raygunner

New Fall Us And Canadian Tour Announced

Hopefully so. I wasn't decided yet whether I would make it up to buffalo (my hometown) from Texas for it, but I just might.

I would if I were you. I was so looking forward to this concert. Acoustic is really good but live band is the best to me.

For those who don't read Facebook:

Due to financial constraints, we find ourselves in the highly regrettable position of having to announce the cancellation of the American portion of the 2013 tour with the exception of the show at The Rapids Theatre in Buffalo, New York.(please note, the date has been changed to Oct 26 2013.)

Given the ever-changing, volatile nature of the industry, a portion of the funding required for the US part of the tour did not materialize as expected. Without that funding Matthew would be forced to lose a considerable amount of personal income, something that I will not allow to happen given his personal financial responsibilities at home.

On behalf of Matthew and myself, I want American fans and promoters to know that had we foreseen this we would have never announced the US portion of the tour, let alone put tickets on sale. It is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement, and want to concisely convey that when Matthew was made aware of the situation he diligently attempted to work the problem to try and make the shows happen. Unfortunately, we were not able to find a solution.

Again, on behalf of both of us, our sincerest apologies. All tickets can be refunded at their point of purchase.

Respectfully, Bernie Breen, Manager.

Hate to say it - this was not unexpected. (At least not to me.)

The only way the US tour ever made sense (especially as a full-band tour) was if Matt's label was footing some percentage of the bill. Historically, that's typical for labels trying to break acts - label funding makes the tour possible. That his label hadn't put the single onto iTunes was the first huge red flag. They clearly didn't/don't have a strategy for breaking Matt in the US - getting a single onto iTunes is a trivial way to start. Breaking him in the US and UK felt like a major part of his signing with them, and I hope (assume) he's already read them the riot act for this.

I can already hear them complaining that Old Fighters didn't sell enough to "justify" more funding - and that since it was "just released", it's too early for a new album release. Considering they didn't do any real promo for it...

(Those are the kinds of things I've heard labels tell bands. A friend of mine was told by his label that if his album sold x number of copies in Dallas over one weekend, they'd fund a music video and a tour. It was nonsense - they knew in advance that it wasn't going to sell x. He still believes them and blames file-sharing for the failure.)

I really hate this for Matt. The last two US tours were on his dime - essentially building up to what would hopefully be a big push this go around. (That would pretty much be why they stuck to the same cities as the last tours.) And, unless his label has a major change of heart (maybe in the spring), I'm worried this may be the end of the road as far as US shows (beyond border cities and maybe NYC). I can't see any other way for the right circumstances to come together again to make it happen.

I think the only upside - it's far better that this happened now rather than two months from now.

Edited by uglyredhonda

So incredibly disappointed. I have to look into getting a refund now. If this tour were any other time of the year I'd consider flying to Canada, but I work at a school and Fall is very busy.

Shit.

Awwwww, that's a real bummer.

I have three opportunities this year. Yay! If you're from the States and want merch sold at the concerts, feel free give me a shout.

There also isn't a Victoria show scheduled for the fall right now, and Matt is playing the Rock the Shores festival in Victoria the day after Bluesfest. It's likely this is no coincidence. These shows very well could be added later (there is room for them on the schedule), but I'm not counting on it here in Victoria.

I'll be at Rock the Shores in a few weeks, I'm actually looking forward to seeing Matt play a high energy festival set (I've seen him in a theatre 3 times).

I've already bought tickets for Courtenay in the fall. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't see him again on the fall tour, but if I didn't buy tickets for a show right away, I would probably change my mind later and end up with bad seats haha.

For other people in Victoria who want to see the fall tour, if you can make the trip to Vancouver mid-week, I'm sure it will be worth it. Historically Matt has always pulled out all the stops in Vancouver. I've had the pleasure of seeing him there once and it was awesome.

Holy hell....if there is no Victoria show added for the regular tour I may actually shit the bed...I saw Courtenay and Nanaimo listed and figured if he goes there it is a huge waste to not do Vic too...now that the US dates got kyboshed I am really hoping a Vic date appears...haven't missed a tour of his since...the last (I assume) tour MGD was on in 2000....I opted out of Rock the Shores b/c I hate line ups and crowds (and sun....haha) with the hope he will be in Vic the end of Nov. FINGERS CROSSED!

anyone here who attended this show have their own review?

http://exclaim.ca/Re...oria_bc_july_13

Ugh - I know that kid....he is from Powell River and thinks he is some sort of musical expert now that is a Victoria resident...total ass...and that is crap journalism right there to prove it.

