Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

This is definitely the most "standard" and radio friendly of all the songs on the album, so I wouldn't judge the album from this. I knew this one was going to be the single as soon as he finalized the track listing. There is a lot more different and interesting stuff coming once you hear the whole album (just judging from the demos).

I'm a little suprised at how identical this ended up being to the demo version, I was expecting things to have been tweaked and changed a bit more. I'm not getting too much from this, because I first heard it a year ago and it's pretty much the same thing (not saying it's a bad song). It makes me kind of regret listening to all the demos as they came out, but I couldn't resist M+ and I can't stand not being in the loop.

I kind of agree with the comments on the drums. I thought the drums could have been a lot more interesting on Vancouver, and I'm hearing the same thing here. It's a combination of them being really simple and not sounding "alive". I was hoping that would be improved with Warne Livesey producing again. I can see Blake is an awesome drummer from watching him live. I think it's because Matt demos drums by tapping his fingers on a keyboard and then they don't get expanded in the studio for some reason.

Anyway, overall it's a great song, I really like the piano sound that was used on this version.

I can agree about the drumming on this song, it does sound like the drumming on Vancouver and lacks punch. I think that is only thing that kind of disappoints me about the finished version though. But I think the album has some more interesting drumming, just not this song.

Overall, it sounds really nice to me and as has been said, this is definitely one of the most standard songs on the album but to me it still has quite a different sound from Matt's other stuff. It reminds me of the Beatles a little bit, and has kind of an old-ish sound which is cool. I really like how the piano sounds and other sounds stick out more in this completed version but there really isn't much different here compared to the demo, which is kind of a good thing. I like how the end guitar part sounds here, it sounds unique.

If this is too plain or ordinary for some of you, I don't think you should be concerned yet because I'm sure most will warm up to the album. It may just take some time to get used to.

Edited by Manchalivin

I'm an M+ Member and I think that you should take everything said on this forum with a grain of salt. The majority of people posting here are probably going to be buying your record, and many will see you in the Fall including myself. When I make comments that I'm not blown away or the first single is forgettable, it's only because my standards for your work are so incredibly high.

For example, if I had never heard a single Matthew Good song in my life I would have thought the single was REALLY good.

But knowing your talent, I think the single is still great in comparison to 95% of all music out there, I just expect to be blown away for some reason.

I think, if anything, the people on near fantastica are going to be the ones appreciating this new album the most.

Keep up the great work Matt.

This post describes my feelings exactly as well.

It's a really good song, I really like it. If I hadn't heard it before many times in demo form over the past year, I would be talking more about how I really like it. It's just because I already know the song well, I tend to pick apart the final product more than focusing on how good it actually is.

I'm definitely going to be buying the album, I'll probably buy it the minute it is released on iTunes in addition to picking up a hard copy CD. I'm looking forward to going to my 3rd Matthew Good show in the fall as well.

Guest jjazz

When I first heard the demo, all I could think was "this sounds like a Beatles song", anyone but me think that's still true? Especially the bassline, reminds me of something you'd hear off Sgt Peppers.

When I first heard the demo, all I could think was "this sounds like a Beatles song", anyone but me think that's still true? Especially the bassline, reminds me of something you'd hear off Sgt Peppers.

I thought the same listening to it this morning for the first time, 'across the universe' came to mind... good song. I wish there was a bit more to it, but I'm rather pleased to hear matt bang one out rather than dragging one out. If I can relate this to anything in the catalogue it's kinda like 'oh be joyful', with that sweet palm muted riff that breaks before the final chorus ;) rooms was a really great collection... but i digress.

Guest Bimbly

Huh. Sounds like Matt bought an Elliott Smith record. I think I remember posting I wish he'd care about chords more like ES. ha I'm into this.

That sounds slightly dismissive, or patronizing. It was meant to be a compliment. I'm really liking this song. It even has that "don't you worry" bit which is more evocative of classic MG.

I actually quite like what I've heard from the album so far. I know I haven't really updated the news often enough but I've been pretty busy with work/school lately. I'll hopefully have more time to update the news after this Friday.

I thought the same thing. I'm super excited for this album, I've heard all the demos (except Zero Orchestra!) and I think this might be my new favourite MG album.

ps. as far as the drums go, i think they fit the Beatles comparison nicely ;)

Also anyone else disappointed We are a Place didn't make it onto the record? I think that was my favourite demo.

