Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

This might be a dumb question, but does anybody know if it's possible for M+ members to download previously released demos?

I stupidly had all the tracks saved in a folder on my desktop and when it came time to reformat my computer I thought I had everything backed up, but skipped over my desktop folders (most of them being pure garbage). I managed to retrieve "Zero Orchestra" from his website, but everything else seems lost. Even looking in the wp-content directly turned up no results. Is all hope lost? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Actually, according to an answer I got from Matt via the 'ask me anything' thing he did around Christmas time, the length of the album is approximately 47:00 minutes. Also, keep in mind this is a 9 song album so that's a pretty long album based on that.

Non Populus, by title, definitely sounds like a Matt Good song. I know this will be his last album for a while. I know he says he'll go the route of shorter releases going forward, but we'll see.

At any rate I certainly hope that he tours both Canada and the U.S. again. New York treated him well last time out...except for that guy that belched really loud during Avalanche. Everything else was incredible though. What a great show that was.

Part of me is really happy to have heard the demos and the process and part wishes I never heard anything from this particular album (except maybe the single) until it is released. Because while I'm glad because it's a high quality work to me, it would be that much more exciting first hearing this not knowing what to expect. Also the thought of the surprise coming off of Vancouver. But this album of all albums I'm sure will sound quite a bit different yet in the final versions compared to the demos so I'm sure there may still be some surprises. When asked which song sounds the most different from its demo version Matt said either: "most of them" or "all of them". Not to mention it sounding that much nicer and grander with real instruments and great production. I am trying to hold off until it's released to listen to it in its complete form though. I hope he doesn't preview it so I don't have anything to resist.

The fact that everything was previewed in M+ was good for me because since I didn't buy a membership I didn't spoil the album to this point. It's what I've been trying to do for the last few albums and failed at. I haven't had a Matt Good musical surprise since, well, Rooms and WLR&RR. Vancouver was great but it wasn't a surprise by that point. This will be.

The fact that everything was previewed in M+ was good for me because since I didn't buy a membership I didn't spoil the album to this point. It's what I've been trying to do for the last few albums and failed at. I haven't had a Matt Good musical surprise since, well, Rooms and WLR&RR. Vancouver was great but it wasn't a surprise by that point. This will be.

I can't help but feel the same way - while I certainly would have loved to listen to the demos when they were previewed, I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity to do so. To be honest, the demos are kinda what ruined Vancouver for me - after being so familiar with the rough cuts, I suppose I just expected more from the actual release. It wasn't until a year after I went back to the album that I eventually "got it."

Still, I certainly don't mind reading people's impressions of the songs ;)

Anyone know what the status of For and Against is? Is it going to be on the album, or an iTunes exclusive?

from what I understand he recorded the following tracks, I'm just not sure what he's doing with For and Against

Lights of Endangered Species

Set Me On Fire

How It Goes

What If I Can't See the Stars Mildred

In a Place of Lesser Men

Extraordinary Fades

Non Populus

Shallow's Low

For and Against

Edited by IamNick

Album officially called "Lights of Endangered Species", tracklist as follows:

1] Extraordinary Fades

2] How It Goes

3] Shallow's Low

4] What If I Can't See The Stars Mildred?

5] Zero Orchestra

6] Non Populus

7] In A Place Of Lesser Men

8] Set Me On Fire

9] Lights Of Endangered Species

He will be streaming the first single on the site, though what song that will be hasn't been decided, and he may or may not stream the entire record.

Had no idea what "For and Against" was, but I just listened to it along with a few other demos (apparently b-sides) available via youtube... wow. Solid tunes; can't wait to hear the material that end up on the record.

EDIT: And thank you, johnny ;)

EDIT #2: And may I say, I love "Die Like Kings:; a shame it's not going to be on the new album. Also just discovered Danielle French whilst scouring youtube for more Matthew Good rarities (apparently he co-wrote a song of hers titled "Worthy")... really liking her stuff!

Edited by OriginalSpecies

What's Zero Orchestra!? Never heard of that one, did he release it as a demo? Maybe it was an old demo he renamed? I thought I had them all. Anyway, thanks for the tracklisting. I thought I read somewhere the album was only going to be 8 tracks and one would be an iTunes exclusive? Oh well I can't complain about there being more tracks than I anticipated.

Zero Orchestra is the final demo he came up with. He was trying to re-work Hornets into something that fit the album and he liked and came up with ZO instead which is a completely different song from Hornets and I much prefer ZO. In my opinion it's the most upbeat song of his career and very catchy but in a different way. You may be shocked when you hear it, it is VERY different for MG.

I quite like Die Like Kings but I think I definitely prefer A Short Time on Earth version and it's one of the songs I most wish had made it to the album. But it depends on my mood.

A complete list of songs he demoed:

A Little Something To Fall Asleep To

A Short Time On Earth

All The Time In The World

All You Sons And Daughters

cr.

Darling

Dawn

Die Like Kings

Extraordinary Fades

For And Against

Homecoming

Hornets (Rock Version)

Hornets (Horns Version)

Hornets (Instrumental Horns Version)

Hornets (2nd Rock Version)

How It Goes

I Once Saw A Magician Cut You In Half

In A Place Of Lesser Men

Lights Of Endangered Species

Non Populus

Set Me On Fire

Shallow's low

We Are A Place

What If I Can't See The Stars, Mildred?

Zero Orchestra

Info:

"A Little Something To Fall Asleep To" became "We Are A Place" when he extended it and added lyrics.

"All The Time In The World" is an evolved version of "A Short Time On Earth".

"Die Like Kings" is an evolved version of "All The Time In The World".

"cr." is a song loosely based off of the Hawaii Five-O theme song.

"Homecoming" became "Shallow's Low" after Matt's daughter was singing the chorus to "Homecoming as 'We're all shallow's low' instead of 'We're all going home'.

"Dawn" and "I Once Saw A Magician Cut You In Half" merged to form "Lights Of Endangered Species".

"Lights Of Endangered Species" is the album name.

"What If I Can't See The Stars, Mildred?" has been re-written the most, changing a line in a verse or the entire bridge.

Edited by LostAndFoundAndLostAgain