raygunner

New Fall Us And Canadian Tour Announced

The one-way rental kills you every time. There's really no good way around it. (One thought: I wonder if you could do that trip via rail.)

For the drive itself, I think Riley's on the right track - I feel like that gap between Thunder Bay and Saskatoon would be more like driving cross-country through Nebraska or Kansas - I've heard it's boring as hell. If it weren't November, I'd suggest starting in Edmonton and ending up in BC (though that still might be a better plan) - there's a lot more interesting stuff to see on that drive.

For me, the real hit and miss of the cross-country tour is the weather. Not snow, necessarily (depending on the region), but the temperatures start to drop pretty sharply as you get into November. Some of those drives might be a little unpleasant.

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, since it's not quite as glorious a trip (and it sounds like you might have done some of this before), but if you're looking to do this on the cheap(er), I'd suggest doing an Ontario sweep the last week of October. Use Buffalo as your starting and ending point (the car rental and flights would be much, much cheaper) and do Barrie, Kitchener, London, and Toronto. (Maybe Montreal if you want one long drive in the mix. If you did Montreal, you could see how the rates to Rochester or Syracuse are and potentially use that as your starting point - but Buffalo would probably still be the winner.) Or even just Toronto/Montreal - that'd make for a pretty great long weekend. (I'm doing something similar the week before - Kingston/Hamilton. I'd love to have been able to do Kitchener/Toronto, but I couldn't do that long mid-week.)

Reading this again, I just gotta say, that night was AWESOME. We had great seats, Massey is awesome, ending with "Fake Empire"... so good. :D

Thanks for taking time to respond, RileyLewis and uglyredhonda. Much appreciated! I did lots of researching, and couldn't find a way around the crazy costs for one-way rental cars. So, whereas the original plan was more of a cross country route, I really had no choice but to keep the start and end point the same.

Love the Ontario tips, uglyredhonda, but unfortunately October is a busy month, so my trip needs to be in November. That said, I booked flights to Calgary last night. My plan is to spend a few days exploring the Canadian Rockies (fingers crossed for managable weather), then drive east to the Medicine Hat show (bought tickets), maybe hit Edmonton the next day (still TBD) and wrap it up with the Calgary show on Nov. 15 (hooked up the VIP tickets). Fly home to North Carolina the next day.

Would ideally like to hit more provinces, but given costs and the time of year, sticking to Alberta is probably the best way for me to go. Solo trip, so that'll be interesting, but memorable for sure. Pretty excited. Thank you again.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for taking time to respond, RileyLewis and uglyredhonda. Much appreciated! I did lots of researching, and couldn't find a way around the crazy costs for one-way rental cars. So, whereas the original plan was more of a cross country route, I really had no choice but to keep the start and end point the same.

Love the Ontario tips, uglyredhonda, but unfortunately October is a busy month, so my trip needs to be in November. That said, I booked flights to Calgary last night. My plan is to spend a few days exploring the Canadian Rockies (fingers crossed for managable weather), then drive east to the Medicine Hat show (bought tickets), maybe hit Edmonton the next day (still TBD) and wrap it up with the Calgary show on Nov. 15 (hooked up the VIP tickets). Fly home to North Carolina the next day.

Would ideally like to hit more provinces, but given costs and the time of year, sticking to Alberta is probably the best way for me to go. Solo trip, so that'll be interesting, but memorable for sure. Pretty excited. Thank you again.

Sounds good! Hopefully there's someone here you can meet up with at one of the shows. If you were going to Regina or Saskatoon then I would have!

It's unfortunate that it will be in the winter (gonna be cold and snowy!), but as long as it's a clear couple of days then visiting the mountains should be nice. And driving on the prairies in Canada is really easy, too, so the trips should be simple (totally unlike the US east, it's basically just big cities separated by hundreds to thousands of kilometers of open sky).

Bring a warm jacket!

My plan is to spend a few days exploring the Canadian Rockies (fingers crossed for managable weather), then drive east to the Medicine Hat show (bought tickets), maybe hit Edmonton the next day (still TBD) and wrap it up with the Calgary show on Nov. 15 (hooked up the VIP tickets). Fly home to North Carolina the next day.

Sounds like a fun trip. You will love the Jack Singer Concert Hall in Calgary. The acoustics in the venue are wonderful.

Matthew Good

The live band version of Rabbits has turned out awesome. Near Fantastica – not so much. It’s one of those tough decisions that you have to ultimately make as time winds down, but it’s just not cutting it.

Gee so glad the US tour was canceled! :|

The show I bought tickets for would have been this Thursday...sigh.

Edited by Gomo

I think my favourite live song of his ever performed is this one:

I just love this interpretation of it, and the new stuff he added to it. I've always hoped he'd bring back something similar for a new tour!

I totally agree. That version of Symbolistic White Walls is amazing! The person who posted that audio also posted all the songs from that show, and all the other songs have around 500-2000 views each (a couple have 3000), while that Symbolistic White Walls track has 14,000 views. Obviously a ton of fans agree with us.

Matt, please bring this version back live!

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

I'm rather excited - I missed Matt when he came here for FredRock.. so the last time I saw him was.. what? 2008 or 2009 when he was doing the acoustic tour. I've never had the chance due to age or whatever else to actually see him electric in person, and I'm going to the 17th show here in Fredericton.

Any word on a playlist?

I'm rather excited - I missed Matt when he came here for FredRock.. so the last time I saw him was.. what? 2008 or 2009 when he was doing the acoustic tour. I've never had the chance due to age or whatever else to actually see him electric in person, and I'm going to the 17th show here in Fredericton.

Any word on a playlist?

Hello Timebomb

Weapon

Rico

Jenny

Rico

Indestructible

Rico

Rabbits

Born Losers

--

Giant

Rico

Rico

Or so I've heard. :P

From the Facebook page:

We were all sitting outside at the end of rehearsal today and from inside could hear our sound engineer playing Mutineering over the PA. Someone opened the door and we could tell there was something slightly different about it, so intrigued we went inside. At first, we thought he was playing the record, and then realized that he’d recorded us on the pro-tools rig he’s bringing out and it was actually us rehearsing the song.

I’m looking into the matter this afternoon and evening – and probably over the next few days – but if I can do it, the web platform that I use for my official site allows me to offer music for purchase download by the song. If everything works out, I plan to have mixed – but totally unedited – songs taken from various cities during the tour available on the site for fans to get.

Here’s hoping all the legal mumbo doesn’t get in the freaking way of it!

From the Facebook page:

We were all sitting outside at the end of rehearsal today and from inside could hear our sound engineer playing Mutineering over the PA. Someone opened the door and we could tell there was something slightly different about it, so intrigued we went inside. At first, we thought he was playing the record, and then realized that he’d recorded us on the pro-tools rig he’s bringing out and it was actually us rehearsing the song.

I’m looking into the matter this afternoon and evening – and probably over the next few days – but if I can do it, the web platform that I use for my official site allows me to offer music for purchase download by the song. If everything works out, I plan to have mixed – but totally unedited – songs taken from various cities during the tour available on the site for fans to get.

Here’s hoping all the legal mumbo doesn’t get in the freaking way of it!

I'm super excited about the prospect of this, particularly where there's no show in my city this tour.

I'm seeing him 1-3 times by sunday. I'm so pumped. it reminds me of "new mexico song" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33pis-u819w - the first one - for some reason. good music hahaha? I haven't bought arrows of desire yet, just so I could buy it from his merch booth / he'd get the greatest cut, possible