ncguitarplyr

Least Favorite Matthew Good Song

I'm going to have to go with Every Name Is My Name.  I always skip it.  I never listen to it.  I've forced myself a few times to listen to it and it's just ... I can't.  :)   On the flip side, coming out in purple is hilarious but also a very horrible song.

Song for the Girl, even though it pops in my head once and awhile of its own accord.

WLRRR is actually one of my favourite records, period. But I do share the sentiment of others here on the board that Little Terror is not a great song.

99% of Us is Failure

I'm a Window

Last Parade

Zero Orchestra

The last two records (Arrows and Chaotic) have been phenomenal in my opinion, the only tracks from each that don't blow my mind being Letters in Wartime and All You Sons and Daughters.

I love everything on Last of the Ghetto Astronauts. It reminds me of college...I used to listen to it a lot back then...including Every Name is My Name!

Me too....LOTGA was the album I bought 3 years too late because in SK we had never heard of the Matthew Good Band. Our radio stations were too busy playing Alanis Morrisette and Joan Osborne :)

I think I've listened to Moon Over Marin like once. Otherwise I always skip it. 

I skip it too. There is something in there about toes squishing things or something and I just can't. 

I feel the same way. I don't hate anything really, but I don't have strong feelings for LOTGA. Like, I like everything else more.

ditto this.

As difficult as these questions often are when discussing an artist that you love, I usually use the good ol' "do I skip it more often than not" as an immediate qualifier.  And so, with that being said, the 'interlude' type songs like "I'm Not Safer Than A Bank", "21st Century Living" and "Girl Wedged Under The Front of s Firebird" are ones that immediately come to mind.

I love the diversity of Matt's albums since he went solo; we get to have really cool discussions about which parts of his work we're most drawn to. I was surprised to see how many people aren't that into WLRRR - it's one of my favourites.

There aren't any songs that I really dislike but agree with a few mentions already. My most frequently skipped are probably:

Song For The Girl

Little Terror

Kid Down The Well

Strange thing is, as badly as those songs stand up on their own, they are a good part of an excellent album, probably my favourite solo album. When I think of my favourite Matt Good songs, i don't think of any from Hospital Music, but it all works together so beautifully. It seems like many of my favourite artists have an album like that - 

Ginger - Market Harbour

Sloan - Never Hear the End of it

Devin Townsend - Ghost

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. 

Beatles - White Album

Yeah, I hear you there.  And it really is an amazing album.  Like I said, it was really a matter of splitting hairs. 

For what it's worth, my favorite album is by far Lights and I think that there isn't a second wasted on that record.  I can't even say that about Avalanche...(always skip 21st century living).

I don't think I'm outright offended by any of his songs, though a bunch of them are relegated to filler in my mind. Or I am reminded of their existence when I listen to a particular album.

So Close, though, is pretty awful. Heard that again recently and wished it wasn't the sore thumb on such a fabulous album. It's boring, which is the worst musical crime.

Edited by gweeps

cannot stand Alert Status Red or Born Losers.  Both are played wayyy too much live and  all too often both played at the same show.  Those are my only two complaints and I wish they would both get "the english f"  off of future setlists :)

I love so many of the songs that have been relegated to "skip button" on people's players, such as Change of Season, Song for The Girl, and all of White Light Rock'n Roll Review.  I actually have a tattoo of some Empty Road lyrics:  "Because this world's too old to hate you, And too young to give up spring", due to the manner in which these lyrics have pulled me and pushed me forward; coercing me into trying again when all I wanted to do was put on "Loser Anthems", pull the covers over my head and retreat...and then they dared me dream of a time when I could be happy with me, as is (and look...that's here, that's now).

The two songs that I hit the skip button on are Hello Time Bomb (though the video was inspirational to me for other reasons), and Load Me Up.  I find that both have been played so many times that I can't appreciate them the way I once did.  For awhile I couldn't listen to the Future is X-Rated, until out of the blue I found myself imagining a complex stage act reminiscent of all things Burlesque and it shifted in my brain...I encourage you to try it!

I don't think I'm outright offended by any of his songs, though a bunch of them are relegated to filler in my mind. Or I am reminded of their existence when I listen to a particular album.

So Close, though, is pretty awful. Heard that again recently and wished it wasn't the sore thumb on such a fabulous album. It's boring, which is the worst musical crime.

Read the lyrics for So Close, it's a very powerful song lyrically, I love it, but when I first heard it it was meh until I paid attention to the words.

I love so many of the songs that have been relegated to "skip button" on people's players, such as Change of Season, Song for The Girl, and all of White Light Rock'n Roll Review.  I actually have a tattoo of some Empty Road lyrics:  "Because this world's too old to hate you, And too young to give up spring"

Empty's Road is a beautiful song, especially lyrically.  That and Blue Skies for lyrics on WLRRR.

To me it feels like much of WLRRR, especially the last half & the clunkers, was written with the lyrics as the focus and a song built around that, instead of the other way around.  That's just the way I feel though I could be wrong.  Some great songs on that album but also quit a few I usually skip.

I love Matt's music and hoped if he saw the post he would at least chuckle too.  We live in crazy times so I like to lighten things up a bit.  I despise the song with all that is in me (as well as born losers) but I love every other song Matt has put out.  

To me when Born Losers starts up it reminds me of two cowboys gearing up for a duel.  I just can't get behind it.