Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

Where did Matt say his next record was going to be called Cold Harbour anyway? I missed the posts where he put the demos so was it in there?

I searched mg.org but found nothing contaning Cold Harbour

mod edit: added lyrics to the OP.

Lyrics

1. Extraordinary Fades

2. How It Goes

3. Shallow's Low

4. What If I Can't See The Stars Mildred?

5. Zero Orchestra

6. Non Populus

7. In A Place Of Lesser Men

8. Set Me On Fire

9. Lights Of Endangered Species

Bonus track: Darlin'

Edited by Crusader
topic name change

I didn't think he'd start demoing for a while, but a new album still has to be at least a year and a half away.

I believe the first demoes for Vancouver were posted in 2007. So I think you're right that the next album is a ways away, but it's not unusual for Matt to demo well in advance of recording.

I didn't think he'd start demoing for a while, but a new album still has to be at least a year and a half away.

Avalanche and White Light were recorded about a year apart. You have to also remember that Vancouver sat "in the can" for a long time after being recorded. It's unlikely he wasn't writing any songs between February and October of 2009.

Even if he were to start recording the second his US tour is over (which strikes me as bloody unlikely). Universal would just hold on to the record again out of their fear of frequent releases. I think the thought of another album before 2011 is optimistic to the point of foolishness.

What's funny is... I remember him talking about Universal not wanting to release HM and Vancouver so close to each other.... hence the 2 years and change time..... then I thought they probably considered Live At Massey Hall in there as well, which was what... November 2008? I'm not sure if the label counted the live album as a release, though.

In any event, they seemed to let him put out Avalanche (March 03) and WLRRR (June 04) close enough, plus In A Coma not even 14-15 months after that, so you never know. I hope I got those dates right.

As a side, it's amazing how much stuff he's put out in a time frame that most could never do.

Edited by young37204

What's funny is... I remember him talking about Universal not wanting to release HM and Vancouver so close to each other.... hence the 2 years and change time..... then I thought they probably considered Live At Massey Hall in there as well, which was what... November 2008? I'm not sure if the label counted the live album as a release, though.

In any event, they seemed to let him put out Avalanche (March 03) and WLRRR (June 04) close enough, plus In A Coma not even 14-15 months after that, so you never know. I hope I got those dates right.

As a side, it's amazing how much stuff he's put out in a time frame that most could never do.

The issue wasn't HM and Vancouver - it was Massey and Vancouver. Matt wanted to put Vancouver out in the spring of 2009, and Universal balked because Massey was released at the end of 2008. For them, a release is a release - they want to make sure the last one's dead (and there's some downtime) before starting up on another.

If history's any indication (I seem to say that a lot), we probably won't see Cold Harbour until March of 2011 at the earliest. (I'd say that depends on if he tours again in the fall and/or when he records it - if that's late this year or early next.)

Matt's ability to do the "almost annual" schedule is largely because he's been focused on Canada. Any band trying to break the US can't do it. It takes a full year to adequately tour the entire US - eighteen months if the first year went well. Add six months to write / record / prep an album - pretty much a two-year schedule for most bands.

From the latest entry entitled "From a Distance":

"On September 17, 1862, more Americans fell than in any battle in American history. More than on D-Day, more than during the Guadalcanal campaign, more than during the battle for Tarawa. And that was only Antietam. In 1864, at Cold Harbor, the Union would suffer 12,737 casualties in 13 days. Put into stunning perspective, the Battle For Okinawa, which lasted 82 days, saw some 50,000 Allied casualties. Were the engagement at Cold Harbor to have lasted as long, and produced the same casualty rate as was seen over its 13 days, the result would have been a staggering 76,000. While that sort of math might seem stunning, take into consideration that over three days at Gettysburg the casualty total was almost 50,000 and then apply the same reasoning."

So the title is a Civil War reference it seems...

Matt's actually said the album name isn't going to be Cold Harbor - IIRC, it's just a name he uses for a folder or something. I know I read it but I can't find it now. Hrm.

Oh, but he does have an interest in the Civil War, for sure. I remember talking to him about it in 2008 (Arlington show, so it was topical).

Edited by foresthouse

Have you guys heard this new song Matthew posted for all to hear on his site? He posted it as an example to non M+ members of what you could routinely get as a M+ member. He didn't say what it's called but when I hover the mouse over a player icon it says 'In' so that may just be what it's called.

Anyways, this new stuff sure is sounding different for MG. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It certainly makes me curious as to how the next album will sound though. Does anyone know how much material he has for it?

someone want to get lyrics for this?

"in a place of lesser men"

She goes about her day and keeps her cool until the weekend

In a place of lesser men

Order in some food

Turn on the news and hear some fool say

The world is going to end

Best spend your night under your bed

When she was a girl she learned the word that her boy couldn't say

It's not your currency that spends

In a place of lesser men

She walks from work at night [??]

And I don't worry

She goes about her day and keeps her cool until the weekend

When she was a girl she learned the word that her boy couldn't say

There's nothing worthwhile to defend

In a place of lesser men

I sleep on beds of knives and I hear her thinking [??]

Don't you worry

I'm still trying to figure what should and shouldn't be shared off M+, but I think the title is "In a Place of Lesser Men".

And I'm having trouble tracking how many songs he has so far, since he's posted multiple versions of the same song, often with different titles. I think he's got seven songs so far - but I can only specifically recall five. (He's typically posted a new song and deleted the previous one, so there's usually only one song up at a time.) He's also posted lyrics on many of the entries. It's been a fun ride through the songwriting process.

I personally haven't been listening to the demos too intently. I'm trying to enjoy the teasers without spoiling the final record.

I believe he's aiming for ten songs. Warne's been giving him reactions and suggestions thus far.

EDIT: He did post the lyrics for "In a Place of Lesser Men", but, again, it's part of that "don't know what's supposed to be shared on and off M+" problem.

EDIT 2: Ahh, screw it, you're 95% there. (Anton - if you wouldn't mind leaving your version so I don't look like a total jackass.)

She goes about her day

And keeps her cool until the weekend

In a place of lesser men

Order in some food, turn on the news

Hear some fool say the world is gonna end

Best spend the night under your bed

When she was a girl she learned the words every boy couldn't say

It's not your currency that spends

In a place of lesser men

She walks from work at night

Blood on bait

But I don't worry