Crusader

Matthew Good 2011 Tour Dates!

Is it just me or does the opening band totally not mesh well with Matthew Good's style and persona?

It's funny that some of their songs reference weed, and during the London show, Matt was calling out someone in the audience for smoking it during his set.

They're a really tight band, but they are a little out of place at a Matt Good show. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to play in front of his audience though. I talked to him at the merch booth after his set, he's a really nice guy.

Also, Mother Mother is so fucking awesome. There's a lot of their material that I actually don't care for, but they can right some catchy tunes, and holy crap are they talented musicians. Every last one of them. Seeing that opening act in 2009 really helped me appreciate them.

I really like Daniel Wesley's acoustic version of the songs Vagrant's Life and Time For Leaving. Too bad I can't find these acoustic versions anywhere. Oh well. The regular version of Time For Leaving sounds pretty good too. I loaded it on my iPod.

It's funny that some of their songs reference weed, and during the London show, Matt was calling out someone in the audience for smoking it during his set.

Pretty sure Matt, who smokes cigarettes, would have had the same reaction to somebody lighting up a Player's during his set - equally rude to do in a small theatre. Had these people been courteous enough to smoke whatever they wanted prior to the show, a reasonable person would be indifferent, so long as they dont act like idiots in the venue - its not the substance, its the rude act of doing it in a highly occupied space.

What do you guys think Matt meant by "cause I was dimed"... Not sure how uglyredhonda can fault the opener, or go so far as to say "unless you're jamaican," when the headliner has referenced drugs in many of his past songs. The audience at my show loved that tune.

Pretty sure Matt, who smokes cigarettes, would have had the same reaction to somebody lighting up a Player's during his set - equally rude to do in a small theatre. Had these people been courteous enough to smoke whatever they wanted prior to the show, a reasonable person would be indifferent, so long as they dont act like idiots in the venue - its not the substance, its the rude act of doing it in a highly occupied space.

What do you guys think Matt meant by "cause I was dimed"... Not sure how uglyredhonda can fault the opener, or go so far as to say "unless you're jamaican," when the headliner has referenced drugs in many of his past songs. The audience at my show loved that tune.

Matt has never glorified or celebrated drug use. Big difference. When the guy in SoaPS was "dimed", he's lamenting that fact - it's why he can't remember 1989 or what she looked like.

My comment about "being Jamaican" was more about the use of terms like "ganja". It felt like he listened to Bob Marley and wrote a pop-reggae song using the words he heard. Some dude from BC isn't using "ganja" in his day-to-day life. To me (with emphasis, to me), it's cheap, generic, and derivative. Honestly, I really wanted to like his stuff, but I kept getting thrown by the fact that it felt like he was just borrowing from the Sublime catalog and adding a dash of Dave Matthews.

That doesn't mean people can't like his music. It just didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel like it was anything new or interesting. (For the record, I thought Mother Mother was amazing as an opener.)

But, yeah, I thought Daniel really was a bad fit for Matt. And I still suspect that Universal put that pairing together.

Btw - I think Matt was specifically talking about pot, not about smoking in general. (I don't think he'd have said anything if someone had lit up a regular cigarette up close.) And, honestly, I come down on Matt's side of the pot equation. I don't care if people want to smoke pot, and I have quite a lot of friends who do. But I can't stand it when people toke up at a concert, for all of the reasons that Matt gave in London. It smells awful, and you're not going to feel anything right away, anyway. If you really want to be high at a show, do it beforehand and you'll be good-to-go during the show. Doing it during a show means infringing on the people around you and their enjoyment of the show. (I actually consider it disrespectful and callous to smoke up during a show, unless it's a band that's known for being a pot-smoking-friendly band.)

Edited by uglyredhonda

I think we all know Matt isn't exactly an outspoken advocate for drugs, but c'mon, one of his biggest hits, LMU... lyrics are open to interpretation but to me, and likely most casual listeners, that's a clear drug reference, and an important song career wise for Matt, like Daniel's song. And then there's the songs about the pills, maybe not glorification so much, but I think both Matt and Daniel are just speaking honestly about drugs, good or bad... All the great bands have touched on drugs at some point in time - and when you get right down to it "ganja" is pretty close to the lesser of all evils to sing about.

Just because people you associate with maybe don't use the term ganja doesn't make it cheap or generic in reality, just to you. The term is used all over the world, and its not owned by Jamaicans, its an Indian term. I can understand the association that Jamaicans use it often, and I'm sure they do, but that doesn't mean Daniel shouldn't. Giving it another name, say Odette, wouldn't truly make his song any more "artistic," in my eyes either - just a "cheap" personification of a drug to sing about.

I guess neither of us should speculate on what Matt would or wouldn't have done, but the facts are that second hand cigarette smoke is just as harmful, if not more, than second hand "ganja" smoke. If he has a problem with people smoking up at his shows, then logically/rationally he should be concerned with people unwillingly inhaling second hand cigarette smoke, and given that Matt seems to be a reasonable dude, I'd like to think he'd speak up for the non-smokers in that case too.

Setlist from the Nanaimo show on Monday night (in order, I have one of the lists from the stage):

Lights of Endangered Species

The Boy Who Could Explode

What If I Can't See the Stars Mildred?

Zero Orchestra

Shallow's Low

Born Losers

Load Me Up

The Future is X-Rated

Non Populus

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Hornets

Set Me On Fire

Pretty standard setlist for this tour from what I've seen. The show was excellent, I had front row seats, probably enjoyed it most of the 3 MG shows I've been to. Highlights for me were Lights, Mildred, Zero Orchestra and LMU into X-Rated. Zero Orchestra would be my favourite of the show if I had to pick one. I thought the band was excellent, Jimmy is definitely a bit sloppy compared to Stu but he more than makes up for it in enthusiasm and stage presence, he really looks like he loves being up there. I thought Ian was great too, this band does the rockers in the set better than the previous lineup in my opinion.

Matt was the least chatty at this show of the 3 I've seen, he only stopped near the beginning very briefly to say hi (said he really liked the venue) and then just said a few words very briefly again prior to LMU. I thought the crowd was actually pretty enthusiastic in terms of how MG theatre crowds go, got most into it for LMU of course, although they were completely unable to keep their clapping in time during the bridge causing Matt to say "just sing it" haha.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed about was that I missed out on Rabbits, when Lights started up at the beginning I thought it was Rabbits for a moment though haha. Oh well, you can't have everything. I would have rather heard another song other than Hornets I guess as well, I think it was left off the album for a good reason in the end, it's not that interesting. If he's going to go off the board for a song, I would rather hear a back catalog non-single rather than something unreleased, but that's just my personal opinion.

Overall I thought the show was top notch, Matt's performance was excellent, it was amazing seeing him perform so close up. I got a real sense of just how powerful his voice is, I love how he's able to put real emotion into vocals. I was blown away at several parts of the show. The crew was really nice after the show, I got a setlist and one of Ian's drumsticks.

• Upvote 1

Any word on the Duncan set yet? I echo the calls for a recording of Running For Home; it's in my top five and I've never heard it live. I am dying of jealousy at even the possibility of it happening.... If I had the money, I would actually have dropped everything and flown out for all the last shows on that possibility. Of course, I'm a music addict, and a concert's a good fix ;)

I just finished uploading the setlists from the shows from port Alberni - Duncan on setlist.fm

The Duncan show was really cool, quite a few rarely played songs for this tour and of course Running for Home which absolutely made my night!