Outtahere

New Single Out This Month!

I myself have known for a long time now that I don't like Matthew Good tunes the first time I hear them, hell... I hated "Champions of nothing" first listen, but now its one of my top three MG songs. Its hard to explain this phenomenon, but its real and it doesn't make us any less of a fan than those that love MG tunes right away.

Last night at Midnight, I wasn't feeling the latest single "had it coming", but after about 3 trys... I was really digging it. I really like the lyrics, but still not crazy about the rap style in which they are sang. What I really love about "had it coming" was the variation in the corus (I've, you've, and we've), and of course that kick ass guitar work towards the end.

I was always convinced that after LOES, we were due for a more radio friendly album. In the past I wanted great MG radio music so that my teasing friends would understand my obsession.... but sometime after Avalanche and throughout his solo career... I didn't give a fuck what people thought about MG music anymore. I just knew that I loved it.

This new single might be the Rico,Time Bomb, or Alert Status Red for casual fans, but one thing for sure about Matt Good's albums is... there will always be room for a couple of Near Fantastica, Champions of Nothing, and Shallows Low for us full time fans to latch on too.

Edited by Young Grasshopper

Ughh. I guess it had to happen eventually. The first time I have not been feeling a new MG song at all and am concerned about the new album. I fear the whole album will be very similar. The main problem: the vocal style. It's not Matthew Good. It sounds to me like he's forcing something that is not him. It reminds me of Pixies and they have some decent stuff but it's not something I want to hear from MG. I wanted some more sincere sounding, passionate, famililar MG singing of old. I was hoping for more of that after LOES lacked in that department. It sounds closest to White Light vocally, but that worked for MG somehow and was still different, this doesn't in my opinion. Also, coming after just having done a different style album makes it worse. It would be better if it came after a more familiar style album as something different.

The chorus isn't bad at all on Had it Coming and We're Long Gone is better I think, but it really did next to nothing for me on first couple listens and I have a hard time imagining this growing on me. Maybe I'm blowing things out of proportion based on one song essentially, but I really expect the rest to be quite similar. I will say it is nice to hear more upbeat stuff from him and the video is cool.

I agree with most of your post. I really hope this grows on me because quite frankly, I'm not feeling this one.

Alright, well this was interesting to say the least.

First "We're Long Gone" is great. Reminiscent of a mix between White LIght Rock 'n' Roll Review (minus the stripped off production).

"Had It Coming"... well.. I was a little thrown off at first. The music and chorus are great but, indeed, the "verses" are very strange. But it grew. It is a little similar to what he did with Coming Out In Purple (minus the weird sounds and the feeling of improvising the lyrics).

I actually enjoy this! Looking forward to hearing the rest. Especially that more heavy song we heard in the recording videos.

Really like Had It Coming. His vocals are less "lamb-y" (although that seems to bother others more than me) and overall has this almost summer-y feel to it. I'm fond!

New single is pretty good. People have to remember that this is the first single, therefore it's likely the most "radio-friendly" song on the record, and not indicative of the entire album. I like the extended version. Song(s) remind me of the more pop-ish songs from WLRRR and Vancouver, with LOES piano added. Great he has a video out, but I didn't really like it until I realized where he was walking too.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

He plays an acoustic version of Guns of Carolina at the end of this interview (starts at 12:39) https://soundcloud.c...alls-of-the-day

Sounds pretty good, looking forward to the studio version. Also note, in the interview he says Guns of Carolina is the 9th track, and the first ballad, so maybe expect a much more upbeat album this time around.

edit: he also says there will be a second single when the album comes out in september

Edited by IamNick

Guest girl

I didn't like the song after the first couple of listens, but once I saw the video I liked it. Cool video. They played the single on Calgary radio station X92.9 today.

Edited by girl

It's interesting that this single is like radio/anti-radio. The verses are kind of odd/unconventional but the chorus is very radio friendly. Yeah, I look forward to lots of more up-tempo stuff. No ballad until track 9, that's very different for him. I hope Guns of Carolina is not a completely acoustic song on the album. To be honest I find the one he played live rather boring.

Moonlight: Where was he walking to in the video?

Edited by Manchalivin

The Pixies influence he cited when first announcing this album is completely apparent in the first single. From that distinct bass line to his near spoken vocals during the verses. I dig it, but I really, really like what he's done on "We're Long Gone". That song is going to kick some serious ass live and it's great to hear live drumming back in the mix. Those fills just sound fantastic and give the song an increased sense of urgency and spirit.

As far as the instrumentation goes, personally, HIC is probably my favorite single I've heard from MG since Carmelina, which was the last one that really managed to snag me right off the bat and make me feel something incredibly positive. It's like History Teacher meets Audio of Being, which both meet White Light Rock and Roll Review, but in a good way (always felt WLRARR felt a little forced). After singles like In a Place of Lesser Men and Born Losers I've reminded myself that initial singles are usually hit and miss for me, and that I'll usually like the album more than I will the initial single (although Last Parade was an exception). With this, however, I caught myself unintentionally air drumming the second the chorus started and feeling highly surprised that I was getting that old feeling in the pit of my stomach I used to get when listening to new MGB.

Same goes for the lyrics and vocal delivery. Normally with MG lyrics I never expect the mood of the instrumentation to match the mood of the lyrics (In a World Called Catastrophie, anyone?) but with this one both are surprisingly upbeat. Love the lyrics about walking into the sea and finding out you can breath which is why I also love the delivery. Very unconventional (as other have noted it's very "Pixie"ish), but in a good way since the "off the cusp as fast as you can" style seems to match the mood of the lyrics.

We're Long Gone is great as well for me. Wicked energy coming from the guitar and drums, which is layed and synced perfectly by the piano. It actually reminds me of Anti-Pop and 4 Minute Mile (and I don't say that as a bad thing since I know Matt hates Anti-Pop).

Now, the video for Had It Coming on the other hand...

Edited by daniel_v

The single makes me think White Light Rock & Roll Review mixed with Vancouver. And some Coming Out in Purple.

joeposh: Wasn't there live drumming done on the last couple albums as well? I thought Blake or someone had played the drums when the albums were recorded?

Edited by Manchalivin

I don't know what my opinion will be in a week, a month, or a year, but right now I enjoy Had It Coming. However, I wish the songs were longer. I don't know if I'm a fan of the two-songs-in-under-five-minutes thing, especially if they're back-to-back on the album.

Thanks for posting Matt, I hadn't put much thought into the lyrics yet but I'm definitely never going to see them the same way after reading your thought process behind them. Can't wait for the rest of the record.

We're Long Gone is great as well for me. Wicked energy coming from the guitar and drums, which is layed and synced perfectly by the piano. It actually reminds me of Anti-Pop and 4 Minute Mile (and I don't say that as a bad thing since I know Matt hates Anti-Pop).

I totally agree I hear 4 minute mile. Actually I hear many shades of the Enjoy The Silence cover as well.

Pretty awesome that Matt posted here as well! Hahaha most artists tend to avoid the fan forums like the plague, and understandable since they are usually full of cretins and trolls, hahaha.

I've always enjoyed the idea of the "extended Single" two songs that just kinda run into each other. I really enjoy the songs tempo and punch!

by the way It's Heartbreaker/Living Lovin' Maid that Zeppelin run together.

Gomo, have you not listened to the single?

By the way, that's awesome that you post on here Mr. Good. Thanks a lot that you take the time and effort out to post on silly forums. It's very interesting to hear it from you about your songs and lyrics. My immediate first impression was that this song would be more negative, based on the title. After reading that it's positive I think it makes me enjoy the song more.