Moonlight_Graham

Matt Discontinues His Blog

I haven't read Matt's blog for quite some time and i never bought in to M+ so I can't say I'm terribly upset by this. As long as the dude is happy. At least he said he might update Twitter with music info. I'd be happy with that.

But I agree, it'll be back some day I bet.

And I wonder if the younger Good will take up music someday...

Edited by Gomo

While I respect his decision, something about posting only to those paying money to him rubs me wrong. He is outspoken against politicans and others who only cater to elite groups or provide information only to those who are better off and then proceeds to do something very similar to his own fans. He's made two posts today in his M+ blog which would be equal to what he would do on the free one during the day.

I've been a fan of his for 15 years but I'm almost considering boycotting this next album and tour because I just cannot agree with his reasonings for having M+ and denying fans who cannot or do not pay for these extra's as well as discontinuing his blog but being willing to post stuff to people who pay him. If he speaks against something he should then support it in his own doings.

While I respect his decision, something about posting only to those paying money to him rubs me wrong. He is outspoken against politicans and others who only cater to elite groups or provide information only to those who are better off and then proceeds to do something very similar to his own fans. He's made two posts today in his M+ blog which would be equal to what he would do on the free one during the day.

I've been a fan of his for 15 years but I'm almost considering boycotting this next album and tour because I just cannot agree with his reasonings for having M+ and denying fans who cannot or do not pay for these extra's as well as discontinuing his blog but being willing to post stuff to people who pay him. If he speaks against something he should then support it in his own doings.

You're an idiot. Matt doesn't owe us anything. We buy his music and enjoy it. If he writes a blog for free, that's his choice. If he writes a blog not for free, that's also his choice, and we can each choose to participate. If he wrote a book, you'd expect him to give it away for free?

M+ costs the equivalent of TWO CDS FOR A YEAR. One MG show costs more than a year of M+. That makes M+ers "elitists"?

The M+ content is nothing like the Blog content. The Blog content is almost entirely political, the M+ content almost never is. The M+ content, by and large, consists of shorter observations, save for the longer posts about the songwriting process and the development of the new album. Those are the subjects he was offering as part of the package from the very beginning, and he's planning on continuing them as promised.

Of the two posts today, the first contained four totally random observations (unrelated to politics). The other ("Democra+") was about whether or not to change the M+ social functions, which would obviously be irrelevant to non-M+ers. Those posts combined didn't take NEARLY the amount of time to write as it would for the typical regular Blog post, given how long he (obviously) spends researching and writing that stuff.

If this is the thing that makes you decide to no longer be a fan, then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

No sir, you are blind to what is obvious.

Matt owes us nothing but when you publically speak on freedom of information and equality that people should get the same information and then run a website where those who pay you get "better" information, you don't find that incredibly hipocritical? Can you not see where that seems to be a little off based on what his very public and open beliefs are? I don't care if he wrote a blog saying he had eggs for breakfast, the fact that he will happily segregate posts and information between those who pay him and those who don't DOES NOT align with many of his posts where he critizes other groups to keeping information to people or providing it only to the elite. And the cost is also irrelevant. Most of his posts regarding the Bush Administration outlined actions much like this, but then he does it to his own fan base.

M+ costs the equivalent of TWO CDS FOR A YEAR. One MG show costs more than a year of M+. That makes M+ers "elitists"?

Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who supposedly form an elite

Your post shows you have no clue what goes on in the M+ blog.

First off, the main blog isn't "information" but opinions. As far as I know, Matthew Robert Frederick Good's observations on current event are not considered as "information".

Second, the M+ blog does not give "better" information but rather DIFFERENT information. Now information on the recording process of an album not only doesn't count as "information" because it is in no way "owed" to anyone who is not directly involved, but also because go back fucking 12 years ago and no one had even a clue what the artist was doing in the studio. The record came out and you had to BUY it (oh the dirty word!) to listen to it. 12 years ago.