I am going to try to make it to the Buffalo show. I had tickets to Philadelphia and it was canceled. Buffalo is about a six-hour drive for me...and it's been years since I was there (almost 20). Anyone have any feedback or advice of where to stay and some things to see to make a day out of it. I know I am not far from Niagara Falls. I heard there was a cool place nearby where you can see the Toronto skyline from like 50 miles away across the water. Am I correct? Anyone ever been to this venue? Is it good? Small?

I don't drive so I'd have to fly to Buffalo, and that's Labor Day weekend and I'll probably be doing something else, so it sounds like going to another show this year is out. Oh well. At least I got the Acoustic show in April, but fuck, 4 out of 5 I've been to have been acoustic. Full band is pretty special and it sounds like if I ever want to see another one I'll have to be going to Canada to do it. At least next time I'll be able to plan accordingly. This time it was just a cluster fuck.

Edited by Gomo

I am going to try to make it to the Buffalo show. I had tickets to Philadelphia and it was canceled. Buffalo is about a six-hour drive for me...and it's been years since I was there (almost 20). Anyone have any feedback or advice of where to stay and some things to see to make a day out of it. I know I am not far from Niagara Falls. I heard there was a cool place nearby where you can see the Toronto skyline from like 50 miles away across the water. Am I correct? Anyone ever been to this venue? Is it good? Small?

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same place they do the free concerts on Thursdays, outside at the harbour (so not very small). I went once last summer while I was in town and was amazed at how well they've developed that area. Buffalo is my hometown, but I don't make it back as much as I used to. Usually an mg show is involved in the planning. As far as things to do, there is always Niagara Falls if you've never been, US or Canadian side and if you go up into Niagara on the Lake there is a pretty decent wine trail if you are into that. If you stick around Buffalo, get yourself a steak andwich at The Old Pink, they are off the charts. Plenty of good divey type bars in Allentown.

MG will be taking part in a concert for flood relief in Calgary.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ef-concert.html

The show will be at McMahon Stadium and you can find out how to get tickets through our concert listings.

Telus will be livestreaming the AB Flood Aid concert on their YouTube channel on August 15th at 6 pm MST:

http://www.youtube.com/telus

Sorry, one last post...

It will be 28 degrees celcius on Thursday. YES!! Don't forget your sunscreen.

What an awesome venue to have it at. It will probably have the same great vibes and atmosphere as The Police concert that I attended at the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Great memories!

Oops, I lied. One more post. I can't resist...

You can see the concert on these TV channels as well:

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Aug. 13, 2013) - The Alberta Flood Aid organization is pleased to announce that the Alberta Flood Aid benefit concert taking place at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Thursday, August 15th will be broadcast and webcast live, commercial-free starting at 6pm MT (8pm ET) across Canada and around the world.

The star-studded 4 hour program, hosted by Brent Butt, can be seen live on the following outlets:

• Omni Alberta Shaw Channels 4 (SD) and 214 (HD) (Calgary)
  • Omni Alberta Shaw Channels 11 (SD) and 214 (HD) (Edmonton)
  • Omni Alberta Telus Optik Channel 5 (SD) (Calgary and Edmonton)
  • TELUS Optik TV channels 675 (HD) and 135 (SD)
  • TELUS Satellite TV channels 832 (HD) and 399 (SD)
  • TELUS Optik TV channels 997 (HD) and 9997 (SD) (Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge)
  • Bell Satellite channels 832 (HD) and 399 (SD) (National)
  • Bell Fibe channels 993 (HD) and 994 (SD)
  • SaskTel maxTV channels 605 (HD) and 602 (SD)
  • MTS TV channels 801 (SD) and 1801 (HD)
  • Access Communications (Regina and area)
  • Rogers Digital Cable channel 1 (Rogers Digital TV customers in ON, NB and NL)
  • Rogers TV channels 369 (HD) and 368 (SD) (Ontario only)

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/alberta-flood-aid-concert-broadcast-and-webcast-details-announced-1820661.htm

http://abfloodaid.ca/

I am guessing it will be on youtube within a day or two with the amount of people who have access to this on tv we should get perfect quality videos some probably ripped to audio as well. Hoping for a great setlist