FantasticDamage

Save The World?

I think the question is even more interesting if no one would KNOW why you died. Like, if a genie appeared and said "I will save the world politically, environmentally, and socially, but for me to do so, you must be teleported onto the street right now and hit by a bus. No one will know you died for this cause: it will simply look like an unfortunate accident."

I'd do it. For realz. What do most people "accomplish" in their lives? They have a job and a spouse and kids. Maybe donate some money to charity. If they're an outlier they may contribute to science or the arts, but even then in most cases that contribution is minor. While I do want to contribute, I feel like it's more likely that I'm the guy who invents Viagara or the Post-It morseo than the guy who invents insulin or the car. And saving the world is a better "use" of my life than giving people boners or affixing sticky notes.

And I don't buy that crap about it being "our journey" to try and reach perfection slowly. Fuck it: I'd fast track society if I could.

I think the question is even more interesting if no one would KNOW why you died. Like, if a genie appeared and said "I will save the world politically, environmentally, and socially, but for me to do so, you must be teleported onto the street right now and hit by a bus. No one will know you died for this cause: it will simply look like an unfortunate accident."

I'd do it. For realz. What do most people "accomplish" in their lives? They have a job and a spouse and kids. Maybe donate some money to charity. If they're an outlier they may contribute to science or the arts, but even then in most cases that contribution is minor. While I do want to contribute, I feel like it's more likely that I'm the guy who invents Viagara or the Post-It morseo than the guy who invents insulin or the car. And saving the world is a better "use" of my life than giving people boners or affixing sticky notes.

And I don't buy that crap about it being "our journey" to try and reach perfection slowly. Fuck it: I'd fast track society if I could.

(i forgot i made this thread) wouldn't you miss having that job, spouse and kids? I agree with you though i would do it. hell i would do it just to end the suffering of a lot fewer then the world (mid-east peace is about the right number of people lol)

But i would want people to know why i died and i would want a small paragraph in every history book ;)

Edited by FantasticDamage

will wars and poverty start up again? because if a person unknown to the world sacrificed themselves to make everything better, than did anyone learn anything? won't people go back and make the exact same mistakes?