It was by far my favourite of the demos I've heard as well. I don't know how it would fit on an album, though. To me it feels "finished" in demo form. Like a gem to satisfy those who love the artist enough to seek out the demos and b sides.

Just heard the single for the 1st time, and I think it will take time for it grow on me. Being a loyal fan I will still attend shows, and buy the album.

The drums do sound canned, and over all I just feel the song is a bit short, and I am not to thrill with how it just stops at the end.

The song is pretty mediocre for me. Not great, not horrible, just doesn't do much for me . Not a radio single that will move a ton of records, in my opinion. It doesn't have a great hook like most of the "Vancouver" tracks (Matt's most hook-laden record i think) But i can't say i'm totally worried about the full album, since Last Parade was the first single from "Vancouver" and it was one of my least favorite tracks on that album (though not a bad track at all, enjoyed it more than this).

This is definitely a different sounding tune, (ie: the piano tone is pretty unique). But i like unique. Parts of the song do sound very "digital" or "produced", for better or worse, much different than WLRRR.

I haven't listened to most of the demos because i wanted to wait for the full album, so i'm still very excited for the record.

It's my first time hearing anything off the album.

Just like what was already said, we all have high expectations of MG because of how incredible previous albums have been so that's why we're more critical. Not to sound like a kiss-ass on here, but Matt is my favorite musician and I view his music/talents very highly. So when something he does is - at first listen - only slightly better than almost everything else on the radio these days, we judge it harshly.

I still really liked the song and can't wait to hear more of the album. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of us will be getting the album and coming to see you live. If everything else you've done has been great and the very least of that still very good, this album will be no exception. Who cares if it's "different" like everyone keeps saying, there is fairly strong differences between every MG album and they're all timeless and amazing.

I agree with Matt in that I may be disappointed with the album. Which is not an insult to Matt or myself. You grow up or have a period of your life you associate with a certain type of music, and you stick with it. Then, when the artist moves in a different direction, you feel "betrayed", or something. (I don't feel betrayed, haha, just people just seem to feel so about bands sometimes)

My "time" for getting into MG was Audio of Being and Avalanche. So for me those types of sounds are representative of his work. So naturally I like deviations less than similar sounds. So I like White Light less, and Vancouver more, for example.

So for this album, I'm guessing I'll like it less than normal. Like the man said, no big deal. It's not an insult, or even wrong, to have varying tastes.

Regardless of what I eventually think of the album (haven't heard anything except this song), I'll always see Matt when he performs in Regina or Saskatoon. Almost nothing else beats him live, although the Saskatoon crowd sucked last time he was there.

So keep calm and carry on. As he gets older his music is bound to mellow out a bit (even if he can't see it ;) ). I always wonder what it would be like to have past versions of artists listen to their later work. Would they call them "sell-outs", or say they've "gone soft?" Matt's done neither, but inevitably people try new things. Sometimes people like it, sometimes they don't. He's not making music for us, he's making it for himself, and presumably some money!

Even if, in the end, I don't think this is my favourite album, I hope we all agree it's better to deviate a bit once in a while and try new things and styles. I mean, I love Beautiful Midnight. But if there were 10 albums in a row with the exact same sound, would it wear on us as well?

Just my thoughts.

I'm going to have to agree with the person who said the song reminds them of The Beatles - can't put my finger on why exactly, but I'm enjoying it regardless; a kind of chilled, quasi-laid back vibe with heavy lyrics. I was a little disappointed at first, but I suppose the huge burden of it being the "big single" affected my expectations (and honestly, aside from "Weapon," I can't think of a first single from hardly any of my favorite artists that I've legitimately been thrilled about).

I have no idea what the rest of the record will sound like, but right now I'm content... and also curious as to how the song will sound with regards to its placement on the album.

I'm going to have to agree with the person who said the song reminds them of The Beatles - can't put my finger on why exactly, but I'm enjoying it regardless; a kind of chilled, quasi-laid back vibe with heavy lyrics. I was a little disappointed at first, but I suppose the huge burden of it being the "big single" affected my expectations (and honestly, aside from "Weapon," I can't think of a first single from hardly any of my favorite artists that I've legitimately been thrilled about).

I have no idea what the rest of the record will sound like, but right now I'm content... and also curious as to how the song will sound with regards to its placement on the album.

I was pretty stoked about 'born losers'