Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

I don't remember the source, it was around the release of Hospital Music i believe, he said that a lot of the Avalanche album was about his mania/depression...yes even though he wasn't diagnosed but obviously going through these feelings. Read the lyrics to the Avalanche song, it is quite obvious.

It's not that obviously about specifically bipolarity to me. I interpret the lyrics as dealing with the darker/destructive side of human nature in general, on a personal scale and collectively, and how difficult it is to navigate our day-to-day lives in the face of so much relative chaos the world over. Which IS kinda depressing...

I too turn the volume up on this album. If I go for a walk I pretty much keep it full blast on the cd as well. I'm thinking it was intentional to have the loud really loud and the quiet really quiet on this to give dynamic or whatever. Interestingly I don't think his other albums are really like that.

I too turn the volume up on this album. If I go for a walk I pretty much keep it full blast on the cd as well. I'm thinking it was intentional to have the loud really loud and the quiet really quiet on this to give dynamic or whatever. Interestingly I don't think his other albums are really like that.

They're not. Even Warne's MGB albums aren't very dynamic. It's definitely a (good) departure.

It's pretty good when you can still be amazed and hear new things after several listens. I think this album really has some of MG's very best music. It pretty much has it all. He took everything he's done, perfected the shit out of it, and did a very fine job of adding plenty of new things. Not just instrumentally, but stylistically and structurally. I think this has a great balance and he ordered the songs very well. Shallow's Low is definitely my favourite song right now and I am especially getting into How It Goes and Extraordinary Fades lately. EF is a freaking cool, unique, awesomely subtle song for him.

I mean, NINE ALBUMS in and he comes out with something like this? Arguably the most creative and inspired album of his career. Now there is a true artist who knows music and is passionate about his craft.

I did say arguably. Avalanche and Beautiful Midnight are probably my favourite albums by him and this album likely won't surpass them but it's possible it could tie them. It's a ways away for that though.

I've come to really appreciate Hospital Music and it might be one of Matt's best solo albums. LOES has some of his most creative and inspired music though. I am sure of that.

So how do I fix the cd from being imported into iTunes as a totally separate album.

For Example There is folder for his solo work, and then one for the Matthew Good Band, but the new cd shows up as Matthew Good in its own folder.

You can always just move the LoES into the solo folder with the rest of the solo stuff. I would also maybe go into itunes, highlight all the songs from LoES, right click>get info and then manually enter artist/album info to keep it consistent with how the rest of it is organized. I'm also really anal about stuff like this on my own computer.

Personally, I think this album is the best of his solo career. I think Matt really pushed himself creatively, and to be able to write and record an album without worrying about what the label is going to think allowed Matt to break free of the mold he'd been poured into. Don't get me wrong, it's still distinctly Matt Good, but to me it feels like a natural progression of his sound based on what he's done in the past and where he finds himself in his life now.

I absolutely love Mildred. After I heard the demo, it took a while to grow on me, but now I just can't get enough of it. How it Goes, Set Me on Fire and Endangered Species round out my favorite tracks, but it's a really solid album, and one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard. Warne Livesey managed to capture some incredible sounds on this album, like in the title track, right after he sings "set something, anything, on fire" there are three piano notes that you can hear just warbling in the air as they ring out. Gives me chills every time.

Also, I appear to be the only person I know who doesn't think Avalanche is a masterpiece of an album.

I think it doesn't need to be as long as it is. A couple songs could be cut in my opinion (like Song For The Girl, Pledge of Allegiance, 21st Century Living) even though they're decent songs, but it wouldn't break my heart if they weren't there. Other than that though I think the album is pretty much gold.

MG's triple three - Beautiful Midnight>Avalanche>Underdogs

I like Lights, but it's not like anything he's ever released before. When I first listened to it I thought "Oh, this is Vancouver 2.0" but after a month of listening to it, I keep on finding different and new things to enjoy from it. I think for me when I first listened to it there wasn't a single track that POPPED out to me. It's more of an album that you have to listen to from start to finish. To me, is it my favourite album? No, it's not.

My favourite track off of it is Set Me On Fire.

In terms of solo I would say it's between Avalanche and Hospital Music for me. Avalanche probably takes the cake because there are just so many quintessential songs on there imo... I don't know where I'd rank LOES yet.

