Crusader

Live Road

It's good to hear Rabbits. The acoustic version was OK but did not make it justice. This full band version is better but there are two things that I don't like :

1- No acoustic guitar

2- The drum fill that Blake does.

The drum fill on the record always was, to me, sort of a soldier march (as it 'Until now I was a soldier'). But what Blake does is just a normal drum fill with a symbal crash at the end. I would have liked them to keep that soldier like drum fill. Plus Blake's got two floor tomtom's so it could have been done. But it's not my call so I'll just enjoy having a full band version (which, I want to be clear, is by no means not good!).

Also, is this a different lead guitarist than on the LOES tour? I remember thinking the lead guitar was kind of sloppy in a lot of those performances I heard from back then. Seems a lot tighter on this tour.

I agree. His playing is better on this tour. Last tour it was definitely sloppy at times.

It's pretty hard to match the album version. This (Rabbits) does not.

I agree. Matt says it's a hard song to sing, and I believe him, but his vocals are weak on the live track. Sounded better last tour.

Riley: Steel metal?

Shane: Not exactly. He goes from the highest tone to the lowest and ends with the cymbal. On the record, I believe the sound was done by timbales. But nevertheless there's a difference in the sound of it.

Tonally it's definitely different, but rhythmically it is incredibly close and drives the song the same way to my ear. It may very well been timbales on the record, but I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it was the full size timpani on the album. I could be wrong.

As long as we're butt hurt about the timpani hits, I'm a little sad that there's not the "dum dum" part after the original timpani fill. Crucial!

Yeah. That song may be full orchestra, but the song lives and dies on Matt's vocals and the percussion. Get the vocals somewhere near epic plus the thundering "da-da-da-da-dum-dum" percussion part, then throw in some acoustic guitar for the rest of the rhythm, and it's golden.

I agree. Matt says it's a hard song to sing, and I believe him, but his vocals are weak on the live track. Sounded better last tour.

In Matt's defense, given that he has been sick for some days, and possibly not feeling 100% during that show, expecting him to perform a song with the vocal ferociousness of WWWHR near 100% amazingness while possibly ill is not fair to him. Glad he's been playing i again this tour.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham