Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

Minor, minor, minor complaint / question. I got the physical cd (awesome stuff, btw), but when I put it into itunes it declared the album was by Matthew Good Band. An Easy enough fix, but it's also refusing to let me download the album artwork (regardless of whether I have the album listed as the band, or just him). It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I like my digital album artwork. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Please note that Canada Post workers have begun rolling strike actions as of 11:59 PM EDT, on Thursday, June 2. During this strike period, postal workers will be going on strike in single cities throughout Canada at different intervals.

MapleMusic.com will continue to process and ship orders during this time, however please be advised that orders may experience delays in transit as a result of the rolling strike. Orders shipped from the MapleMusic.com warehouse within the weeks leading up to the strike may also experience delays in transit. This affects both domestic and international orders.

Canada Post has plans in place to ensure mail service returns to normal operations as quickly as possible following any work disruption, but please be advised that due to the volume of mail that is expected to enter the Canada Post system following a strike, there could also be delays on any parcels shipped after the strike period.

If you have any questions about your order, please contact [email protected].

Really? Really? Figures. ;)

Guest jjazz
Minor, minor, minor complaint / question. I got the physical cd (awesome stuff, btw), but when I put it into itunes it declared the album was by Matthew Good Band. An Easy enough fix, but it's also refusing to let me download the album artwork (regardless of whether I have the album listed as the band, or just him). It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I like my digital album artwork. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Just google "Lights Of Endangered Species" and copy and paste one of the images into iTunes. That's what I did. When I got the CD first day it didn't even give me any album info. Had to do it all myself.

I think "How It Goes" might be one of my favorite Matt Good songs - a deep album cut like "Empty Road," "Bright End of Nowhere," "The Boy Come Home" that doesn't get talked about too much, but for whatever reason strikes a strong, emotional cord with me; fantastic stuff.

I agree, 'How it Goes' is the best surprise on this record. However, the more I listen to LOES, the more it feels like a natural progression from AOB... or at least some of that album, like 'the rat who would be king' and 'i, the throwaway'. And also 'a long way down' from Avalanche. WLRRR was such a huge turning point stylistically, so much more direct and bare-boned. Rough, even. That sound has sustained and filtered through his records right up to Vancouver; I think Matt's come back around, ready to (as Nina Simone would put it) 'sit back and let it groove on it's own thang.' New musical chapter for real, I'm damn happy to hear it!

Just google "Lights Of Endangered Species" and copy and paste one of the images into iTunes. That's what I did. When I got the CD first day it didn't even give me any album info. Had to do it all myself.

Cheers, Jesse. I didn't know adding artwork manually was even an option.

"Non populus" is my favorite one... The other songs in the new CD... well, I don't know what to say, actully... I feel a bit disappointed with the new stuff... Guess I need to listen to it a bit more...

Regards,

Juanpe

Thanks for the lyrics, by the way... For those of us who are not native speakers of English it helps a lot :-)

Regards from Madrid,

Juanpe

Where did Matt say his next record was going to be called Cold Harbour anyway? I missed the posts where he put the demos so was it in there?

I searched mg.org but found nothing contaning Cold Harbour

mod edit: added lyrics to the OP.

Lyrics

1. Extraordinary Fades

2. How It Goes

3. Shallow's Low

4. What If I Can't See The Stars Mildred?

5. Zero Orchestra

6. Non Populus

7. In A Place Of Lesser Men

8. Set Me On Fire

9. Lights Of Endangered Species

Bonus track: Darlin'

Another day passes, another day Lights of Endangered Species is not in my mailbox.

The suspense is killin' me. Damn you Maple Music and Canadian Postal Strike.

Geez y'know it's up everywhere, you can DL it pretty easily... I wouldn't have your strength! It's SO. GOOD.

I had in my head that the first time I wanted to listen to it was when the CD arrived in my mailbox and when I could put my headphones on and shut the door zone out for 50 minutes. It's been tough reading all the positive reviews and having to wait. I'm very excited to get it...but I will stick by my initial plan!

I DID listen to the single when it was released and I downloaded the bonus track. I felt like I was entitled to that much. But yeah, I'm gonna wait it out for that moment.

That really sucks that you waited it out all this time and there just happens to be a stupid strike to screw you over right now.

I don't blame you wanting to wait though. You waited this long, you might as well wait to hear it in proper cd format. I hope it comes soon for you.