Guest jjazz
I like Lights, but it's not like anything he's ever released before. When I first listened to it I thought "Oh, this is Vancouver 2.0" but after a month of listening to it, I keep on finding different and new things to enjoy from it. I think for me when I first listened to it there wasn't a single track that POPPED out to me. It's more of an album that you have to listen to from start to finish. To me, is it my favourite album? No, it's not.

My favourite track off of it is Set Me On Fire.

I agree with this. In my opinion although this is one of Matt's most original endeavors, at first listen it sounds like a very smooth flowing record alongside Vancouver. Same with Avalanche and WLRRR, they seem terrific paired up together, yet they're so different from each other. To be honest, I think Hospital Music is Matt's most different sounding record, because it's clearly a standalone piece. Because it cements such an important and individual period in his life, it seems to break a certain sonic pattern that you familiarize yourself with when listening to his discography chronologically.

I was asked my least favourite song on the album the other day and found it extremely difficult to answer. I suppose it's Shallow's Low, but to me the album is so good front to back that it's hard to pick one.

Of his solo releases to me it's pretty clearly:

Avalanche > LOES > WLR&RR > Hospital Music = Vancouver

I'll probably get shit for having White Light so high, but fuck that, it's a great rock and roll album.

Edited by ccf23

Hell yes, WLRRR is my still my favourite damn album! There's just no fucking around whatsoever, it is a freight train.

Shallows Low and How It Goes are my two top tracks from LOES. I played Shallow's for a friend, and he couldn't get over the fact that Matt doesn't sing past a minute or so through. Such a great contrast from his previous compositions. The only knit-picking I'd make with it is the 'sound' of the drums that come in with the horns at 3:14. It has that same muted/dull feel as a lot of the drumming on Vancouver.

I was asked my least favourite song on the album the other day and found it extremely difficult to answer. I suppose it's Shallow's Low, but to me the album is so good front to back that it's hard to pick one.

I'll probably get shit for having White Light so high, but fuck that, it's a great rock and roll album.

I'm not going to give you shit for having "White Light..." so high, but I will give you shit for "Hospital Music" being so low! Here you go...

12751397166FACD8.jpg

I continually vacillate between Avalanche, HM and LOES... might give a slight edge to Avalanche just because we have so much history together :angry: But don't make me choose between HM and LOES!

The thing about Avalanche is that it's a very rich record - there's a plethora of punchy singles (Weapon, IAWCC, NF) and visceral melodies (WWWHR, Avalanche); and while there are a few "meh" tunes (21st..., that dumb girl song), there's also a slew of hidden gems spread throughout (PoA, Bright End..., House of S&M (lol)).

Hospital Music, on the other hand, is very warm - understated, but not afraid to throw down; kind of like a good friend who's got your back, but is willing to be blunt, even if it hurts a little.

I still haven't pegged LOES, yet... I just know I can't stop listening to it ;)

Edited by OriginalSpecies

Guest jjazz

LOES is a gift from a really close friend after they missed your birthday a couple times. They come up to you and say "hey, remember how back in the day we did this on your birthday and you loved it? Well, I loved it too. So much that I took some time to put it together and really get it right this time. I think you'll probably appreciate it. If you don't, that's ok. I totally understand. But just know it's the thought that counts."

Avalanche is a night out on the town with your best friend after his girlfriend breaks up with him. It's all about him. He might make a couple mistakes here and there, but all in all he had a really fun night.

WLRRR is the same as Avalanche, except it's a night out with no notice at all. Your buddy pulls up to your place and tells you you're going to Vegas. You're gonna gamble and get it out of your system because you've never been to Vegas before. Oh and also, you record that night live off the floor with vintage equipment.

I just saw an ad on tv for LOES. That was different.

Also, has Zero Orchestra played on any of your local radio stations? I just saw it played on London's FM96 and it's kind of exciting to see such a song play on rock radio.

Edited by Manchalivin

Was it edited at all? I'm kinda curious how a radio-edit of that would sound.

The only place I can really see the edits coming are the break between the first chorus and 2nd verse, shortening the "solo" before the 2nd chorus, and then fading out a little bit earlier than on the album.