trufflepigs

'old Fighters' (International Matthew Good Compilation Album)

seems redundant. didn't in a coma satisfy this requirement? i'd much rather have a remaster or vinyl release of the partial catalog. it seems like this album would be for the hardcore fans and therefore pretty unnecessary. a casual fan isn't necessarily going to go for a bunch of non-commercial or semi-obscure album tracks.

seems redundant. didn't in a coma satisfy this requirement? i'd much rather have a remaster or vinyl release of the partial catalog. it seems like this album would be for the hardcore fans and therefore pretty unnecessary. a casual fan isn't necessarily going to go for a bunch of non-commercial or semi-obscure album tracks.

This might help.

"As for the list of songs on the disc for foreign territories, I had complete control over the choices. Yes, i listened to some advice, so Strange Days is on there and i think the live version of Load Me Up. But so is Rabbits, Giant, Avalanche, Non Populus, etc. It's by no means reflective of In A Coma at all - which, with the exception of Rooms, and a way for people to get the Lo-Fi stuff, was a complete waste of time in my opinion."

http://www.nearfanta...post__p__402098

He's been known to shit on some of his old songs before. As he said in Life at Massey Hall, "You look back after 10 years and wonder, 'What the fuck was I thinking?'"

I kinda do the same thing with some of the songs that I've written. They just get to be so far behind you, like in a different part of your life, that you can't relate to them as much and then there's a disconnect.

Or Maybe Matt just thinks some of his songs suck? lol...I think that he truly does.

According to MG.org:

1) Strange Days

2) In a World Called Catastrophe

3) Weapon

4) Apparitions [Live]

5) Load Me Up [Live]

6) Born Losers

7) Last Parade

8) Zero Orchestra

9) The Future Is X-Rated

10) 21st Century Living

11) Giant

12) Avalanche

13) Suburbia

14) While We Were Hunting Rabbits

While I understand that it's moreso for markets that can't get these songs, it seems like there was some missed oppourtunity on this release. There are a handful of songs I would love to see released on physical CD sometime (as I prefer the sound quality)

Can't Get Shot In The Back (Hospital Music B-side)

Silent Army In The Trees (Live Acoustic from Massey Hall)

Black Helicopter (Live Acoustic from MAssey Hall)

Darlin' (Lights Of Endangered Species B-side)

Of course there are many other great B-sides I would love to see released, but it seems like these would've been a fairly straightforward addition due to their current availability.

I think in this case, they want this to be a single catch-all release for people to get acquainted with Matt, not something for existing MG fans in other countries. In a Coma doesn't really fit that role, given the extra focus on MGB and the lack of post-2005 material. Honestly, if the idea is to introduce Matt, this doesn't feel like the right release for those b-sides. (And I say that as someone who loves those solo acoustic Massey tracks - particularly "99% of Us Is Failure", which was the Vancouver iTunes pre-order bonus.)

And, now that I look at the tracklist again, something must have happened after Matt mentioned those possible tracks. Matt suggested that "Non Populus" would be on there, and it isn't. (I wish it were, though I'll admit to preferring the live version from the Kitchener boot to the album version.)

I do think it's odd that "21st Century Living" is on there. I like that song, and it's unique in Matt's catalog, but the whole Super-Size thing feels a bit dated now - McDonald's got rid of it in 2004, and most fast food places (at least down here) only go so far as having a combo. (It made me wonder if they swapped "Non Populus" with something shorter, and had three-odd minutes left. Though, if that were the case, I probably would have gone with "Hopeless", if only for the bonus FU to Universal.)

According to MG.org:

1) Strange Days

2) In a World Called Catastrophe

3) Weapon

4) Apparitions [Live]

5) Load Me Up [Live]

6) Born Losers

7) Last Parade

8) Zero Orchestra

9) The Future Is X-Rated

10) 21st Century Living

11) Giant

12) Avalanche

13) Suburbia

14) While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Suburbia (y)

I think in this case, they want this to be a single catch-all release for people to get acquainted with Matt, not something for existing MG fans in other countries.

If that's the case, where the heck is Hello Time Bomb?? Isn't that his biggest international hit? :huh:

But regardless, Suburbia's on there, soooo... it's got my Seal of Approval ;)

Come to think of it, you know that Matt is just sitting on that solo acoustic show recording from Massey Hall. Will it ever see the light of day? Let's hope he desperatly tries to get out of a record contract by pumping out extraneous releases such as that haha.

And for the love of all things holy, I Wish I Was A Tidal Wave needs to be released. Wishful thinking, I guess.

MAN the man, thank you so much

i forgot all about that one, but "if i were a tidal wave" and "can't get shot in the back if you don't run" are probably my favourite ever, of his

even if he just released the demos, as i remember them as bonus tracks or something on a future release, i'd be eccstatic

I live in Germany and I've asked big record stores over here if they have anything by Matthew Good and it amazes me, really. Nada. They keep looking at the computer screen when they look for him and they only find things by Matthew Good Band and all those CDs aren't available either, so yes I think it's a good thing to release something in Europe. People need to be aware of MG over here, hardly anyone knows him here and that really annoys me, because frankly they are missing out on something truly amazing. Sure, you can grab some albums on iTunes, but I'd really like to buy a physical CD.

The tracklisting of the compilation seems very promising, allthough I really don't get what 21st Century is doing there. Seems more like a fun experiment that fits well somewhere on an album like it did on Avalanche, but maybe that's just me....

I can only imagine the frustration of not being able to get the physical copies in your location. I had this discussion with a friend, and while he prefers vinyl over CD's we both agreed that having the music in an actual physical copy with the general tactile experience of flipping through your selection can not be replicated. It has a charachter to it that grows. I know all the jewel cases of my most listened to albums have had the cover tabs broken off from being dropped far too much, haha.

DeadArtists, I agree the tracklisting looks promising. I am glad to see that you will have a chance to get a good cross-section of his work. I always liked 21st Century Living. First concert I ever saw was his show at The Kool Haus in Toronto in support of Avalanche and I quite enjoyed and remember the version that was played that night. Of course I can no longer recall what it is he specifically said to replace the "ambitious supersizing" dialogue but I know it was just some random rant and he was on fire. I remember there being photos from the show on the secret "special card with access code when you buy the CD" Avalanche site. I wonder if it's still online? Hahah. I enjoyed the "Near Fantastica" edited version that was offered for download, I think it clocked in at about 4:30 or something. Would've been an interesting addition to this compilation.

I think Old Figters is a great way to take care of the lack availability of MG overseas. I figure if this is getting international release, the new album also will wherever there is enough interest, so there is that to look forward to for everyone without access to the back catalogue. I have a feeling that it is going to be an "A-game" release.

Aaaaand truthfully, since it doesn't seem like it is being released in Canada, having a hard to get track on it that I couldn't get in a physical copy in would drive me nuts, haha!

Edited by THE MAN