do any of you follow this at all? they announced the long list on june 16th, and the short list will be out july 6th. i've bolded the pics i'd like to see make it.

Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

Austra, Feel it Break

Black Mountain, Wilderness Heart

Braids, Native Speaker

Buck 65, 20 Odd Years

Louise Burns, Mellow Drama

D-Sisive, Jonestown 2: Jimmy Go Bye Bye

The Dears, Degeneration Street

Destroyer, Kaputt

Diamond Rings, Special Affections

Dirty Beaches, Badlands

Luke Doucet and the White Falcon, Steel City Trawler

Eternia & MoSS, At Last

Galaxie, Tigre et di

In terms of popularity, I'd put Neil Young, Stars, and maybe the Dears on the short list, along with the too-obvious Arcade Fire. Of those bands, I like Stars and although I haven't heard The Dears` new record, I really enjoyed No Cities Left.

That said, I honestly haven't heard of most of these other bands, and from checking a few out I'm not incredibly thrilled. Land of Talk is amazing, but Cloak and Cipher (what they're nominated for) isn't a very strong record. They're still who I hope wins. I'd also be thrilled if The Weeknd or Austra took it.

Edit: The real question I have is where the hell is Chromeo!? Seriously, these guys are fucking single-handedly popularizing electrofunk and they've been doing very well for themselves this past year.

Edited by Prometheon

not quite single-handedly, but i know what you mean. not sure why they were left out, but i also haven't heard their album. i just know the singles. perhaps chromeo come off as being too jokey for the panellists' own comfort? it's hard to say. i don't think matt's records have ever made the cut either.

Arcade Fire made a brilliant record, but they don't need a hand after winning the Grammy. I'd love to see Braids get the prize. I've been following their development for the past 2 years, and they absolutely deserve it for the work and dedication they've shown not only to their work and performances, put through touring practically non-stop since I saw their first gig in TO back in Sept '09. If you haven't given 'Native Speaker' a listen yet...!!

I'll have to finally check out Destroyer ;)

Arcade Fire made a brilliant record, but they don't need a hand after winning the Grammy. I'd love to see Braids get the prize. I've been following their development for the past 2 years, and they absolutely deserve it for the work and dedication they've shown not only to their work and performances, put through touring practically non-stop since I saw their first gig in TO back in Sept '09. If you haven't given 'Native Speaker' a listen yet...!!

I'll have to finally check out Destroyer ;)

yep, braids work hard. i've seen them twice now, but with a difference of about 3 years. it's cool to see how they've grown as a band. i hope they stick it out.

i'm currently listening to the colin stetson record and it's phenominal. won't change my love for austra one bit, but i'm really pulling for this record now as well. it's pretty "avant" territory, so i'd be VERY surprised if he took the award home, but he's definitely deserving. check out this moody piece (with vocals done by shara worden):

Colin Stetson's album is great, thanks for the sampling. I agree it's too left-field to win, Destroyer are great. Hey Rosetta are great. I like Timbre Timber's album a lot more than their previous. Just getting into The Weeknd, which is very welcomed as I've been really feeling the down-tempo new Drake track 'Marvin's Room'

It seems like anyone's game, enjoying most of these records a lot. I will say that I think Austra has a fat slice of hype on the side of their offering... I like it but it's not got ahold of me yet.

Haven't been a Ron Sexmith fan to this point at all, but the track they've got streaming on the Polaris website is great.