Who

Cold Harbour? (lights Of Endangered Species Megathread!)

Well I don't live in Canada either. I guess I just resigned myself to wait through the shipping process, which already cost $22 (standard shipping cost + album cost). I don't want to have to spend like $30 on 9 to 10 songs :\ Gotta pay the rent and all that jazz.

$9.99 on iTunes.

I'd essentially be paying $9.99 for one song, since I've already purchased the CD. I just can't legitimize that. This is what I'm saying, I'm hoping there will be another way. There probably won't be, but I'll live.

Edited by Gomo

The classic example of how the iTunes bonus track thing sucks is "All Together". It was included as a pre-order bonus on In a Coma, yet the iTunes price was $26.99 for the set. I don't believe it even came with the videos, while you could get the set with the DVD for $20 at a store. But it's the only time that the finished version of that song was ever released anywhere - I don't think any of us have ever heard it, only the rough mix version that's been passed around for years.

I dug that they included the Massey tracks on Vancouver, and, in hindsight, I liked that acoustic version of "99%" enough that it I was definitely was glad to have pre-ordered. But I'm not a fan of basically forcing to buy an entire album for one song. That's what the major labels were doing in 1990s - but at least then, it was for the popular single, not the b-side.

Having said that, I'll probably end up pre-ordering on iTunes. (I bought an iTunes gift card the last time I was in Canada pretty much in anticipation of it.) And I'm actually a bit surprised / impressed by the price difference from the CD.

There's another version of All Together? I wasn't even aware of that.

And I never did get my hands on the acoustic bonus tracks that came with Massey Hall on Itunes. Bah!

Edited by Gomo

There's another version of All Together? I wasn't even aware of that.

And I never did get my hands on the acoustic bonus tracks that came with Massey Hall on Itunes. Bah!

Eh, you can get those tracks from the two bootlegs floating around from that show, which are pretty good quality.

Sounds like you're in for a brooding/depressing summer.

Aren't those the best kind? ;)

I have only heard one song off this album, the single.

Regardless it is new Matt Good and I shall be spinning it often.

HERPA DERP DERP

What do you think of the song?

Good stuff, I thought it should have a vinyl release.

I think In A Place of Lesser Men is cool although it doesn't really work as a single...and as I read Matt say earlier it probably isn't the best representation for the rest of the songs on the album...I'm sure in the context of the flow of the album it works much better. I guess if I had to comment a little more, I'd say it is perhaps a bit too stripped down...I keep thinking there should be a Billy Corgan-esque "wall of sound" somewhere in there, but I still like the song.

As far as the whole brooding thing, well, Matt Good has always been a "dramatic" musician so to speak. I expect nothing less at this point. Hospital Music was fairly depressing, but I played that a lot over the summer a few years ago. I guess I'd be more likely to play happy upbeat stuff in the summer, but new Matt Good stuff will probably get played regardless for me. I mean, ya know, I'm a big fan. S'all good.

Edited by Gomo

Gomo: Listening to it after I had listened to the FF record I was surprised how bare it sounded but I think that's because the new FF is so heavy on guitars and distortion. It's nice not to always hear heavy guitars. I agree it's not the best single material but screw radio anyway. So you haven't heard Non Populus? I think you'll be right at home with that one.

It's unfortunate that some find In a Place of Lesser Men lacking. I actually really like it and think it's a unique song. It stands out to me and it's nice to hear from MG. I especially like the use of cor anglais and piano in it.

I'm sure it'll get better in the context of the album. I don't mind the stripped down-ness so much.

I'm holding out on Non Populus. I've heard people on here talking about it...but I'm resisting the temptation for when the CD lands in my mailbox.

Album is now up for pre-order on Amazon Canada.

Pre-order Lights of Endangered Species with something else and get free shipping! If the price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

Click the link above or in my signature for more info. Vinyl should be coming out soon, click the link above for info on that one.

Do you guys actually have record players? I don't even have a stereo anymore, everything just goes in the car or on the computer or iPod.

very much x2. I have a cd/stereo player but it won't even play some of my newer cds. CD's are a special occasion...