THE MAN

New Album Speculation

Hey hey everyone! I figured I would throw up a thread to see if anyone else has heard any rumors regarding a new album follow-up to LOES.

In particular, I think that a new album isn't even that far away. If anyone remembers that nice long 2 part interview he did with Alan Cross, the question was asked about any new work on the horizon, and Matt responded by saying that he wanted to record during a tour with a live band, and do a different song in each city.

This isn't the first time he brought up the idea, and he's been saying he wanted to do an acoustic album with Warne Livesey in a different hotel room for every song for years now. That right there seems to just tell me the possibility is more than likely for it to happen.

2 things that run through my mind are that in all reality he finished the songs for LOES nearly a year ago so he's sure to already have some new stuff written. And with all the time between when the dates were announced and when they are, there's time for the preproduction involved. The other interesting point is that if you look at how the tour dates are set up, there are a few breaks in the schedule. If you watch that Alan Cross interview again, he mentions that he would record in more "interesting" cities like Peterborough, and if you look at the dates, there's a day off after that show. Same thing with the Red Deer show in Alberta. There's 3 days off between that show and the one in Edmonton, and it does NOT take 3 days to drive from one to the other. It costs some big dollars to keep 10 people on the road, and if you ask me you wouldn't just be dicking around in Alberta for 3 days with a full tour crew unless you were up to something interesting. There's a few other tour breaks like that which also raise my interest in this possibility

Now maybe I'm just looking for things I want to see, but it does make me think that there might be some recording going down this tour. What's everyone else think? All just wishful thinking? All I gotta say is that if it is true, then we get Ian Browne on drums for a record. That's a reason for some celebration! (no offense to Stu or Pat, they are both stellar drummers, Ian is just a favourite of mine.)

i speculate it'll come out when it's ready. musicians make money from touring. they tour to support albums. releasing an album now would not make great business sense. also, i'm betting the label calls the shots as to when albums are released.

It could still be possible that they're working on live recordings while on tour, as the OP suggested. Maybe not, we'll see. I'm sure we won't hear about anything for a good while. Matt Good probably won't say anything about recordings or a new album until well after a US leg of the tour. LOES is still settling in, after all.

Edited by Gomo

It could still be possible that they're working on live recordings while on tour, as the OP suggested. Maybe not, we'll see. I'm sure we won't hear about anything for a good while. Matt Good probably won't say anything about recordings or a new album until well after a US leg of the tour. LOES is still settling in, after all.

Did I miss dates for a US tour?

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt this most recent album the last of his obligation with Universal? saturnine, you're absolutely right, artists tour to support their most recent work, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be throwing a new song onto the setlist at each venue with the intent of recording it for next album. technically speaking he's not releasing anything, just taking the opportunity to prepare his next album while touring his current one. regarding the OP's speculation regarding venue dates, don't look too much into it... the hall is booked for 6 days prior to his show as well as the days following. red deer is right in the middle of calgary and edmonton, so it was either lay over in edmonton for a few days or skip it. there's 4 days in between the end of his alberta tour and the start of his BC tour, so this is the point where he'll probably go home. it's a 45 min flight to kelowna from vancouver.

I remember watching the interview the OP is talking about, and he did discuss that idea for the new album, and did mention he would like to record in some smaller, more offbeat cities/towns ie: Peterborough instead of Toronto.

He was talking about recording the songs in a studio, not live during a show. IIRC he also mentioned one of the problems of this album idea would be finding appropriate recording studios in these smaller towns. I'd imagine a major problem when scheduling this tour is that he'd have to make sure there is both an open venue available for his regular concert and studio time available in every city he wanted to record in, which would be challenging.

I say who knows, it was just an idea he had and those can change like the wind.

Judging by his recent posts on the M+ blog (amongst all the tits), I would say that that recording is definitely not going to be happening anytime soon. Matt has said that he has no new material at this point. He seems to be trying to decide the direction of his next album at this point, whether he should make something would appeal a little more to the mainstream (a direction he seems to be leaning in). He also wants to do more solo acoustic tours, so it would likely be something that he could tour that way. I guess LOES hasn't sold very well so far, and it's very difficult to reproduce live, so I think he is hesitant to continue down that road with a wife and kids at home.

He hasn't touched on it at all. The tits are gone now, too. He said himself he was bored and couldn't think of any content to put up for M+ so he just took a stab at "blogging" like the rest of the world does.