sodamntired

What Are You Reading?

went to chapters

thought, "i'm not going to buy a book based on it's cover or get a book titled "how to find the perfect babe." or "how to get happy 365 days a year." but i also thought to heck with that, as soon as I saw Punk: The Brutal Years.

bought it. it's the history of early punk rock.

Edited by sodamntired

I recently finished Emily St. John-Mandel's 'The Glass Hotel' and it blew me away. 

The post-apocalytpic 'Station Eleven' is her 'claim to fame', and it is indeed an excellent read, but I give her so much credit for diving into a completely different direction with 'The Glass Hotel.' The story essentially follows a Bernie-Madoff-esque ponzi scheme from beginning to end, highlighting the far-reaching consequences of one man's actions. Brilliant.

On 1/10/2013 at 8:18 PM, AnOceanPearl said:

Slaughterhouse-Five is fantastic. Vonnegut is fantastic.

I love Vonnegut, I still have much more to read, but my favourites (in order) are: 

Sirens of Titan

Cat's cradle

Slaughterhouse 5

bluebeard

Jailbird

Breakfast of champions 

I just started reading one flew over the Cuckoo's nest after failing miserably to get through both Ulysses and Atlas shrugged (just to say I read it and have an option about it, but man is it awful)

I'm reading this really good book called:  

The Patrol: Seven Days in the Life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan
By: Ryan Flavelle

https://www.amazon.ca/Patrol-Ryan-Flavelle/dp/1443407186/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Patrol%3A+Seven+Days+in+the+Life+of+a+Canadian+Soldier+in+Afghanistan&qid=1600202721&sr=8-1

Recently finished The Night Angel Trilogy and the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.
His character work is phenomenal. His books can be brutal, and he makes his characters deal with consequences. Death is far from the worst thing that can happen (and he doesn't do plot armor either).

Also, Sly Botts/AnOceanPearl, War by Sebastian Junger might be up y'all's alley. That was a phenomenal read

I'm still on a massive Emily St. John-Mandel kick. For fans of forward-thinking, post-apocalyptic sci-fi, 'Station Eleven' is an obvious choice, but having read her entire catalog now, I can definitely say that all of her work is worth checking out. My favorite author of the past decade by a country mile.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:28 AM, Williammunny11 said:

I'm still on a massive Emily St. John-Mandel kick. For fans of forward-thinking, post-apocalyptic sci-fi, 'Station Eleven' is an obvious choice, but having read her entire catalog now, I can definitely say that all of her work is worth checking out. My favorite author of the past decade by a country mile.

I apparently put this on my kobo wishlist at some point and I've added it to my notes file on my phones about books I want to read b/c my kobo wishlist is a bit... overwhelming.

Here is what I have read so far this year:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Agents of Dreamland; Black Helicopters; The Tindalos Asset by Caitlin R Kiernan 

Firestarter by Stephen King

A Certain Hunger by Chelsea G. Summers

Shovel Ready; Near Enemy by Adam Sternbergh

Halting State; Rule 34 by Charles Stross

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet; A Closed and Common Orbit; Record of a Spaceborn Few; The Galaxy and The Ground Within by Becky Chambers

The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley

Next up is probably the Worldbreaker Saga by Kameron Hurley