Sensory Overload

Favorite Matthew Good Song?

Guest Idioteque

Pretty embarrassing but I finally looked up the lyrics to I Miss New Wave.

I thought it was marlboros or marbles for over a decade.

"drown in a hot tub, fill it with models"

Pretty embarrassing but I finally looked up the lyrics to I Miss New Wave.

I thought it was marlboros or marbles for over a decade.

"drown in a hot tub, fill it with models"

I've always heard models, but I have different feelings on how you interpret the song depending on which type of models he's talking about.

Still number 1 is my number 1:

1. The Rat Who Would Be King

2. Blue Skies over Bad Lands

3. Non Populus

4. Avalanche

That order has not changed in the last years. Still the same.

That is an extremely solid top 4.  Hard to beat any of those songs.

Well, I agree with everyone in that it's hard to pick 1, or 10, or 100 lol. I was asked what my favourite song was (out of any artist) not long ago, and I knew it had to be a Matt Good song, but it was so difficult to choose one. I ended up going with Apparitions, I suppose partly because it was one more people would know. The truth is though that it is one of my favourites, despite the years of airplay and always being a concert staple to appease more moderate fans. I love the song musically (especially more recent live performances with Stu playing lap steel), Matt's vocals are great, and the lyrics are a great reminder of why I stopped and took notice of MGB over other artists at the time. "We're stuck inside our own machine" resonated with me then and still does. This song, along with Everything Is Automatic, is what got me hooked in the first place.

I would have to say a few other songs share that top spot though. I've said both Born To Kill and Avalanche as faves before, and I think I would have to add Non Populus, House Of Smoke And Mirrors (" I've fallen asleep...been asleep for years" into the climax of the song just hits me emotionally speaking) and Los Alamos (speaking of songs that hit me, this one's like a gut punch, but in a good way lol. When I saw it performed live a few months after I had broken up with my girlfriend of nearly 5 years, it just perfectly encapsulated how I felt. "Used to be a part of me that never thought to doubt" often brings chills and/or tears). I could put a bunch more, but I don't want to put a top 25 when it's supposed to be one. Six is closer to one than 25, right lol?

So yeah, in no order:

Non Populus

Avalanche

House Of Smoke And Mirrors

Apparitions

Los Alamos

Born To Kill

Edited by Devil On Rollerskates

For me the emotional reactions come from songs that represent a time or moment in my life. I've always been someone that likes to take walks. I walk everywhere, and especially living in New York City I walk because I don't own a car. And when I'm walking I almost always have headphones on. Doing this has always just deepened my personal connection to music. It's like an old friend that is always by my side. And in that way Matt Good's music has been traveling and walking with me for years. And there have been certain moments/periods of time where songs like Non Populus or She's In It For The Money or Last Parade or Fearless or It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man ... were on repeat and became important to me and had a special impact on me at the time. And when I listen to them I still think back to those moments.

Dunno that I can pick favorites honestly.

I have also had incredibly emotional reactions to “Los Alamos”..... I can’t really explain it, but it stirs a potent combination of memories in me every time I hear it.

It is a really moving song. I remember at the show I really got into the songs, just moving with the music. I remember during Los Alamos and a few other songs I was just kinda standing there swaying with my eyes half shut, I can imagine it looking like I was on drugs, but the only drug I was on was the music, man lol.

For me the emotional reactions come from songs that represent a time or moment in my life. I've always been someone that likes to take walks. I walk everywhere, and especially living in New York City I walk because I don't own a car. And when I'm walking I almost always have headphones on. Doing this has always just deepened my personal connection to music. It's like an old friend that is always by my side. And in that way Matt Good's music has been traveling and walking with me for years. And there have been certain moments/periods of time where songs like Non Populus or She's In It For The Money or Last Parade or Fearless or It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man ... were on repeat and became important to me and had a special impact on me at the time. And when I listen to them I still think back to those moments.

Dunno that I can pick favorites honestly.

Obviously Los Alamos represented a time in my life, and certainly other songs have too. Avalanche definitely did. I also enjoy taking walks with my headphones on. I remember one time becoming aware of the fact that I was basically marching along to Last Parade.

To add to my list of six to make a top ten, I will add The Rat Who Would Be King, Bullets In A Briefcase (the latest addition), While We Were Hunting Rabbits and Suburbia.

I have my favorites on each album but Weapon and Lights of Endangered Species have stood out head and shoulders above the rest .  Hearing Weapon on Alias was the song that got me over the hump and into Matt's music in a big way.  Lights is a song that strikes a chord for me every time I hear it, I just stop and sing along. 

Guest Idioteque

"Fall of Man" always reminded me of a song I couldn't quite put my finger on until today.

Change (In the House of Flies) by Deftones, anyone else hear similarities?

"Fall of Man" always reminded me of a song I couldn't quite put my finger on until today.

Yeah I can kind of hear them. I never heard that song before but I do remember someone sarcastically describing the song as a Deftones cover back when the record came out. Not being a Deftones fan, I never got that reference until now.

All the way. Both great songs.

I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but yeah.  Huge Deftones fan back in high school.

I will echo some others here in that I had never thought of that but now that you mention it I think there are some definite similarities...I LOVE the Deftones, but I have always thought "Change" was one of their weaker songs; this observation has me appreciating it in a different light:)

It looks like no one has posted here in awhile but this thread has been pinballing around my brain for awhile, as I've encountered many people who are unfamililar with Matt's music and want to hear a 'sample' of his musical stylings.  This always leads me to the question of how to define Matt's music.  True, he is primarily a rock n' roller but he is so much more than just that:  he has such excellent range musically, a fantastic lyricist and poet, not to mention that he is a strong advocate of mental health awareness, social justice as well as fierce critic of international politics.  It's tough for me to encapsulate all that he is in a nutshell musically, or otherwise. 

I started thinking about what 5 songs I would offer to people that might capture a pretty accurate cross-section of his musical range.  While this wouldn't address the other aspects of Matt's public personae, it would at least have the capacity to get people curious enough to follow up on their own.

Here's the list I have come up with, but would love to hear others' thoughts on this:

1-Dancing Invisible

2-Something Like A Storm

3-Empty Road

4-Zero Orchestra

5-Garden of Knives

Let me know what you think!