Okay, I am going to start a club where I post all the information about the club on the internet. But if you want to win something or find out what's coming up you are going to have to pay $10. If you don't pay, you miss the fun. Oh and you can't comment on anything either until you've been personally approved by me as saying things I want to hear. Is that not elitist behaviour? I don't care what the cost of M+ is. The principal of it is what I have a huge issue with.

Nope! There was such a thing before the interwebs called "Fan clubs". You had to PAY (woops there goes that word again) to get exclusive information and gifts from the artists. No one bitched about it back then. But in this day and age of "click and get" every one expects to get the candy without spending a fucking dime!

Freedom of information? Go on bbc.co.uk, theguardian.co.uk and others YOURSELF and make YOURSELF an opinion. I know, I know it's a lot more time but, that's what Matt used to do. But reading what Matthew Good thinks of the information on these website in no way counts as information.

So basically, the old blog was consisted of DISSERTATIONS about current events. These texts took a lot of time to research, think about and write.

The M+ is information on music including free downloads of demos. It's a fan club in a way. You pay for exclusive stuff.

I commend anyone who is willing to get rid of disposable activities to take car of their kids.

Edited by Who

Okay, I am going to start a club where I post all the information about the club on the internet. But if you want to win something or find out what's coming up you are going to have to pay $10. If you don't pay, you miss the fun. Oh and you can't comment on anything either until you've been personally approved by me as saying things I want to hear. Is that not elitist behaviour? I don't care what the cost of M+ is. The principal of it is what I have a huge issue with.

You're projecting. None of that is actually happening on M+, you just think it is.

You've twisted the definition of elitism, too - essentially, you're claiming that M+ers think they're better than everyone else because they paid $25 to join. That's retarded.

Matt is selling a product, called M+. That product includes:

1) Regularly updated content about songwriting and recording.

2) The ability to comment on posts. (Which is diminished now that there aren't any regular blog posts.)

3) Occasional M+ meet and greets at shows. (This probably happened five times during the touring this year.)

You can choose to buy that product or not.

Elitism would be if Matt selected who got to join and denied participation to certain folks, using qualifications such as those in your definition of elitism. But that's not happening. He's selling a product, and you can choose to purchase it or not.

Elitism would also mean that M+ers think they're better than everyone else, and if you spent five minutes on the M+ forums, you would see that it absolutely isn't the case.

By your definition of "elitism":

1) Matt is being elitist because he only plays concerts for people who pay for a ticket. He should be opening the doors and playing so that the people outside that can't afford a ticket can enjoy the show.

2) Matt is being elitist because he's only making his music available to people who buy it on CD or via download. He should be posting it for free on the Internet so that the people who can't afford to buy it can hear it.

If you can't tell the difference between the political elitism that Matt was criticizing and a $25 fan club, you're an absolute moron. Here's a hint to the difference: politicians are elected to represent the people who elect them.

And if it's this important to you, then explain it - why didn't you buy M+? And I don't mean your current "it's fucking elitist" excuse - I mean what stopped you from buying it six months ago?

Edited by uglyredhonda

None of that is happening? Really? So the contest with the setlist I just imagined. As I did with this?

Matt is selling a product, called M+. That product includes:

1) Regularly updated content about songwriting and recording.

2) The ability to comment on posts. (Which is diminished now that there aren't any regular blog posts.)

3) Occasional M+ meet and greets at shows. (This probably happened five times during the touring this year.)

So I'm just imagining that this is an exclusive club where people that don't pay for content get the same extras? Okay, where should I have entered for the setlist without being a member? And where can I find the info for the meet and greets then? I mean if you don't have to be a member to get the benefits, where is the info for the rest of us posted? If what I just said about the club scenerio is wrong, please feel free to point me to where this information is posted for EVERYONE.

