Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

I've always thought that the songs Matt chooses as radio songs are most often some of the worst on the album. I enjoy this song, so if he is following the same pattern this album should be pretty sweet.

I'm quite sure it's not Matt who chooses which songs will be singles.

I'm quite sure it's not Matt who chooses which songs will be singles.

Really? I have no idea how it works, but that would really suck considering that's what people expect to hear night after night while on tour.

Guest Bimbly

Born Losers was great.

The song is Beatles-esque because of that chromatic descending piano and the Ringo drums, playing weird accents. The turnaround after the descending bit (A, E, F#m-- dunno what key it's in, just pulling this from my brain) is Beatle-ish but puts me more in mind of Elliott Smith, though Good ends on a minor. My mind goes to a major.

The rest of the song is pretty standard MG. I can't think of how it goes when I'm not listening to it really, but I can vaguely hear the bridge (chorus?) in my head because it's so "Matt Good".

Maybe I am wrong in thinking it would do well at radio then. It is a very unusual song for MG but I still thought it was very catchy and would possibly bring him new fans.

It's subjective of course. It could definitely bring him in new fans. I'm not convinced it'll bring in the old fans hearing it for the first time though.

Can't say I'm huge on the single and the record being different doesn't excite me too much, but if I've learned anything about Matt's work it's that if you don't like the sound of one of his records theres a good chance that the next one won't sound anything like this one so no biggie.

Thanks for the post Matt, glad you made a record you wanted to make...if it doesn't do well, there can always be an alt-rock record next time...

I just got shivers listening to Non Populus.....

I think this album is exactly what I'm looking for. My taste in music has shifted over the last few years from standard guitar-bass-drums rock into anything that I think sounds good, and I think this sounds good.

Also I fucking love piano so Matt saying Piano is leading on this album is fantastic.

Edited by IamNick

I have stated that i was lukewarm on In a Place for Lesser Men, however after listening to Non Populus, i popped a musical boner. Wow, amazing stuff. I love the part around 4:00 with the big drums, the piano, Stu going off on the lead guitar, and i especially love the acoustic guitar toward the end. Great stuff Matt, thanks for posting it.

Also, thanks for taking the time to comment on here. I think i speak for most of your more dedicated fans when i say that i'm glad you took the risk of putting out the album that you creatively wanted to do, rather than worrying about the economics and whatnot. Can't wait to hear the entire album.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

I think that's the longest post Matt's ever done on here. It's pretty cool that he (you) take the time to reply and give info to us on a fan site like this.

The new song is amazing. This is the style of MG music I like best. Loving the piano. I think some of the best MG songs from the past are songs with piano. Can't wait for the album.

Guest Bimbly

Matt, if you're referring to me (re: speaking in musical terms- though I definitely didn't say it was like a Sgt. Peppers song) I'd be happy to have you rip apart my songs :angry: I'd never argue I'm somehow more accomplished then you musically- I simply haven't been blessed with a voice like yours. Though I DO know what I like, and in the end, your songs inspiring debate on an internet forum some 16 years into your career is preferable to silence, no? And hey, even Truffaut and Godard started as critics. ;)

I think it's cool you're making an artistic statement and challenging yourself. That said, what comes "easier" to you isn't necessarily intrinsically worse than something you sweat over, and vice versa. Of course, this isn't news to you- nor is my saying that a value judgement on your new work. I like the single and Non Populus enough, but they don't sound THAT different to me. They're still very you.

The Beatles had some ticks that made them sound like The Beatles, but it's pretty easy with time to forget how disparate their work really was.

re: chords. Yes, many amazing songs have been crafted with very few chords- look at Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. Hard to argue against that! I think that's the type of song you're talking about, right? Admittedly, I know very little about classical composers, but I'm not convinced guys like Chopin and Mahler were using simple progressions-- I hear a lot of key changes and movement. Which isn't the sole qualifier for good music, obviously. There's some jazz that is so utterly all over the place that it's incomprehensible to me. I do find it hard to get excited about a song that doesn't feature at least one chord that's not in the home key, though. Or whatever. I don't know theory. I need something slightly quirky to catch my ear, usually. I realize how pretentious that sounds haha

re: Keith Jarrett, I only know one of his songs: Kln Concert - Part 2 c (? copy pasted from Itunes ha) It's great.. I'll snag the album you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, if you swing back around-- what do you think of this song?

It's pretty clear we have a divergence in taste- I like Bob Dylan enough, but I think his place in the songwriter pantheon mostly comes down to his lyrics. I like the album Blood On The Tracks- and the Don't Look Back movie was fantastic!

Edited by Bimbly

I'm loving this discourse, it's always great to get a snapshot of how the thought process and reasoning comes into being behind the music, though I'm no musical genius and don't understand all of it.

I did my best to stay away from the demos as I listened far too much to Vancouver when it was available on the website and I feel I haven't been able to enjoy it as much as all of Matt's other records. Lesson learned, I couldn't help but listen to the first single and I'll admit I wasn't overwhelmed with it but I was still going to pick up the album regardless. But then Non-Populus... woah. Now I can't wait for the record and am infinitely more happy I stayed away from the demos. I'm much more curious as to how the album fits together in one cohesive piece. Thank you very much Matt for sharing with the community, it's always appreciated and best of luck with the new release!

Guest Bimbly
I actually fucked up Bim - there is no key change in We're So Heavy. There's a time signature change. Good examples re Beatles songs.

Re Junos: no, I'm at home. I was out all day with my family and fund out when I got home and checked my messages.

Damn, well congrats!

There is a part that sticks out in that song to me... I don't have a guitar handy, but it's the picking progression-- it's something like E, G#, C#m A... ?? That's probably way off. I don't know the key off hand. I always loved that part.

I actually fucked up Bim - there is no key change in We're So Heavy. There's a time signature change. Good examples re Beatles songs.

Re Junos: no, I'm at home. I was out all day with my family and fund out when I got home and checked my messages.

First, I think you have a decent enough singing voice, I don

Guest Bimbly

OK, I stepped away and did a few fist pumps.

That someone of your stature decided to engage me in a completely equal way, and offer legitimate advice when you could have just outright pwnd me is so cool. I wont forget it.

I'll admit the "truth" of the artist is something that often escapes me- I tend to look at songwriting more as a craftsman, that is, divorced from emotion. Of course, it's often the purely gut level emotional kick that invests me in someones music in the first place- your music being no exception. Great point.

"[your music] should never be compared to anything else" is also good. I suppose my own referencing of another's music is out of adoration as much as it is self-consciousness. I'll take that to heart.

All said, looking forward to hearing the new record, and seeing you pull it off live next time you're in town. ;)