Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

Amazon.ca is having problems. They sent me an email saying that it is delayed, kinda sounds like they don't know what's happening either, but ok. I can wait. Stream is still online, right? ;)

Yeah, I got the same eMail from them today. I ordered it about three weeks ago, so when I saw the eMail in my inbox this morning, I assumed/hoped that it meant that it had shipped. But they're telling me "We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on May 08 2011". Baffling.

Amazon.ca is having problems. They sent me an email saying that it is delayed, kinda sounds like they don't know what's happening either, but ok. I can wait. Stream is still online, right? ;)

I'm assuming you guys ordered the Cobraside US version. Even if it was a couple of bucks more, you probably should have ordered the Canadian version (and probably still should if you want it anytime soon).

Amazon.ca really shouldn't be selling the US import.

You're welcome Crusader. Have you heard the album yet?

I have some criticism for the record. The amazing instrumental part from the demo is still in Shallow's Low but the guitar in that part is turned up too high on the record in my opinion and seems too noisy. It sort of drowns out the beautiful orchestration in that part. I'm a bit disappointed in it. It still sounds really good, it's just from other songs and parts clearly surpassing the demo I was hoping to be at least as amazed by that part.

Does anyone know if there was strings in the demo of Shallow's Low? I almost thought there was and there isn't on the album so that could have added to it as well. Also I want to say What If I Can't See The Stars Mildred turned out fantastic. I love it. Set Me On Fire is indeed awesome and I'm enjoying Extraordinary Fades more now.

I think "How It Goes" might be one of my favorite Matt Good songs - a deep album cut like "Empty Road," "Bright End of Nowhere," "The Boy Come Home" that doesn't get talked about too much, but for whatever reason strikes a strong, emotional cord with me; fantastic stuff.

Waiting to buy the physical CD before listening to the album. But Tuesday i was in a Loblaws Superstore & literally the ONLY CD they had in the entire store was the new Lady Gaga CD...yet billions of DVD's and videogames. Today (Wednesday) i went to Walmart to find the CD & they said they never got any copies in yet. GGGRRRRR!!!! CANT WAIT TO HEAR IT!!!!

Tomorrow i'm calling around to BestBuy etc. & WILL get it.

Walmart didn't have it? That is really strange. That is where I got the last 2 MG albums.

Original Species, you're far from the only one who's in love with How It Goes. I personally enjoy it quite a bit but it's not my favourite. I have seen many mentions about it though so people are really liking that one.

Crusader, I didn't look it all over but I caught 2 minor mistakes. In Lights, the lyrics are "so in pieces your sons and in pieces your daughters". You just had song instead of sons. In Extraordinary Fades, it's "When I end carry me through the streets of my youth" instead of "Where I end". No biggie. Do you still want that last lyric page?

Original Species, you're far from the only one who's in love with How It Goes. I personally enjoy it quite a bit but it's not my favourite. I have seen many mentions about it though so people are really liking that one.

Happy to hear the song is getting the recognition it deserves! It's just...

3e633_227839420.gif

Edited by OriginalSpecies

Guest Bimbly

I really like the, intended or not, shoegaze ending of Mildred. Around 4:10 that guitar that swells up.

Does MG like My Bloody Valentine? MG, go buy Loveless. Your next record should be even more far out than Lights.

Waiting to buy the physical CD before listening to the album. But Tuesday i was in a Loblaws Superstore & literally the ONLY CD they had in the entire store was the new Lady Gaga CD...yet billions of DVD's and videogames. Today (Wednesday) i went to Walmart to find the CD & they said they never got any copies in yet. GGGRRRRR!!!! CANT WAIT TO HEAR IT!!!!

Why not just get it from HMV?

I really like the, intended or not, shoegaze ending of Mildred. Around 4:10 that guitar that swells up.

Does MG like My Bloody Valentine? MG, go buy Loveless. Your next record should be even more far out than Lights.

No thanks, not an album full of shoegaze. I'm not sure where you hear that anyway. I'll have to listen for it later.

The lap steel and guitar and whatnot in Mildred really make it sound grand. I also love the added organ or whatever it is in Shallow's Low.

