Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

This CD is soooooo goooooooooooooood *drools*

I think that it's quite a departure from the rest of Good's catalogue - not just in instrumentation, but mood/ atmosphere/ tone/ what have you; there's a genuine warmth to the record.

Also, "Zero Orchestra" is a cracker ;)

I think it sounds pretty honest and not just there for the sake of being different so I don't think most fans will hate it.

I hate to have to disagree, but I must. I've listened to the album a few times now and, while it has grown on me, I cannot help feeling that some of the orchestration doesn't fit. "Shallows Low" is easily my favourite cut from the record but it is almost completely ruined when the brass kicks in. It sounded lame and unnecessary. I was the same way when I bought the jam packs for Garageband. Every song I recorded had to have strings, brass, piano etc. but obviously I quickly realised that it isn't needed for every song. To me, every song sounds as though there was too much thought put into it. I can fully appreciate Matt trying something new and the new sound is great for him and I will, of course, be catching him on tour but I can't reconcile the amount of brass that is on this record. I daresay I won't be listening to "Zero Orchestra" any time soon. I played it for my girlfriend last night (the person who introduced me to Matt) and she thought it was a joke track. Seriously.

I don't hate the album, far from it, I suppose I didn't know what to expect with this CD. My favourite kind of Matt is Matt with an acoustic guitar and not a whole lot else.

The album's dope. It's a LOT of fun, just go with it folks. It's feeling like a summer-y, city album... it feels like.. maybe those moments of brief clarity you have while pissing in an alley at the end of a night that just flew by.

I hate to have to disagree, but I must. I've listened to the album a few times now and, while it has grown on me, I cannot help feeling that some of the orchestration doesn't fit. "Shallows Low" is easily my favourite cut from the record but it is almost completely ruined when the brass kicks in. It sounded lame and unnecessary. I was the same way when I bought the jam packs for Garageband. Every song I recorded had to have strings, brass, piano etc. but obviously I quickly realised that it isn't needed for every song. To me, every song sounds as though there was too much thought put into it. I can fully appreciate Matt trying something new and the new sound is great for him and I will, of course, be catching him on tour but I can't reconcile the amount of brass that is on this record. I daresay I won't be listening to "Zero Orchestra" any time soon. I played it for my girlfriend last night (the person who introduced me to Matt) and she thought it was a joke track. Seriously.

I don't hate the album, far from it, I suppose I didn't know what to expect with this CD. My favourite kind of Matt is Matt with an acoustic guitar and not a whole lot else.

Maybe it's my changing interests in music but I don't think there is too much brass overall on this record. I only really see Zero Orchestra as being a stretch. Then again, this is based on the demos as I have not heard the finished album yet so maybe I will change my opinion when I hear the CD. I must say, I am really surprised to see you mention Shallow's Low almost being ruined by the orchestration and it sounding lame. I cannot imagine how you would feel that based on the demo anyway as it sounds so spectacular and beautiful to me. Not lame in the slightest. So I really hope the beauty of the demo is still intact on the final version. To each their own though. I agree there's such a thing as putting too much of something and it sounding out of place or overblown but I think at least most of this fits.

You guys are nuts: Zero Orchestra is the shit. That said, my initial impression is one of mild disappointment.

Extraordinary Fades is an ok opener. Nothing that blows my mind, but I like the instrumentation even though it's a bit long (even at under 3:00).

How It Goes is just not my cup of tea. I can't really explain it, but when the strings swell in the beginning, I just find it silly. And the melody is kind of "meh."

Shallow's Low makes me impatient and I find myself fighting for affection until the admittedly awesome ending. Still, pretty good.

What If I Can't See the Stars, Mildred? is ok, but underwhelming.

Zero Orchestra is wicked. Totally love it. I wish there was a bit more vocal dynamic, but still; no complaints.

Non Populus is pretty sweet and holds my attention quite well for such a long track.

In a Place Of Lesser Men is quite good. I dig it. Short and sweet.

Set Me on Fire is awesome.

Lights of Endangered Species I just don't "get." I feel like nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Of 9 tracks, I'd say only 5 of them will be listened to with any degree of frequency. A batting average just slightly above 50% doesn't impress me much. Luckily, the tracks that are good are so good that it still makes the album a more than worthwhile purchase for me.

Edited by Prometheon

I know, I've been trying to create it for the last 4 hours, it won't let me!!! ARGH!!!

You need a credit card with a Canadian billing address otherwise I think you are SOL.