You both seem to be missing the point. I don't give a flying eff what the content is. I have an issue with the fact that a guy who time and time again critizes others for having specific groups that get information and those who don't posts in a public forum stating "Here is info for one group and here is info for another".

No no you're confusing everything! Content IS the main point of this all!

Matt's not the governement. He's not a newspaper. He's an artist. The government or a newspaper keeping info for a limited group of people, that's just plain bad. If he's doing it, it's fine. Why the difference? Because of the content!

The three points you've mentionned are all in all trivial. There's pieces of candy he sells. Period.

Freedom of information doesn't apply. Seriously man you're seeing way too much into this and you're looking at the picture all wrong (and I frankly don't understand how your head works to say these things...unless you're really young I don't know).

You both seem to be missing the point. I don't give a flying eff what the content is. I have an issue with the fact that a guy who time and time again critizes others for having specific groups that get information and those who don't posts in a public forum stating "Here is info for one group and here is info for another".

You keep skipping the really important parts of this, so let's keep it to one question at a time:

1) Say Matt decides he wants to give away a setlist book, but only as a tie-in with the new release. He has Universal include an entry with every copy of his latest CD. Is that elitist, and would you have a problem with it?

and you guys wonder why mr. moody keeps taking your privileges away. you're all a bunch of fucking children. you know how the internets work - content for some; content for all; content for none. this shit is like a light switch and you plebs keep trying to sit in the fucking dark. every time you start to infight, senor good takes his ball and goes home and then you all bitch about your rights to play the next inning.

oh, and matt good doesn't care about black people.

You know there are plenty of clubs I paid to be a member of. They too share information only with me (and other paying members). They are, in no important order (and not a complete list): AMA, AAA, IEEE. And though you can join the first two by simply paying a fee, the later one you actually have to have graduated with a degree in engineering... so I guess it is an elite club.

I tried to write a sensical reply to your point. Unfortunately I just can't seem to understand what you are getting at. I guess you are frustrated... but I can only understand that if you believe that posts which would normally be in the main blog are now only in the M+ blog. As others have said, this is not the case. And given that the nature of the content hasn't changed, it seems that it's not the closure of the free blog that upsets you, but rather the existence of M+ at all.

I just realized though, that we're an elite club too http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/index....showtopic=13706

Man oh man I haven't posted in a while. Hello all y'all!

This is all pretty hilarious, people getting in an uproar over this. I was passing time at work and figured it was too tempting to resist throwing in a few cents worth of opinion.

I guess people are pissed off because they now have to pay money to read someones opinion. Ah well! I know I sure enjoyed the blog while it was around. It was informative and well written. As much as Matt is a great musician, he's also a great observer of today's political and world climate. It's always nice waking up in the morning with some tea and reading some stuff (Matt's blog was essentially my main news source. More trustworthy than CNN if you ask me). Just because the man doesn't write a few paragraphs every other day explaining his opinion on this stuff doesn't mean it's not there. Just hit up his delicious page and assume he's not a fan of most of what's going on. Simple.

As far as secret access to behind the scenes info, etc. There's a reason all of you are signed up to a fan run message board! If you're a hardcore fan (such as myself) you'll find out the juicy info soon enough anyway so don't sweat it. So what you won't have a chance to win a setlist book. Look that shit up on the net if you really want to know.

Matt COULD only allow black european zionists to view his blog for the price of your vital organs if he felt like it. Instead he charges a few bucks. Whatevs!

And most importantly, he might just be BUSY right now, eh? Give him a few months maybe he'll have some more time and resurect the blog. It's not the first time it's gone away. There was a solid stretch of a few months in 2004 where there wasn't even a legit site. Just a picture and a "we'll be back" message. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

Let's all just be honest. If you're complaining, you just want to hear the demos. Face it! They will ruin the next record for you anyway.

I'm not M+ but I know enough "inside info" to not break the guy's balls over a user fee. Anyone who plays WoW should be exempt from complaining hahaha.

