Crusader

Live Road

I really like this performance of Alert Status Red. The bass sounds a lot different from the CD version and I think it sounds really cool. Who's with me?

The bass sounds like it could have been on Last of the Ghetto Astronauts. Anyone else hear that?

It sounds great, and adds a different vibe to it.

The bass sounds like it could have been on Last of the Ghetto Astronauts. Anyone else hear that?

I think in terms of the notes he's playing, it's practically identical to the album, but the sound of the bass is definitely different. I love Milos' tone. Having awesome old Ampeg heads/cabs certainly help with that.

Yes, I was thinking of LotGA as well. And perhaps 15 Hours on a September Thursday. There's also a keyboard/organ sound that reminds me of old MGB.

The more I listen to these LiveRoad recordings, the more I think they are awesome! I am really liking the subtle differences between the album and live versions in the new songs, particularly Had It Coming and We're Long Gone. They sound like they'd be really fun to hear live. Oh and of course the keyboard is incredible.

Also, is this a different lead guitarist than on the LOES tour? I remember thinking the lead guitar was kind of sloppy in a lot of those performances I heard from back then. Seems a lot tighter on this tour.

Edited by Gomo

Gomo, RileyLewis: Yeah it's the same guy. I do remember on the LOES tour him playing some part wrong on songs, notably Weapon (he missed the solo beginning of it in Montreal...) and the beginning of the solo for Non Populus on The Edge. But his performance got better and his playing on the record is great.

Matt was talking about this in recent interviews but he doesn't like the perfection aspect of rock nowadays. Maybe Jimmy's guitar playing represents that in a way: he's an awesome guitarist, jumps up and down, runs around the stage and sometimes he plays wrong but who cares as it is part of playing music anyway?

Anyway, I don't know his history and this is in no way bashing as he is very very good and pretty tight now and he's an excellent entertainer! You can see he's having a lot of fun!

Are you fucking kidding me?

I just went back and watched that Edge performance, and I would call it anything but sloppy. I caught the solo part that you're talking about, but wrong notes once in a blue moon are going to happen. Doesn't matter if it's Dave, Christian, Ryan Dahle, Stu, or Jimmy.

The guy is a fantastic guitarist, and he leaves a lot more up to improv. He's more of a shredder than Stu was for sure, but that's just a different playing style. It's been a tight band from the get go.

Stu had a really tight and polished sound. Relied a lot more up to pedals and delay. Sort of had The Edge's tone going for him. Nothing wrong with that. Jimmy is loose and rougher around the edges. Serves a lot more diversity to the songs and gives it a better live dynamic, IMO.

No me neither. But The Edge is ONE example of ONE song of all I've heard. Not saying he's not a great guitarist. I'm just saying that on the last tour he wasn't as tight as the other who have worked with Matt and that now he seems to be without leaving the improvisation freedom out.

Plus being able to play the way that he does and move the way that he does, he has to be an awesome guitarist!

Edited by Tips

Not trying to start some raging debate here. I was just making an observation.

I should note my expletives don't mean I'm raging out. My bad on that.

I just want to say again, thanks to MG and co. for doing this Live Road thing. I am enjoying it more and more. Guns of Carolina and Weapon have been posted now. Weapon is a really enjoyable live song in these last couple tours for me. Matthew's vocal performance here is fantastic, sounds as good as on CD in parts and maybe better in some ways. Guns of Carolina live sounds great as well. I like the different keyboard/organ sound live.

After he's done with Live Road we should have a sweet live compilation. It's like a second not-so-official live album. Cool.