MarcoBeltrami

Bc Teachers On Strike?

Their main beef is "They make more in Alberta!". Yeah, and? They make less in Newfoundland, whats your fucking point? Everyone earns more in Alberta; plumbers, electricians, mechanics, teachers, government employees, Alberta's economy rocks BC's atm. Doctors earn far more in the States, should our Canadian doctors strike because someone somewhere else has it better?

If I thought half the teachers out there gave a fuck, I'd support them, but in all of high school I had 3 teachers that were competent and seemed to genuinely give a shit. Most them were really there for the paycheque and seemed to hate teaching and barely tolerate the students, or were massively fucking incompetent.

I say get the cock out of your ass and get to work. If you like Alberta's wages better, move there.

And the teachers were working until the BC Government decided to write up that back-to-work legislation. All they were doing before was not issuing report cards and taking kids on field trips (which never really happened anymore).

Also, do you actually live in Vancouver or any of the suburbs? It costs A LOT to live here, it can cost up to $6 an hour for parking and it costs almost $3+ to take a bus/train for an hour. Don't forget that our public schools are hilariously over populated. You'd also be surprised to see how the kids these days act as well. Teaching isn't an easy job.

Just remember that even though your teachers may have sucked in highschool or elementary, it doesn't mean that all of them do.

• Upvote 2

Going through 5-6 years of post secondary school to become a teacher costs a shitload too. People talk about only working 10 months of the year, but teachers put in a lot of time at home without pay. That's not to say that there aren't teachers who just phone it in, but I think the majority of them are decent people.

bc teacher's union opposed a multi million dollar plan to renovate the playgrounds of many schools and parks because they wanted the cash to go toward their collective bargaining agreement.

an elementary school teacher with a masters degree earns over $80,000 under the current agreement. i'd say that's fair -- and they are asking for more money not because they are greedy and demand more money (every teacher i know is happy with their income) but because the provincial government can't offer them smaller class sizes or more job opportunities. it's part of negotiation -- buy them off. that's how unions work.

it's actually cheaper to increase teacher's wages by 15% over 3-5 years than it is to lower class sizes and create more jobs by building schools. the provincial government is undergoing massive cuts to lower the deficit, unfortunately this is why nothing can be done -- there is simply no money... and why my son is going to private school for his entire life.

Edited by RicardoObviouso

an elementary school teacher with a masters degree earns over $80,000 under the current agreement.

I call bullshit.

6 years (masters degree), Maximum $70,684 (http://resource.educationcanada.com/salaries.html/)

That number is consistent with the data here: http://bctf.ca/publications/ResearchReports.aspx?id=8426 [Cat 6M mean $70,741.37]

http://www.bcpsea.bc.ca/documents/publications/00-LB-FINAL%20Teacher%20Compensation%202011%20Discussion%20Paper%20April%202011.pdf Supports $80k as the maximum, but in a range of 50-80, so it is hardly the average (which is 71k).

Being innumerate is no excuse.

In any case, based on the data I have provided, having a masters degree and enough experience to merit cat 6M does not make you average. You can plainly see that most teachers (who have B.Ed's) are not going to be making near that much money. Hence though I don't doubt the veracity of your 3 samples, I still call into question your out right assertion that it is the norm.

Your statement was:

an elementary school teacher with a masters degree earns over $80,000 under the current agreement.

Which, is normally interpreted as a general statement about a class (which is further reasonable because you gave no context of your statement). Had you said "Teachers I know earn..." I would have still called you because it is outside of the norm.

You furthered that with

i'd say that's fair

Which only served to re-enforce that you were generalizing the statement over the entire class.

Now if you want to back away from that generalization, or even accuse me of misreading your statement that would be fair I suppose. You would concede the point however, that BC teachers are generally underpaid. Which does seem to be well supported in the hard data I found.