I'm being sued over blog content and I haven't asked anyone for a dime. Truth is, were it not me, but someone else, I wouldn't be getting sued. But the truth is, just because of the way our system works, I'll end up paying thousands in legal bills because I refuse to do what the person who's suing me wants - which is for me to settle - which would cost more probably. So the month after my kid's born I'll probably be in court, as will my wife who will have to testify. Nice way to remember the first month of your son's life.

What the heck?! It's your blog, how can anyone sue you over its content? I'm not sure how much you are willing to discuss, but I'm racking my brains trying to think of something you wrote that would warrant legal action. Instead of a blog post, could you have theoretically put your subject matter into song lyrics on your next record? Would that have been okay? You're speaking your mind; it's just words on a screen. Despite how much crap people can get away with, it's amazing how easy it is to get screwed...

if you publicly state something about someone that may or may not be true, and/OR it somehow negatively affects their ability to secure financial growth presently or in the future, you are liable for a lawsuit.

not saying thats what happened, but thats how easy it is.

Actually, I was going to say the exact thing.

Anyway, am I upset that Matt stopped posting a blog? No, I"m not. Am I upset that you have to pay to get into M+, no. I'm a big enough fan to pay for that service. Am I upset that I can't access the content? No. He doesn't have to give everything for free. Most artists have these pay services. It's away to make money and most people in the music industry, let alone the Canadian music industry, actually don't make that much money. It's not elitist, it's business.

I am a member of the M+ and I have no issues paying for it to gain access on his site. Like the post above I consider my self a big fan, and was willing to pay the $25 (though I did fight the idea when it 1st came out).

Like it has been said here a lot of bands have pay per access sites because they know the loyal fans will pay. I am a member of the Ten Club by Pearl Jam, and I really enjoy it. We can post and do whatever as paying members with out the hassle of assholes who otherwise would whine and complain on the forum if it was free.

I stopped reading Matt's blog a long time ago so I have to be honest, I don't really care.

I'm glad he's happy and still makes music. As for people thinking he owes them anything, I honestly don't get it.

I have no idea how much M+ costs or what kinds of content it gives you access to but there are plenty of paid fan clubs around and I think that's a good way to afford hosting and etc. I don't see anything wrong with it since it is YOUR choice to join or not.

There's lots of people who write. Whether it be on the internet or in a book, most of this is sold (for money) to those who want to read it and have it's content.

We who are writing on here are all fans of Matt. Most of us have all or most of his albums, have been to his concerts repeatedly, and have invested a ton of our free time listening to him, watching him, reading about him, and here talking about him. We obviously all like him and what he does. We who go to and read his blog obviously value his opinions and enjoy hearing what he has to say.

I agree with what "THE MAN" said - that he is a more trustworthy news source than CNN (or any other news source). He is well educated on what is actually going on in the world, and cuts through the crap and gets to the heart of what is really going on.

If you wanted to get this info on your own, you could educate yourself on history as he has done, then do as much daily reading and research as he does, then take hours of almost every day to write it down in an intelligent and explanatory.....and entertaining way. But I'm sure if you actually did all that you'd expect to be paid for such efforts and content. It's just the way the world works. We all have jobs, and writing is a job for many people in this world.

What Matt has done for free for years is not normal. He's given of his free time to share information and opinions and to give his fans (who often want to hear anything he has to say) extremely educated and right to the bone type news. Not to mention the discussing of personal matters for his fans. Why anyone on here would bitch about spending $25 for it doesn't make any sence at all. How much do you think you've spent over his career on his material or performances? I know I've spent quite a bit. I wouldn't think for a second that he owes me a free piece of his perspective on a daily basis.

Congrats on the pregnancy and wedding Matt. You're not going to have time for much of anything soon.

PS "posting fantastic short films made for me by world renowned animators and have a permanent facility at which I write and record where I could also tape live sessions and broadcast them" This would be amazing.

Edited by Vance