Outtahere

New Single Out This Month!

Matt said so on his Facebook page! Where he discusses the mock-up of the new album artwork!

Ha, I'm actually the one who got him to confirm that. Glad to hear things are still on track.

It sounds like it's two singles at once. Here is the track listing (taken from http://exclaim.ca/News/matthew_good_returns_with_new_solo_album_canadian_summer_dates):

Arrows of Desire:

1. Arrows of Desire

2. Via Dolorosa

3. Had It Coming

4. We're Long Gone

5. So Close

6. Garden of Knives

7. Mutineering

8. Hey Hell Heaven

9. Guns of Carolina

10. Letters in Wartime

September 24th release date.

• Upvote 1

What do they mean by extended single? Is "We're Long Gone" a b-side or are they releasing 2 singles at once?

I think "extended single" is a newer term to describe a single release that has more than just the one song. The advent of digital outlets made one-song single releases very common, which wasn't the case previously.

I am curious to hear Via Dolorosa, the comment in the press release was funny. From those clips we heard it seems like there should be a good cross-section of post MGB work with a renewed kick. Although considering the nature of LOES, he could have easily written some of these songs over the last few years, but they didn't "fit" with the album.

Already more pumped for this than the new QOTSA, haha.

Edited by THE MAN

New QOTSA sucks so that's no surprise. It's boring and bland.

I think we're in for some more 'different' Matthew Good with this one. That's just the impression I get from the song titles. Also, a double single release at the same time? That's kind of odd. I hope this one has more of the MG vocal style and more vocals we're familiar with in the mix than LOES.

Has Matt said anything recently about a music video? I think at one point many months ago he mentioned that a video might happen for this album but I can't quite remember.

Edited by IamNick

Some help with these lyrics please:

You walk like I thought you'd walk

You talk like I thought you'd talk

Broken glass, lips to ass

The stars up in the sky

I'm like that one about a priest

Who walks in a bar, orders a drink

and then [??]

Savage company (we'll smile) [??]

... why heaven's me [??]

I never thought I'd see the day

I had it coming

Well I had it coming

You work a job

You hate your job

You go home and you wonder

What am I going to do about my job?

It pays my bills

The bills add up

So you go to bed and dream

You wake up hungover on a beach

In the sunshine and you walk into the sea like nothing's ever been here

Wade into the sea until you can feel the planet hum again [??]

Sink into the sea and find out that you can breathe there [??]

Sink into the sea and find out that [??]

You've had it coming

Well you've had it coming

We've had it coming

Well we've had it coming

Wow missed that, thanks.

e: For lazy people

Had It Coming

Well you walk like I thought you'd walk

And you talk like I thought you'd talk

Broken glass, lips to ass, the stars up in the sky

I'm like that one about a priest who walks in bar, orders a drink

And then finds God all in savage company

Well smile

Cruelty free, well heavens me, I never thought I'd see the day

I've had it coming

Well you work a job, you hate your job

You go home and you wonder

“What am I going to do about my job?

It pays the bills, the bills add up”

So you go to bed and dream

You wake up hung over on a beach in the sunshine

And you walk into the sea like nothing's ever been

Yeah you wade into the sea until you can feel the planet humming

Yeah you sink into the sea and find out that you can breathe

Yeah you sink into the sea and find out at last

You've have it coming

We've had it coming

We're Long Gone

Got a playbook full of photographs

The coffin corner floor

Faces hit so out of place who's going to bother with the score?

We're long gone

Used to call you on the telephone when it was on the wall

Now we line up neat all down the street and rebel for twice as long

Well something's in a hurry baby

Price fixing a storm

Watch it come but never run

Oh nobody has before

We're long gone

Ughh. I guess it had to happen eventually. The first time I have not been feeling a new MG song at all and am concerned about the new album. I fear the whole album will be very similar. The main problem: the vocal style. It's not Matthew Good. It sounds to me like he's forcing something that is not him. It reminds me of Pixies and they have some decent stuff but it's not something I want to hear from MG. I wanted some more sincere sounding, passionate, famililar MG singing of old. I was hoping for more of that after LOES lacked in that department. It sounds closest to White Light vocally, but that worked for MG somehow and was still different, this doesn't in my opinion. Also, coming after just having done a different style album makes it worse. It would be better if it came after a more familiar style album as something different.

The chorus isn't bad at all on Had it Coming and We're Long Gone is better I think, but it really did next to nothing for me on first couple listens and I have a hard time imagining this growing on me. Maybe I'm blowing things out of proportion based on one song essentially, but I really expect the rest to be quite similar. I will say it is nice to hear more upbeat stuff from him and the video is cool.

I think I'm taking the song too seriously. Someone mentioned it being like a modernized version of Coming Out in Purple, a goofy MG song that I actually quite like. I've listened to this a few more times and I can kind of hear that comparison. The music in the verses of Had It Coming is kind of unconventional and MG's vocals coupled with that is actually starting to sound kind of fun and enjoyable to me. It sounds like he loosened up and really had fun with this album which is nice to hear regardless if it floats my boat or not. And this is only one/two songs. There could be a surprising amount of variety on this album. I don't really know why I would assume it will all sound like this song. I'm glad he took the risk and changed it up yet again and created a sort of new rock sound for him. I am a fan of him going more up-tempo. I like the bass in Had It Coming, the chorus is quite catchy and the solo is nice. We're Long Gone has some nice keys and is pretty catchy and enjoyable. Weird how perspectives can change with music so quickly sometimes.