If I remember correctly, if you put a free App in your cart, "None" will appear as a payment option during registration. You still need a Canadian mailing address (I used either a hotel or a post office) to create the account. Once that's done, though, you can use a Canadian iTunes gift card (has to be a Canadian card). They sometimes pop up on eBay, or maybe someone here can pick one up for you. Or, you could get someone in Canada to buy the album for you as a gift in iTunes (which still requires a Canadian iTunes account to receive).

damnit everybody is talking about the demos and I don't know where I can listen to them. ;)

I said a while back that once the album was officially released, I'd consider posting them "somewhere". We're not there yet.

Edited by uglyredhonda

How the hell is he gonna play this live? This idea excites me, because for Vancouver I had the same thought about empty's theme park, and the result was almost felt like a new song. I'm hoping they come up with some interesting ways to play the songs, rather than just not playing the songs at all.

With every MG album, you have a nice blend of 'catchy' songs. I guess its part of the charm. This album doesn't have it. Alot of people are mentioning the brass. I can see both sides. Zero Orchestra is a little over the top, yes.

I loved Non Populous since I first heard it. After hearing the rest of the album it remains my favourite. It belongs on Avalanche, really.

My fiance absolutely loved Vancouver, infact we went to our first MG concert last year. I know shes going to hate this album. Does that mean its bad album? Absolutely not. Its just a different direction.

See I think zero orchestra is catchy as hell. Same with Mildred. If I had to chance to tell Matt anything it would be that this album is a mature album where as there is something for all tastes. I personally like that Matt experimented with new sounds on this album. I didn't get to hear the demo's but I am blown away by the final product. I really hope Matt comes back to the US hopefully Pittsburgh and we can hear these songs live.

The thing is he wrote a few catchier songs, that he scrapped so he wouldn't have to comprimise the album. He knew this album would be hard for new people to come to the material and that it may even alienate some fans but he made something that he truly wanted to do.

This is easily his best release since Avalanche, and with a few listens might rival it. Matt wasn't fucking around when he said this is the best thing he's ever done. The vocals are SPOT ON on this release and the increased piano is fantastic.

This is easily better than HM or Vancouver to me.

Alright, alright, alright - Top 3 favorite songs at the moment...

1) How It Goes

2) Non Populus

3) Set Me on Fire

EDIT: ccf23 - While I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than Hospital Music (for personal reasons, it will always be one of my favorites), I definitely agree that it's one his best. There is so much to love about this CD.

Edited by OriginalSpecies

This is easily his best release since Avalanche, and with a few listens might rival it. Matt wasn't fucking around when he said this is the best thing he's ever done. The vocals are SPOT ON on this release and the increased piano is fantastic.

This is easily better than HM or Vancouver to me.

With Avalanche being my favourite MG/MGB album, I like the sounds of this, that said, I'm not listening to shit until I have that cd in my hands. So, so hard.

With Avalanche being my favourite MG/MGB album, I like the sounds of this, that said, I'm not listening to shit until I have that cd in my hands. So, so hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it sounds like Avalanche, I'm saying that to me it's on the same level as Avalanche. The album feels like a love child, is the best way I can describe it upon early listens which is exactly the way I'd describe Avalanche. While I enjoy Hospital Music and to a lesser extent Vancouver, I don't feel the same sense of connection with them. I feel like this album is MG in his prime the way I felt and still feel Avalanche was. I felt Avalanche was the whole package. To me, there's always things I like about Matt's releases but it never all really seems to come together like it does when I listen to Avalanche. That's the sense I'm getting with early listens of this one.

Guest Bimbly

Where Lights fits, right now:

Underdogs

Beautiful Midnight

White Light

Lights Of Endangered

Audio Of Being

Vancouver

Avalanche

Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts

Hospital Music

Will re-listen to Avalanche tonight maybe.

I've got to say that I am very impressed with most of the album allthough I really don't know what to think about the opener 'Extraordinary Fades' and 'Lights of Endangered Species'. My absolute fav at the moment has to be 'Set Me On Fire', I abslutely love everything about that track. I thought I'd like to defend Zero Orchestra because I really like it. Someone said it sounded like a joke, I must say that I don't understand why. The lyrics are powerful and fun , the vocals are also full of energy just like the instrumentals.

I'm still not sure where I should put this album on my ranking of favorite MG albums, but I would feel disappointed if this record would be unapreciated and underrated.