Just bought their new album, gonna dive into it in about 10 minutes. Loved these guys in the 90s, Ian Thornley's vocals are genuinely laced with pure silk, and crippling angst.

"That Song"

"The Olf"

"Under the Lighthouse"

And "Blown Wide Open"

All bring back a lot of memories for me, and I am so thankful that they released this latest effort "albatross"

Looking at the list of what "listeners also bought" in the iTunes store.... It's filled with Matt Good titles, goes to show that some people know a good voice when they here one.

For all you kids out there, in case you're wondering.... I turned 40 in July (and that makes the late 90s full of good memories for a guy my age).

I'm really interested in checking out their new album. With them reuniting (not to mention I Mother Earth) and a new album from The Headstones on the way, Canadian music is looking a lot more like it did in the late 90s (when I was still a teenager) and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't mind hearing from Moist too!

Wait! What? Big Wreck have a new album out? I didn't even know if they were back together let alone having a new album out. That's unexpected, but kind of exciting. I'll have to check it out. I hope it doesn't just sound like his solo stuff.

So what do you think of the new album? I think it's pretty solid. Maybe as good as the second, definitely not as good as the first but I would never expect that anyway. In a way it might be better than the second because I thought that album had too many songs/was too long. It could have easily been cut down. This album eliminates that and is more cohesive but still has plenty technicality and whatnot. It's maybe a little more radio friendly than the first but it works as a Big Wreck album on the whole.

I really didn't like the Glass Room song at first but it's growing a bit. I think it's mainly the chorus, or the first part of the chorus or whatever it is. It sounds cheesy and too poppy to me and reminds me of Third Eye Blind rather than BW. Also parts of the beginning or verses don't really sound like BW to me but other parts sound quite good.

The first four songs are a really good stretch. Control is really cool. You Caught My Eye is quite good and the last song Time is a very good closer.

Guest Idioteque

Just started getting into Big Wreck & Thornley. I didn't realize I knew most of their songs thanks to 99.3,
and they had a free show in Vancouver a week ago & I'm kicking myself for not going. 

Ian (their front man and primary writer) is coming out with a solo CD at the end of the month. 

Been waiting a long time for this (ever since I heard his Myspace Demos back around 2008). He has an incredible blues/folk sense of mood that he incorporates into his stuff.

If anyone's is interested they can hear the first single on his website or just download it off iTunes: 

http://www.ianfletcherthornley.com/

Guest Idioteque

That's funny, you can see similarities in music videos. 
My friend used to be the drummer for Bif Naked so next time Big Wreck (or Ian) comes to town I'll probably get to go backstage woo!

Side note, does anyone remember this song? I just stumbled across it, and it hit me with so much nostalgia lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hlwcFGqVK0

I love how Big Wreck came back with a bang.  They're more productive now than they ever were before the break up and they just released the first single I believe from their next album and it's a sweet return to the more rocking Big Wreck.  I appreciate the different turn they took with Grace Street but I wasn't able to really get into that album as a whole.  It definitely has great moments and a few solid songs but I thought some parts dragged on and didn't go anywhere interesting.

Here it is:

On 8/17/2012 at 3:27 PM, Manchalivin said:

So what do you think of the new album? I think it's pretty solid. Maybe as good as the second, definitely not as good as the first but I would never expect that anyway. In a way it might be better than the second because I thought that album had too many songs/was too long. It could have easily been cut down. This album eliminates that and is more cohesive but still has plenty technicality and whatnot. It's maybe a little more radio friendly than the first but it works as a Big Wreck album on the whole.

I really didn't like the Glass Room song at first but it's growing a bit. I think it's mainly the chorus, or the first part of the chorus or whatever it is. It sounds cheesy and too poppy to me and reminds me of Third Eye Blind rather than BW. Also parts of the beginning or verses don't really sound like BW to me but other parts sound quite good.

The first four songs are a really good stretch. Control is really cool. You Caught My Eye is quite good and the last song Time is a very good closer.

Albatross was hit and miss for me. There were certain songs I really liked (Albatross, Control, Rest of the World) and more than a few I felt were pretty "meh". I've felt that way about all of their CDs since they reunited actually. 

It's funny you should mention their second album though as I've always felt that was one of the strongest CDs I've ever listened to, from any band. I agree it's long, but the amazing thing to me about it was that there is almost no filler which is rare for any group. I wish more bands could pull that off these days as 14-15 great songs on one album is just fantastic (the ironic thing, imo was that the two weakest songs of the album were singles, lol). Undersold, Everything is Fine, Ladylike, Breakthrough (which featured Miles Kennedy before he hit it big with Alterbridge), West Virginia, and Defined By What We Steal are standouts for me in the entirety of the BW catalog. 

They just did such a great job at finding a balance between complex instrumental layering, unique sonic instrumentation, meaningful lyrics/vocal performances, and enjoyable/catchy melodies that it's one that really stands the test of time for me.

But, each to their own ? Nothing wrong with someone else feeling differently. 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, Manchalivin said:

I love how Big Wreck came back with a bang.  They're more productive now than they ever were before the break up and they just released the first single I believe from their next album and it's a sweet return to the more rocking Big Wreck.  I appreciate the different turn they took with Grace Street but I wasn't able to really get into that album as a whole.  It definitely has great moments and a few solid songs but I thought some parts dragged on and didn't go anywhere interesting.

Here it is:

I've been really digging this one. It seems like the band was able to take the more technical side of their song writing/performing abilities that they've been honing this decade and mix it with Ian's ability to write catchy tunes. Hope the new album has more like this.