Guest Bimbly

Vinyl Of Lights Doesn't Come With An Mp3 Download.

Guest Bimbly

I maintain it's cheap of Universal. All the same, good discussion. Now that it's available in FLAC I suppose it really doesn't matter (at the time, there was no high quality d/l). I bought the mafuckin' album so hopefully it contributes to MG's sales numbers. I'll support the man himself if he swings round my way during a live tour.

I can see you hoping it would come with mp3 since other vinyls have, but I don't think they should feel obligated to include it or anything.

MG said this about it on FB though. Here's the discussion:

Nicholaus Biela

I'm curious as to why the vinyl copy of the album didn't include an mp3 download of the album. Are us vinyl lovers just a niche market? Loving the album, just unfortunately not on the go!

Matthew Good

Why would it include two versions of the album for one price?

Nicholaus Biela

I believe the thinking by the record companies who include the code is that for those who purchase the cd version of it (also physical media), they can simply upload it (thus creating a "second version" of the album for the same price) while, vinyl lovers are unable to do that.

Matthew Good

Oh, I see what you mean. Ya, that is sort of lame. We just do really limited production runs is all, it's not like we do big runs, so it's more of a collector's item than anything.

Literally every record I've purchased from an independent label has included, as courtesy, a digital download link. It makes sense because few have a record player that rips (ha indeed few even have a record player) to digital. Also it's good marketing - what label wouldn't want you to listen the artists they're representing as much and as easily as possible? Major labels I guess, buh.

Granted, the download links rarely (but have on occasion) provide a FLAC option, but 320kbps mp3 is just fine with me.