I agree with Manch.

I am reviewing this album for our magazine, and I was looking so forward to this album. I avoided reading any reviews prior, just read the wiki on it. I was excited by the idea that it was recorded in Grohl's garage using analog equipment.

I agree that it's "back to basics", but at the same time, I feel like it's really bland, and boring (as boring as Foos high energy can be, anyway). After I wrote my own review, I was surprised to see how much praise it received. It felt very much like the Foos were playing it safe. There was only one song, to me, that stood out ("These Days").

Sweet. It's nice to see someone else who isn't understanding all the hype for this album. You said what I think the problem is exactly: it's bland. At least compared to an album like TCATS, which to me is a special rock album that just stands out in nearly every way. It's far more memorable and the balance of music and arrangement of songs on it is almost perfect. The production on that also beats this album's in my opinion.

It's cool that they recorded this in a more basic way but from the reception it has gotten I expected a more memorable album. It's not bad by any means, I just don't find it anything special like they're capable of. And to me it sounds like they're going a more radio friendly, big radio chorus direction which I'm not a fan of. They were always a mainstream band but their old records have a more distinct sound to me.

From what I've heard, (not the whole thing yet mind you) I really like the album. It does sound very much like it is returning to a sound closer to their old stuff. With that though, I have to point out that their appearance on SNL last weekend seemed very lackluster, almost as if they weren't really into what they were playing.

From what I've heard, (not the whole thing yet mind you) I really like the album. It does sound very much like it is returning to a sound closer to their old stuff. With that though, I have to point out that their appearance on SNL last weekend seemed very lackluster, almost as if they weren't really into what they were playing.

i can't think of an SNL performance from the past 10 years that has been flattering for a band.

as for the record, i didn't know there was much hype for it. yes, it's a return to form, but the only reason you can call it that is because they're coming to terms with their strengths. an example of a bland foo fighters record is echoes silence patience and grace. it was them trying to be tom petty or bruce springsteen and their songwriting failed miserably because they sounded so forced. adult contemporary doesn't look good on any band, but it especially never fit the foos.

this record plays to the band's abilities, and although it can be seen as a throwback to their 90s sound, it's hardly a backward-looking record. they sound like the foo fighters again, and stylistically, they're drawing from a lot of different periods, not just the 90s. that's what TC&TS was all about. i can't think of a better example of a band that melded the california power-pop sound with the D.C. hardcore punk aesthetic. i happen to like them a lot better when husker du are an influence as opposed to bruce springsteen. i'm also not really sure how anyone can think the first half of the record is bland, it's just one colossal rocker after another. sure, you can fault them for not bringing anything new to the table, but i think they need to take things one step at a time.

dave grohl's talents lie in his ability to write songs with amazing wallop, so i'm not sure why he tries to hide from that. perhaps it's hard to scream at the top of your lungs night after night, but damn is he ever good at it.

I've started to enjoy and appreciate Echoes more and more over the years. Long Road doesn't sit quite right with me but it's still a decent song. Echoes is easily better than Wasting Light. WL doesn't sound like a return to their old sound, apart from White Limo of course. It sounds like they're trying to sound more old rock like 70's and 80's, an era of rock I never got the fuss about and hated for the shrill/shrieky vocals. They are sounding more generic/more mainstream rock radio and bland now. I also don't like the increasing screaming or shouting almost every note. In moderation Dave, in moderation.

Wow, people like Echoes? I thought it was a completely lackluster condensation of In Your Honour. Although I really liked The Pretended and Cheer Up. Wasting Light is damn good if you ask me, beats the last 2 records.

I will always have a deep fondness of There Is Nothing Left To Lose. The album covers every single sound of Foo without ever seeming disjointed. The fact that you can put songs like Stacked Actors and Ain't It The Life together shows how well the album fits. Oh, and Self-titled is purely badass.

Anyone else hear the Pocketwatch EP? It's not bad!

The live album, Skin and Bones is pretty awesome too. It's a great compilation that sounds different from the album versions of the songs because I think there's some live strings and more acoustic going on, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=40&v=j2JoWP7S5ZM

One of the many reasons I love Dave Grohl:

(1.) He invites a crying male fan on stage to sing with him (see above video)

(2.) The Foo Fighters refused to allow the show Glee to use any of their songs.

(3.) Matt told us a story that happened several years ago at the Bayfest music festival. Cheap Trick refused to get off stage, so they could get a prolonged sound check. People were waiting to get in gates and were complaining loudly. As a result, Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters chose to forgo their soundcheck completely.

(4.) He always looks he's in a good mood and is happy.

(5.) He goes on tour with a broken leg and crutches.

Edited by girl

On first listen it's nowhere near TCATS in my opinion and I'm surprised the praise has been seemingly unanimous. It has potential, I just need to give it more listens.

I agree, though I love Something from Nothing.

The first 2 albums are the best. Plus, Dave plays all the drums on both.

I was talking about the Wasting Light album there, SFN is from Sonic Highways which I like much more.  Yeah, the first 2 albums are probably the best and Dave's drumming is the icing on the cake.  I think There Is Nothing Left to Lose is a really good album too and quite enjoy Echoes and Sonic Highways.

Guest Idioteque

I've put off Sonic Highways for awhile, I guess I should finally get around to watching it since all I ever see is people praising the series.