chadmann

Avalanche Tour 10 Years Later...

With the ten year anniversary of "Avalanche" (call me nostalgic), I am trying to piece together any downloads, demos, live recordings, bootlegs, etc. as that still remains my favorite Matthew Good album. Any titles of the aforementioned media that are or once were available would be greatly appreciated. Any links to video from that tour would also be greatly appreciated. I wish Good had put together a 10 year anniversary edition of Avalanche with DVD, demos, etc. like Interpol did for "Turn on the Bright Lights." So much for wishing...

Edited by chadmann

I remember back in 2003 that the demo to Pledge of Alliegance, Weapon, In a World Called Catastrophe and I believe Double Life and Song for The Girl leaked. Wonder if any one still has any of those. They were obviously very lo-fi, the drumming was done with a drum machine or a keyboard and they were recorded by both Matt and Rich.

There's of course the obvious Comfortable Criminals that was streamed through the secret website houseofsmokeandmirrors.com at the time. The song was scrapped from the record but the drums were sampled and used for what would later become It's a Long Way Down.

I'd also like to hear Villain of the Year from which the lyrics were scrapped and it became Near Fantastica.

As for info (because there's always some additionnal informaiton thrown into these type of releases) there's Near Fantastica (Radio Edit) that was supposed to be the record version but then Matt played around with it, mixed in the acoustic guitar from the demo and made a remix which became the album version.

Same with Lullaby For The New World Order. The original version was what is now called the "acoustic version" with only a guitar and strings and Matt had to go back with Rich and Pat to add drums and bass after Universal complained about it (I believe they wanted more singles on the record and they wanted to use that song).

There was a video planned (not sure if it was shot though) for Near Fantastica but scrapped after Universal pretty much dropped that record months after its release and no other marketing was made.

Matt wrote the song Avalanche while him and Rich wanted to write a very lenghty song. I think they were trying to measure up to a song they enjoyed but I can't remember which one.

The sample in Avalanche is from a movie called "There's Only One Jimmy Grimble" and funnily enough, in the movie, the "Get out!" bit come right BEFORE Jimmy Gimble says the "Every pass it goes adrift, every ball loose, can't tackle can't shoot" bit and not after like it is in the song.

The record was rumoured to be called House of Smoke and Mirrors after matthewgoodband.com used that title for one of its sections.

Pat recorded the drums by listening to the demos in his earphones.

That's all the info I remember from the top of my head. If there's more I'll let you guys know ;)

Edited by Tips

Thank you. I have watched both of these. Good stuff. hoping to piece together some collections of live performances. Found two so far: A bootleg on Youtube at the Metropolis and a bootleg of a show in Hamilton.

Thank you for the additional info! That's what I am looking for, Hopefully I can track down DLs of those demos. I occasionally post on Matt's Facebook that I wish he would follow Fugazi's idea and make available cheap downloads of all the recorded live performances that may have been made over the years. Maybe donate the proceeds to a charity of his choice. The Fugazi live project is very cool and I think there are over 800 live performances that have been recorded and several hundred are currently available to DL.

Live at The Kool Haus in Toronto for the Avalanche tour. First concert I ever saw, EVER. Can't be beat.

Thought the album was kinda meh, at first. Hahaha. I was a huge Underdogs fan boy though. I didn't even really play music at the time but I could already tell I missed Ian Browne on drums. That guy is stellar.

Now I look back and realize how great of an album it is. Stellar production. It really sounds like it was recorded analog. That snare drum is just so warm and full sounding. I would love to hear an interview with Warne Livesey Talking about the making of it.

I think it is actually a great slice of Matt's guitar playing. Really creative guitar bits and tones all over the album.

il have to check but I know I have the demos and the following 03 shows 4-11 Toronto, 4-12 Hamilton, 4-19 Vancouver, 7-16 Saint catherines, 8-22 Ottawa I thought I had more but I know for sure I have these ones. I don't think Matt has archives of his live shows as he once asked fans to email him with their bootlegs and non sounded good enough to release (if I recall correctly)

I occasionally post on Matt's Facebook that I wish he would follow Fugazi's idea and make available cheap downloads of all the recorded live performances that may have been made over the years. Maybe donate the proceeds to a charity of his choice. The Fugazi live project is very cool and I think there are over 800 live performances that have been recorded and several hundred are currently available to DL.

Yeah, some Tragically Hip fans did something similar to that as well. They made available some CDs of live Hip concert performances to fans for a small fee, and all the proceeds went to charity.

Much Music must have some of this stuff archived. I mean you got things like Snow Jobs 99 and that kinda thing. If you've ever seen the MGB Bio they ran around 2001 it contains footage of MGB playing live in the early days (Matt has blonde hair) and it shows several clips from a 2000 show in Nanaimo BC at the Port Theater. Maybe Matt Doesn't have this stuff, but someone does.

This post got me excited thinking there was an Avalanche celebration tour happening!

Our Lady Peace did a tour a few years ago where they celebrated 2 of their older albums, Clumsy and Spiritual Machines. In each location they did 2 nights of shows. On one night they played all of Clumsy, then there was an intermission and then a full second normal concert, and then they repeated the following night with Spiritual Machines. It was incredible, because there was no opening act, just 2.5 hours of them each night.

I would love for Matt to do something similar with Avalanche or any other album!

Edited by RileyLewis

If you've ever seen the MGB Bio they ran around 2001 it contains footage of MGB playing live in the early days (Matt has blonde hair) and it shows several clips from a 2000 show in Nanaimo BC at the Port Theater. Maybe Matt Doesn't have this stuff, but someone does.

I have that MGB Bio. I put it on youtube a long time ago but I kept getting in trouble, so I took it down.

Sorry Riley I didn't mean to disappoint. I just happened to pick up Interpol's 10th Anniversary release of "Turn on the Bright Lights" and I thought it would have been really cool if Good had done something similar. Lacking that I thought, I'd probe around and see what I could find from fellow fans. The "Live at the Metropolis" show that is available on Youtube has great sound and is the only high quality bootleg I have found so far. Additionally, does anyone know if Good ever played "Double Life" live? I love the big drum sound on that song. However, I have heard that was his least favorite song on the album??