the cure. wobert smeef's voice is like a caricature of a regular voice.

Serious? I think this thread should be renamed 'singers I don't like'. Let's call Mick Jagger crap while we're at it! If we're talking shitty singers, the obvious that comes to mind are the likes of Chad Kroeger and everyone on his 604 label... aside from Ian Thornley.

There are so, so many.

Billy Talent

Coheed and Cambria

Megadeth (ok, 90% of all heavy metal bands have shitty singers)

The Cranberries

Alexisonfire (the screamo idiot, not Dallas Green)

Dallas Green is a decent technical singer, but damn if every note he sings doesn't annoy the hell out of me. And his lyrics aren't at all inspired. Boring.

Also, what's shitty about Dolores O'Riordan of Cranberries? Haven't heard her sing since the band reformed, but...? Unique voice, pretty much defines the band.

i could say the butthole surfers, but that's kindof their point.

i agree with what was said up thread about this being more about singers people don't like, as opposed to singers who lack technical proficiency, or whose voice is an awful match for the music. especially after that comment about all metal singers being shitty. if you don't like them, that's fine, but don't knock them. my vote goes to cedric from the mars volta. pretty shite singer if you've ever seen him live. has no projection, whatsoever, and struggles to compete with the rest of the volta's busy instrumentation. paul whoever from interpol is kinda the same. has very little range, low register, little-to-no projection, but i've heard he's improved in recent years.

people without projection always make me think of deryk whibley from sum 41, when i saw them once on SNL. he was practically whispering into the mic, and that was the only way he could hold a note. kind of embarrassing. i'm not going to include them here though because that would require the rest of the band to be good.

Serious? I think this thread should be renamed 'singers I don't like'. Let's call Mick Jagger crap while we're at it! If we're talking shitty singers, the obvious that comes to mind are the likes of Chad Kroeger and everyone on his 604 label... aside from Ian Thornley.

i didn't see any further elaboration as to what constitutes a shitty singer. 'shitty' in one's non-technical opinion, or technically 'shitty'. do i think marilyn manson can sing? no. do i think it works perfectly with his music? yes. sometimes a voice can be used as an instrument. george petit from alexisonfire, for example, isn't singing, but the screaming works as a complement to the lead vocals and instrumentation. but that's just my opinion and everyone else can go on the same tangent with singer x or y and be just as relevant. i always thought that coheed and cambria would have a much larger audience were it not for claudio's unusual vocals. that doesn't mean he can't sing, though. i can look past certain vocals if i like the music but sometimes it totally ruins it.

as for robert smith, my assumption would be that you are a cure fan. my interpretation of this thread was bands that you might be into if not for vocals. c'est la vie.

and the mars volta as a collective unit are shite live. every. single. time.

Edited by saturnine

hahaha the point of punk was to not be 'good', can we really consider them?

i agree with the deryck sum41 comment hahaha. that's probably a factor contributing to their being wherever they are now. it's too bad they made the name as much as it is... it's unfair haha

something i've come to find, as i've grown to be a better singer, and also hear more live recordings/attend more shows, is that, singing is far-more a like, (something like an exorcism), and it can't be expected to pull off the same notes every day

i still don't understand why i can hit some pitches some days(on "good days") or fucken own some screaming part 30% of the time, but attending the performance as though it were a service being performed for you...... it alienates sheep when the don't get the cd recited for them. i think studio trickery is simply what gives a lot of competent vocalists the designation "singer" to begin with