Sensory Overload

Favorite Matthew Good Song?

There are so many songs I would pick, but then the next track on my playlist starts and I immediately think "No no! this one is my favourite!"

So my favourite tends to be the most recent track I've heard by MG(B). lol

I feel the same way, but the one I keep coming back to is Avalanche!

I don't feel that this is a fair question at all.  I doubt I could pick a favourite song from any one album, let alone Matt's entire collection of tune-age.  I am not even certain that I could keep the list in double digits.  

There are, however, songs that anchored me when my life was exceedingly storm tossed.  I am fairly certain that I would not be the person I am today, without them.

Giant-Change Of Season-Lullaby For The New World Order-Empty Road-Empty's Theme Park

*This is in no way a comprehensive list.  I reserve the right to change my mind.

• Upvote 1

Mira's right.......picking one favourite song is damn near impossible.

The best I could do is a top 15!

Avalanche

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Double Life

We're so Heavy

Inescapable Us

Great Whales of the Sea

The Vancouver National Anthem

Non Populus

Suburbia

Tripoli

Truffle Pigs

Girls in Black

Generation X-Wing (acoustic)

99% of us is Failure

A Single Explosion

What's great is this list is always changing....which is a testament to how diverse and deep Matt's catalogue is.

Edited by GWS

Avalanche

Double Life

We're so Heavy

Inescapable Us

Great Whales of the Sea

Non Populus

Suburbia

Tripoli

Truffle Pigs

Girls in Black

99% of us is Failure

A Single Explosion

What's great is this list is always changing....which is a testament to how diverse and deep Matt's catalogue is.

Very good list! I'm also a fan of A Single Explosion. No matter what, I have to listen to it if it comes up on my shuffle play.

• Upvote 1

I'm just gonna throw this in here while we're talking about shuffles.

I had to take all other music off my phone to conserve space for the time being, and I've been doing a shuffle of all MG and MGB stuff on my daily commute.

Today, Primetime Deliverance Instrumental came on and I really think I'd never heard it before or knew that it existed. I'm sure it was in with that download that was around a year or so ago. Anyone know where it came from? It's categorized as being on In a Coma, but this feels like new news to me, unless I just missed something, which is entirely possible.

On the main floor of Bankers Hall during the noon hour today, I heard Apparitions playing on the sound system. I was so shocked, I had to do a double take. I think they usually play elevator music. This is the first time I heard his music being played at a shopping mall. It is a busy downtown tower where people shop, grab lunch, and go to work. His music is catching on here. I'm happy about that. I hear at least two Matthew Good songs on the radio (X92.9) everyday at work too.

Edited by girl

Avalanche

Double Life

We're so Heavy

Inescapable Us

Great Whales of the Sea

Non Populus

Suburbia

Tripoli

Truffle Pigs

Girls in Black

99% of us is Failure

A Single Explosion

It's true! I said Avalanche up there, but my 15 are...

Omissions of the Omen

Prime Time Deliverance

A Boy and His Machine Gun

Born to Kill

Truffle Pigs

Tripoli

Avalanche

Weapon

WWWHR

Blue Skies

Champions of Nothing

Vancouver National Anthem

Empty's Theme Park

Non Populus

Via Dolorosa

Kid Down The Well/Los Alamos

Damn it! Even 15 is hard haha

I'm just gonna throw this in here while we're talking about shuffles.

I had to take all other music off my phone to conserve space for the time being, and I've been doing a shuffle of all MG and MGB stuff on my daily commute.

Today, Primetime Deliverance Instrumental came on and I really think I'd never heard it before or knew that it existed. I'm sure it was in with that download that was around a year or so ago. Anyone know where it came from? It's categorized as being on In a Coma, but this feels like new news to me, unless I just missed something, which is entirely possible.

I have the most tempermental phone, which erases my playlists, or pares them down at random moments.  It recently completely erased my lists, so I was able to keep my ears peeled for this song specifically, after reading your post.  It think I found the one of which you speak:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CE_dq6L44

If that's the one you have on your phone, then it is from "In A Coma".  I had kind of forgotten about the acoustic renderings he does on "In A Coma", until recently.  I can barely listen to the original "Hello Time Bomb" now, so obsessed am I with the acoustic version:  ditto for "Generation X-Wing".

I have the most tempermental phone, which erases my playlists, or pares them down at random moments. It recently completely erased my lists, so I was able to keep my ears peeled for this song specifically, after reading your post. It think I found the one of which you speak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CE_dq6L44

If that's the one you have on your phone, then it is from "In A Coma". I had kind of forgotten about the acoustic renderings he does on "In A Coma", until recently. I can barely listen to the original "Hello Time Bomb" now, so obsessed am I with the acoustic version: ditto for "Generation X-Wing".

Yes I have that acoustic one, but the one I am just now seeing pop up is like a straight up orchestra instrumental, no vocal.

I agree, the Rooms versions are really special, and I'm glad they exist.

Yes I have that acoustic one, but the one I am just now seeing pop up is like a straight up orchestra instrumental, no vocal.

I agree, the Rooms versions are really special, and I'm glad they exist.

I would love to hear that one.  I have no idea where you might have picked it up, and would love it if you could keep me posted if you figure out where you got it!

I've been watching the lists of top 15, and loving the picks.  I thought I'd try for myself.  Alas I failed to make it only 15, but managed to pare it down to 25.

1/Change of Season

2/Giant

3/Lullaby For The New World Order

4/Empty Road

5/Empty's Theme Park

6/So Long Mrs. Smith

7/Fated

8/Running For Home

9/Avalanche

10/Black Helicopter

11/Garden Of Knives

12/Born Losers

13/Weapon

14/Advertising on Police Cars

15/Zero Orchestra

16/Flashdance II

17/Flight Recorder From Viking 7

18/Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance

19/Letters In Wartime

20/Man Of Action

21/Prime Time Deliverance

22/Sort Of A Protest Song

23/Generation X-Wing--acoustic version

24/Symbolistic White Walls

25/Guns of Carolina

While We Were Hunting Rabbits makes me very nostalgic. Avalanche came out in what, 03? but I remember being super into that album in 04/05, it was not long after I got out of highschool. Anyway, it reminds me of a simpler time, when there was a world of infinite possibility before me. 

For me it's Suburbia, hands down. No other song of his can quite capture the atmosphere and essence of so many different experiences in my life. Particularly memories of mine from driving through BC and Ontario as a kid around the ages of 7-10 or so. What's interesting is that I only started to listen to MG(B) around a year ago, sometime in the summer. For a song to bring back those memories is really saying something. Not to mention it's perfect for falling asleep to! While there are songs of his that I absolutely love, such as most of what has already been mentioned, if there is one song I most want other people to hear and enjoy as much as I do and serve as a testament to what a fantastic song writer he is, it's Suburbia.

You know it's funny. I recently made an iTunes playlist of my top 10 favorite songs of all time. There were some songs that were very obvious to me. But there is no clear Matthew Good choice. Matt Good is if not my most listened to artist (between him solo and the band) then my second most listened to, so you would figure one of his songs would be in my top 10 of all time. But I found myself picking at least 8 or 9 easily before any Matt Good. I have Fearless right now teetering on 10 or 11 simply because it's got the most plays in my library, but in my heart I wouldn't consider it a top 10 all time song! Or even my top MG song! It's really strange.

I could probably make a top 10 MG playlist, but I still wouldn't know what to rank first.....I might lean toward either The Fine Art of Falling Apart or Non Populus.

I don't fuckin' know. lol.

Edited by Gomo