johnerwin

M+ (merged)

I'm actually amazed that people are willing to pay to post comments and be part of a forum. I like MG and the mBlog and all but the only forum I've ever willingly paid to be on is the Something Awful forums. The Cavern of Cobol and the games sections alone were worth the 10bux, and that still was only a one time fee.

On the other hand, I do like his idea of "sound check parties." It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

edit: I think MG should just hold a general sound check party in each province every tour and charge like $25 cover.

I can understand why he's doing this though, running this site alone and for free costs quite a bit of money and time. The only way I cut down on costs on this site is by administering the server myself, writing all the code and articles, and putting up those little ads you see. And some people block those, thanks guys!

Anyway, when it's up and one of you joins, show us some screen shots of it!

People...it's $25...a year... I don't care who you are, a toonie a month is more than affordable. When you think about how accessible and interactive Matt has been in the past - letting everyone in behind the curtain with free demos, videos, etc. - you'd have to think you'd have paid at least $25.00 for it all now. I would anyways.

People...it's $25...a year... I don't care who you are, a toonie a month is more than affordable. When you think about how accessible and interactive Matt has been in the past - letting everyone in behind the curtain with free demos, videos, etc. - you'd have to think you'd have paid at least $25.00 for it all now. I would anyways.

I know it is $25 a year, but see I have other expenses, like paying student loans off which takes about $125 from me each month, plus $160 a month for car insurance, and other various bills and expenses. So if you want to loan me the $25 go right ahead. Right now I am living off $200 for the next week and half.

I'll sign up for it. I really like the video entries, and it would be really cool to get an even more frequent and in depth look at the making of an album. The possibility of something like a soundcheck party or a day at the studio is a nice perk as well. I can't stand not being in the loop haha. Even though I'm sure anything posted on M+ that's worth noting will be available, or at least talked about here. I can count the times I've commented on his blog on one hand, but I may start getting more involved in that way if I'm in a paid membership club.

I know it is $25 a year, but see I have other expenses, like paying student loans off which takes about $125 from me each month, plus $160 a month for car insurance, and other various bills and expenses. So if you want to loan me the $25 go right ahead. Right now I am living off $200 for the next week and half.

Hey - I'm paying off 5 years of student loans too. But you're saying that out of that $200.00, you can't spare 75 cents (1.5 weeks worth of membership). I could find that on the sidewalk on my way to work each day.

I'll pretty much support anything he does that has to do with his music, so I'm going to go for it. Besides, I'm curious to see what exactly M+ will be. And as someone else said a couple of posts ago, I'd hate to be out of the loop ;)

My monthly repayments on student loans is money I never really have anyway :angry:

I'll join it, I don't really care about posting. I'll just come here for that, it's a better environment anyways if you're a more than average fan of the guy.

Also, even if I don't win a soundcheck or whatever, I don't mind paying the 25 bucks for bonus content. I've met the guy countless times and I have all my stuff signed. If I can contribute to the club and ultimately given someone else the chance to do a meet and greet who hasn't yet, I'd be more than happy to help them experience that.

Also, depending on the revenue this generates, it could also mean disposable income that will go towards more recording money, better merchandise, etc etc. Missing the keyboards live? Maybe now it won't be such a setback to pay an extra session player to do it.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself and the likeliness of all that happening through the success of a fanclub is very low, I'm just saying every little bit counts.

Hey - I'm paying off 5 years of student loans too. But you're saying that out of that $200.00, you can't spare 75 cents (1.5 weeks worth of membership). I could find that on the sidewalk on my way to work each day.

That is the one problem.

Here is one you may not have thought of:

There are fans who live in the US, and I believe that the fans in Canada would have much easier access to sound checks, an other events he would do for fans.

Edited by Audio of Being

There are many reason why I'll do it/ I'd also point out that he isn't going to see half of what you spend, probably. Considering that this will cost him money to put together, I think some whom may react that he is just trying to make a quick buck are mistaken. I understand those whom can't afford it but I am sure that he and those helping him out aren't just going to throw something up.

Shit, I pay for web hosting that I don't use that much and that is at least $100 a year. His definitely costs more than that by a landslide. If I had as much money that it probably costs Matt to keep his website up.

I think its a fantastic idea. It would be worth it for anyone outside of the US if nothing but for the interesting content he would put up. I for one am in Toronto but am not really interested in soundchecks. That being said one doesn't even need to be in close proximity to the soundcheck/recording locations to appreciate this kind of members-only portal, that's the beauty of the internet. No doubt audio, video, and photographs will inevitably wind up on the site which is worth the price of admission alone.

I say bring on M+.. I wish he had done this 10 years ago.

For $2 a month i'll give it a shot. I'm mostly interested in getting some of the extra insight into the music side of things, his creatively process, maybe extra videos of him playing new tunes etc.

I think Matt has always wanted to do more with the website, but the money it would take to do it, as he says, would come out of his pocket and be hard to support it himself. I'm sure he'll make a little bit of money out of this venture obviously and it provides another bit of revenue to make a living from, but i think a main goal of it, since seeing the extremely cheap cost to fans for it, is just to be able to give fans a better website experience without it personally killing him financially.

It sucks that he just said in his podcast that video will be hard to do because of the size it takes up so audio podcasting will be the norm. I hope he does video for stuff like music. I mean, it would be really good if he just picks up his guitar once in awhile and performs a song in his house (maybe a new one he's working on, like he did with "Kierra-Anne") and sticks the video on the site. That's the stuff i think is worth paying for.