IamNick

Live Acoustic Album

Has Matt ever said anything about recording a live acoustic album? There's a few acoustic re-recordings on In a Coma that are fantastic and I'd love to hear more. I know in the past he's said things like he wanted to do acoustic EPs or something like that, and he seems to do regular acoustic tours in the US so I thought a live acoustic album wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

A few years ago an acoustic show at Massey Hall was recorded from what I've heard, But was unreleased and later a full band show was recorded at Massey Hall and officially released. I would love a live acoustic album as the songs vary so much from their studio forms and also you usually get sets filled with different kinds of rarities and some hilarious crowd interactions.

Yeah, the 2007 Massey Hall show was recorded. If you're in Canada, you can buy two of the songs from it on iTunes - they're the acoustic bonus tracks on Vancouver. (A third song was offered as a pre-order bonus.)

I don't think Matt was entirely pleased with his performance that night. (If you can find the original thread from the show, he posted a little bit about it.) He was a little bit nervous at the outset. I'd still love for that show to be released in full, if only because of how brilliant the last encore was. But that probably won't happen - Massey Hall is a union venue, so there are extra costs involved in releasing anything recorded there.

I think a live acoustic album or EP would be fantastic. Honestly, if it were me, I'd do it on the super cheap - drag along a digital four-track, use two tracks to record the audience, one track each for voice and guitar. Pick out the best moments from the tour (or the best whole-show) and release it.

Yeah, the 2007 Massey Hall show was recorded. If you're in Canada, you can buy two of the songs from it on iTunes - they're the acoustic bonus tracks on Vancouver. (A third song was offered as a pre-order bonus.)

The third song was "99% of Us Is Failure". Of the three Vancouver bonus tracks, I think that one was my favorite. Matt uploaded it to his SoundCloud:

http://soundcloud.co...is-failure-live

(His version includes the banter that followed, which is pretty great, too.)

Edited by uglyredhonda

haha I always hate when bands cut out the banter on their live albums...Matt's laser pointer bit is pretty hilarious. I remember getting a version of The Who;s Live at Leeds and it had cut out all the hilarious banter between songs, its strange, But it made me enjoy the album far less, the music was still phenomenal, But just the humourous interplay between the band really made that so complete and enjoyable, I still to this day can't listen to the intro to "A quick one while he's away" on that album without laughing.