Guest jjazz
I had in my head that the first time I wanted to listen to it was when the CD arrived in my mailbox and when I could put my headphones on and shut the door zone out for 50 minutes. It's been tough reading all the positive reviews and having to wait. I'm very excited to get it...but I will stick by my initial plan!

I DID listen to the single when it was released and I downloaded the bonus track. I felt like I was entitled to that much. But yeah, I'm gonna wait it out for that moment.

Would you mind throwing that bonus track up in the NF Lounge?

Lights of Endangered Species came in the mail today. I closed the door of my bedroom and finally listened to it all the way through without interruption. I had only heard In A Place of Lesser Men before this.

I think this is an awesome album. I do not think there is too much brass. I think it fits the theme, the sound that he was going for throughout. This album must be listened to in context to everything else he's ever done. It stands as a worthy progression.

I got such a chill, such goosebumps from Non Populus. It's easily one of his best songs ever.

I'm not sure what else to say right now. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the layers of sound I just heard! It was incredible! I have to listen to it more obviously.

Kickass, Mr. Good.

Edited by Gomo

----

Listened to the full album just now. A bit underwhelmed, but i'll have to give it a few more listens. It is quite different for him and is style most certainly. I'm not a big trumpet guy or into big band-style brass, so songs like Zero Orchestra turned me off in parts. I guess this new style just isnt 100% my cup of tea. Also, is vocals are very subdued on this album (except for Zero Orchestra where he was really leaning it to it with an edge), at least in terms of is trademark clean, belting notes that send chills up the spine and carry much melody. I found his vocals to be increasingly less in this style in the last few years, and moving to vibrato parts which i think he over-uses compared to the beautiful gift of his wailing melodies.

Im very glad Matt got to make the album he always wanted, nonetheless. A wonderful freedom for an artist not to give a flying fuck what someone like me will think.

But there were definitely high parts to this album. Non Populus is my fav track, excellent track. The flute on How It Goes is beautiful. Shallow's Low is one of my fav track, the one i 1st wanted to listen to again after i listened to the whole CD. I really like the jazzy saxophone and that odd instrument that pops in, especially at the end, maybe its the Claratron.

The lyrics are of course excellent. I'm very intrigued by the lyrics in LOES. ''It's spilling over on your shoulders. The Dawn". Fav lyrics so far. Wow, what a way to end an album!

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

I really just enjoy how different it is. I think, like Matt said, that this was an album he needed to make.

If I had any criticisms I would say maybe Non Populus could have been better served as the closer, and the transitions between songs sometimes are a bit jarring. These are really minor. I can't wait to play the shit out of this album.

I actually really like Lights of Endangered Species as the closer. I think it's the closest Matt gets to 'belting it out' on the whole album (Zero Orchestra is more sing/shout-y), and it only comes at the very end. I really like those lyrics as well Moonlight, it's a great way to end the album.

It's a subdued, yet grand and fitting ender.

After a couple more listens I would agree with that. Great ending. It's refreshing that he had other people do more of the backing vocals this time.

Listened to the album a few times now. The first 3 tracks are absolutely beautiful. i think about 85% of the album is fantastic. Still not wild on "...Mildred"', nor the first 2/3 of LOES, but the lyrics and ending to LOES are magnificent.

I very much appreciate Matt discussing briefly the meanings to each of the songs during his "ExploreMusic" interview/listening party. It really adds to the meaning of the songs for me, to uncover a bit of the puzzle but still relate what he's saying to my life. I wish he did this for most of his other albums, ie: i never knew Avalanche was about bipolar disorder, and when he revealed that it became one of my favorite songs and the lyrics so personal for me.

Avalanche is about bipolarity? Strange, he wasn't even diagnosed yet...where did you hear that, I'd love to listen to the interview!

Otherwise I really like this record and, as Moonlight said, the meaning of the songs really help! LOES for example I really started liking a lot after knowing what the lyrics were. THe meaning are part of the song and its arrangements!

Avalanche is about bipolarity? Strange, he wasn't even diagnosed yet...where did you hear that, I'd love to listen to the interview!

I don't remember the source, it was around the release of Hospital Music i believe, he said that a lot of the Avalanche album was about his mania/depression...yes even though he wasn't diagnosed but obviously going through these feelings. Read the lyrics to the Avalanche song, it is quite obvious.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham