Crusader

Matthew Good 2012 Us Tour

I feel awful this morning. Mostly because the show last night was the late show and I didn't get home til around 2AM. Had to sleep in an extra hour and I'm going in late to work...lol

First of all I have never heard Matt talk that much in between songs. That must be a new record. He most likely was thinking he didn't give a shit anymore and was just going out the way he wanted. The crowd enjoyed it all for the most part. Here's the set. Don't think I missed any but let me know if I did...

New York City -- Mercury Lounge

Born Losers

Strange Days

Avalanche

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

99% Of Us Is Failure

Suburbia

Load Me Up

Advertising On Police Cars

The Fine Art of Falling Apart

Metal Airplanes

How It Goes

Apparitions

Alert Status Red

So Long Mrs. Smith

Fated

Ommissions Of The Omen

Generation X-Wing

For Fine Art, Matt was like fuck it and jumped down into the middle of a packed house and sang it unplugged. Everyone circled around him. I was near the stage so I couldn't get near him there or see him at all, but other people had videos of it so I'll look out for those. I did get a lot of videos (full songs) so I will have to look through them later today. He sounded good for being sick for weeks. Glad he could go on with the show. One thing I will say is the venue was intimate and cool, but there was literally no backstage so Lance was to the side of the stage tuning guitars in the middle of quiet parts of songs, which was a little distracting especially during 99%. Overall a great night. I wonder how much of that setlist was written down or planned. I feel like he had 5 songs in mind going in and then played whatever.

Also the opening act, Emily Green, was pretty cool. Glad to see a NY native up on stage.

Edited by Gomo

I second Gomo's review of the night...and yes, the set list is correct.

The Fine Art of Falling Apart was definitely the highlight. I yelled for him to play it, he said "I can do that", and then started talking about the cool moment he had in Philly with "99%" and jumped off the stage and played it in the middle of the crowd.

Unlike Gomo, I didn't take any videos (I was trying to soak it all in), but will periodically check on YouTube to see if anyone posted anything.

One funny thing at the show happened after he played "Ommissions"...he mentioned there were only 4 songs or so that he liked from LOTGA and that the rest were crap. I yelled out "She's Got a New Disguise" (which I LOVE), and he pointed at me and said "that song's crap".

When I hear that song, I hear the derivation of what he's become. Yes, the song feels rather stripped down and simpler compared to his more recent songs, but the emotion he conveys in that song is magical to me.

Matt, if you're reading this, THANK YOU for a wonderful show and tour. Not only do you have a fan for life in me, I converted two of my friends last night - and my wife now loves you too! You are truly a wonderful musician, and your music will remain deep in my soul until I die.

I second Gomo's review of the night...and yes, the set list is correct.

The Fine Art of Falling Apart was definitely the highlight. I yelled for him to play it, he said "I can do that"

One funny thing at the show happened after he played "Ommissions"...he mentioned there were only 4 songs or so that he liked from LOTGA and that the rest were crap. I yelled out "She's Got a New Disguise" (which I LOVE), and he pointed at me and said "that song's crap".

Haha so that was you! Sorry the peeps on The Bored didn't coordinate, would have liked to say hello to some of you. But anyway, you were over on the left side of the stage towards the front. I was on the other side up against the stage. I was making sure to soak it all in despite taking videos. I've developed a steadier hand so I don't have to watch the concert through a screen.

And for the record, LOTGA is one of my favorite albums and She's Got A New Disguise has always been one of my favorite songs. The first time I met him I asked him why he hated that song so much. He didn't say it was shit, but pretty sure he said that it's just so far in the past and he's over it, basically.

Oh and when he was talking about joke songs I wanted to yell out Bad Pennies really bad, but I restrained myself.

Edited by Gomo
  • Upvote 1

Yes...that was me on the front left! I figured you would be up at the front as well, but I didn't want to ask random people if they were "Gomo" or Joe. Next time (if Matt comes back to NYC) we'll have to meet up...I may travel to see him now that my wife would be on board, but it would be so much easier if he comes back to the city.

Today at work just sucks. I can't get anything accomplished, and have Matt Good songs and Emily Greene's "Is This What You Had In Mind" going through my head. That was the highlight of her set, in my opinion.

