borntohula

The White Stripes Break Up!

I had no clue that they were still together - although I wasn't interested I heard Jack White was in a new project, but I don't really care enough about the guy to take a look into it, I could've swore the White Stripes were done already. Can't really say I'm all that bothered to be honest.

Jack has been doing a lot of other stuff. Meg was pretty much all around useless (and suffered from stage fright) so I'm not surprised.

I'd suffer from stage fright if I had the skills of an 8 year old boy on drums as well.

what's with all the meg hate? if she were a dude i highly doubt she'd get as hard of a time from listeners as she does. i don't think she was amazing, but the whole point of the band was to be simple and reductive, and she served that purpose just fine.

a shitty drummer is a shitty drummer. their goal was simplicity and simplicity sounds like shit. if a buddy and i were to make a white stripes song, we'd get absolutely shit on critically, but if we dressed in red and white only and one was a female, fucking gold. you know what makes songs awesome? bass guitar. and a 6+piece drumkit. oh, well, at least they weren't the saviours of rock like the strokes.

Meg was a pretty basic drummer...no real flair, but she could totally handle holding down a beat. I like the sound, and I think Jack White does some amazing things with music in all the things he touches. That album he did with Loretta Lynn, was amazing. He has a knack for figuring out what works, and how to get the most of it.

On February 2, 2011, the duo announced that they would officially cease recording and performing music as The White Stripes. The announcement specifically denied any artistic differences or health issues, but cited "a myriad of reasons ... mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band".

I think one day, they're new music won't be accepted as widely as the White Stripes stuff was. They'll get bored not being as praised. Then they'll either go on a tour or put out a new album.

I actually didn't mind the music though.

what's with all the meg hate? if she were a dude i highly doubt she'd get as hard of a time from listeners as she does. i don't think she was amazing, but the whole point of the band was to be simple and reductive, and she served that purpose just fine.

Ringo Starr was a man. He was also a shitty drummer. But not as shitty as Meg.

Now she has to go get a real job for which she actually has skills.

Maybe the "whole point of the band" being simple was partly based on the fact that she was shit and couldn't keep up with anything Jack did that wasn't simple.

I think Meg would be a decent drummer in a more basic band. She would thrive and probably grow, with musicians closer to her level. As for Ringo, he was good enough for what he was doing. He grew as a musician over time. He was very aware of his skills though. He sent his son Zak to Keith Moon for lessons.