I really like the new album. I spoiled it somewhat once again by listening to demo's, it's just too hard not to. My only complaints is that there is occasionally too much brass, and I think he really needs to have a drummer write the drum parts of his songs, just playing them with his hands on garageband doesn't do the rest of his work justice.

There were quite a few new cd's at my corner Mac's store. Kind of surprised me. I hope you find what ur looking for!

I don't see why some people are taking such issue with the drums. I can see it with Vancouver somewhat but I think the drums are improved and fine for this album. I don't think he just got Blake to play the drums exactly as they were played on the demos, or maybe I just don't know jack about drumming.

Guest jjazz

That just so happens to be my favourite part of that song. The use of that 3rd guitar in there just kinda of sliding down and up the neck at 4:10 was a lot more prominent in the demo, which was kind of a bummer hearing the final product, personally. Still one of my favourite tracks, and one of the few times I've been so torn between album versions and demo versions. Of course the production is waaaaayy better on the album, and the vocals ride the song so much harder.

As far as the drums go, I'm in agreeance with a couple of the above comments. Drumming or percussion arrangements for that matter, don't appear to be one of his strong suits in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure he knows that which is obvious since he doesn't drum on the record. Gotta give it up for the guy though, because it sure sounds like he has a very specific direction for these songs, and those demos go nuts with the drum parts. He obviously puts a lot of effort into all aspects of the record/demos.

Matt isn't a professional drummer, but he knows well enough that if he was, THIS is what he would want it to sound like.

It's a great record. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. It's one of his most consistent works to date, and one reason I think it's so great is you really have to listen to it front to back in order to really be captured by it.

I gotta say, I think I would be up for Matt doing a big band-esque record, or maybe just an EP. Call me crazy but he did so good and unique with it. I'm not saying I'd want every song as extravagant as Zero Orchestra but I'd be fine with one or two. Also, who else loves the intensity and style of Matt's vocals in the song? It's refreshing to hear and while I wouldn't want too many songs with it, Matt sounds really good on the song. I can't explain it, there's just such a fire in his voice like you hardly hear. I think it will be the song of the summer and could be a big hit for Matt.

What lyrics do you peeps like from the album? I've got a few right now.

Set Me On Fire

Can't afford to wake up

Can't afford not to either

In A Place Of Lesser Men

Order in some food, turn on the news, hear some fool say

The world is going to end

Best spend the night under your bed

Extraordinary Fades

Where man become machine looks death to live again

What If I Can't See The Stars Mildred?

If I'm the crazy one then what the fuck's with everyone else?/

Baby you gotta do what you gotta do

Non Populus

What you escape

Let it be done to you

What you take away

Let it be done to you

For what you war

Let it be done to you

What you ignore

Let it be done to you

Lights of Endangered Species

And get beat to shit for you/

So in pieces your sons and in pieces your daughters

Edited by Manchalivin

Guest Bimbly
Where Lights fits, right now:

Underdogs

Beautiful Midnight

White Light

Lights Of Endangered

Audio Of Being

Vancouver

Avalanche

Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts

Hospital Music

Will re-listen to Avalanche tonight maybe.

OK, I re-listened to all save for Last and Hospital Music. I'll get around to them.

Putting nostalgia aside, I'd put Vancouver ahead of Audio now. In reevaluating, I'd say The Boy Who Could, Vancouver National, A Silent Army, and Empty's Theme Park are higher than Audio's highs. I'm not big on Nights (just sounds like the end of Avalanche to me) or Us Remains. I tried. An ongoing beef with Vancouver though is this recycled melodic motif that shows up in at least three songs. I've probably typed about it before.

Fought to Fight It is kind of a fun MGB throwback. It's never been a favourite, though. I wish Bad Pennies was on the record. I suppose it wouldn't fit the theme.

Has anybody ever talked about how much Matt sings about fire? Being on fire, setting fire, roasting marshmallows on bonfires of dead bodies.

Anyway, I really like Lights. The only songs I'm still iffy on are Set Me On Fire and Lights. The rest are pretty great. I'm surprised at the amount of instrumental passages on the album. It's nice.