I'd consider traveling too, but I'd be much more likely to travel for a full band show. Are you originally from NY? When I tell people I grew up in Queens they act like I'm a martian.

I liked "Is This What You Had In Mind". I actually liked the song about her landlord the most. I can't find the name of that one, maybe it's one of her new songs. I think one of the lines was "How low do you want to go"

Gomo, you were right about the title, although I think it might be just "How Low". Yes, that was good as well (probably my 2nd favorite of hers).

Here is a brief clip of it:

I actually grew up in CT, but have lived in a bunch of places. I've been in NYC since 2004...love my job and many aspects of the city (the energy, culture, Central Park, etc.) but I can't stand crowds. It's a dilemma I fight nearly every day...

Would love to see the videos you took when you get a chance to post them. I'm sure they're great...

Edited by Sensory Overload

Wow, sounds like those last two shows were grand.. congrats all you lucky ducks in attendance to see the unplugged version :)

I did finally finish the photos from the Rochester and NF shows and put them together as a set on Flickr. They're not public but if you want to see them, just holler and I'll send a link to you.

Edited by theladymargaret

Totally interested in the DVD if its put up on Dime. Would love something of Matts I could just plug into my tv and sit down and watch.

Also agree that Emily Greene is a major sweetheart and I quite enjoyed her sets as well, had some time to talk to her in Portland and she seems like a real genuine nice and interested person.

Gomo (Joe), This is a little bit off-topic but I went to your MySpace (linked in your profile) and listened to the songs that you created. First off, you have a fantastic voice, and I think any band looking for a frontman/songwriter/pianist would be lucky to have you. "Darling" is a phenomenal song...the emotion you convey is sincere and gut-wrenching. If you never write another song in your life you can remain proud of that creation. I also liked "Hatchet" as well, but "Darling" is definitely your masterpiece.

Keep on writing, and let me know if you ever play in NYC. I will come watch you in a heartbeat. You are REALLY good...

I found a few recordings of the NYC show on YouTube:

Apparitions

Matt shows off his great sense of humor in the beginning, and then rocks an amazing rendition of the song. This person was standing almost directly behind me (my head is off to the left of the frame), so this was basically the exact vantage point I had at the show. It was tremendous...

The Fine Art of Falling Apart (unplugged)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK64GL-GRv0

99% of Us is Failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqd5GfSdsg

Ommissions of the Omen

Generation X-Wing

So Long Mrs. Smith

Edited by Sensory Overload
  • Upvote 1

Thanks man...that is really truly appreciated. It's funny, I was going through a little bit of a phase here where I was lacking confidence in my abilities, but you've certainly helped me snap out of that funk with your comments. Something about those tracks, those were all recorded between 2005 and 2009. I've got a lot more, but they are of varying quality. Darling has gotten people's attention in the past...and something about that song, I recorded the vocals and piano at the same time (back in 2005 at the tender age of 20). Added the reverb and additional sounds later. I could never nail it like that again. But yeah, that song's basically about me at the time, a guy learning how to deal with relationships and dating, getting dumped by someone special. The way that song sounds is pretty much how I felt at the time. Ah young love, or something. I'm looking to record more material soon, and when I do I'll be sure to post it on the other creative board.

As for the vids, I will watch later when I get home. I have some other songs that this person did not capture.

Edited by Gomo

Mercury Lounge - 3/7/12

Strange Days: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U43dzS_93tE

Suburbia: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v8ubBX36WpY

While We Were Hunting Rabbits:

Load Me Up:

How It Goes:

So Long Mrs. Smith:

Fated:

Joke Song: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PLDbljt0Bls

Omissions of the Omen:

Generation X-Wing:

420996_752049080890_43905085_35177758_453198355_n.jpg

423754_752049115820_43905085_35177759_1948501266_n.jpg

And here's a couple of other pics:

http://sphotos.xx.fb...668091238_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak...871314159_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fb...989976016_n.jpg

Edited by Gomo
  • Upvote 1

That's really disappointing. It might be my favorite album. "She's Got a New Disguise", SWW, Fearless, Omissions, Vermillion etc. = so good.