ncguitarplyr

Least Favorite Matthew Good Song

On 9/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, patrickjnixon said:

Actually, In love with a bad idea.  That song was a bad idea lol

haha, nicely done.  I like all Matt's songs, but mostly the early stuff, love his folks songs from History Teacher, I'm not a fan of some of the moodier darker songs in the last few albums.  

Girl Wedged Under a Firebird, Safer than a Bank and  I'm a Window , three...eh... songs in a row.  I like She's in it for the Money and True Love is just a great way to end a cathartic album .

Edited by yensid

Wow, know this is old, but I just watched many of my faves get slagged LOL.

Since it's already bumped up, hmm... hard to pinpoint one least favourite, but here are the ones most people seem to love that I could live without hearing for years:

Blue Skies Over Badlands (it's just... not that good compared to the rest of that album and I'd take nearly every song on WLRRR over it live, please)

The Rat Who Would Be King

Tiger by the Tail (it's basically Cold Water with lesser lyrics)

I didn't consider interludes or demos in my thought process because an interlude is just that - it's not a song, per se. Radio Bomb is probably the closest to a full-on "no thank you, next"? 

I know it's kind of a cliche, but Song For the Girl is rancid dick. Granted, music is subjective, so whatever. But the objective failure of the song is that its deleterious to Avalanche as an album, and that just exacerbates my contempt for the tune. The lyrics are hollow, the melody is uninspired, and it taints a record that would otherwise be, imo, a masterpiece. 

edit: i really just don't like this song.

Edited by OriginalSpecies
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, OriginalSpecies said:

I know it's kind of a cliche, but Song For the Girl is rancid dick. Granted, music is subjective, so whatever. But the objective failure of the song is that its deleterious to Avalanche as an album, and that just exacerbates my contempt for the tune. The lyrics are hollow, the melody is uninspired, and it taints a record that would otherwise be, imo, a masterpiece. 

edit: i really just don't like this song.

I have always felt the same way, I would add that I am also not a huge fan of double life and would always skip those two songs in a row

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, folk singer said:

I have always felt the same way, I would add that I am also not a huge fan of double life and would always skip those two songs in a row

Interesting, I really like Double Life, but Song For a Girl is song for the trashcan, I hate that song!  Not just because I'm a dude, it's just a bad song.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:56 PM, likeadeadstar said:

Tiger by the Tail (it's basically Cold Water with lesser lyrics)

I agree they're very similar. When Mark Hollis passed away in February I finally took the time to listen to some Talk Talk. Both of these songs sound musically and vocally inspired by 'New Grass' from Talk Talk's '91 record Laughing Stock. I think there's little chance they aren't, given the similarities. They're all beautiful pieces in their own right, easily top third of Matt's catalogue in my opinion.