Crusader

Live Road

Awesome performance of Via Dolorosa. Sped up and pretty high energy, plus extended rocking. Mutineering was great too with an excellent vocal display.

The extended ending was beyond words. That is easily some of the most powerful work I have ever heard from him and any incarnation of MGB. Really wish he would do that more often with other songs too (and maybe just once on a studio track).

I am really enjoying the downloads and give props to Matt for giving back to his fans. Truly an awesome gift. The raw live tracks sound so much better to my ears than the Massey Hall Live album. I'm new to the Bored so maybe someone can fill me in why Matt avoids playing songs from the Audio of Being like the plague. Its such a great album - would love to hear Carmelina live.

Wow, Born to Kill live would be amazing. I never thought it would ever be played again so that would be an awesome treat.

I completely understand about all the tour stuff. Thank you so much Matthew for allowing us to download live songs for free and doing this whole thing.

Born to Kill would be great. Loved hearing that one back in the day.

I think it'd be awesome if you recorded the acoustic shows and released them. I remember tons of shows being bootlegged during the Nothing to Hide tour and it was great listening to the banter and stories (and songs, obviously).

Trust me, I’d LOVE to have 70 songs in the bag to choose from. I’d play tons off that record – Man Of Action, Tripoli, Under The Influence, Rat, etc. We’re currently trying to get Born To Kill together, and hopefully we can for at least one show. The problem is, and as I have explained in the past, I’m a solo artist. That means, because my players live in Toronto, I have to go there to rehearse, which means playing them for rehearsing, the space itself, hotel costs, food, travel, all of it. It adds up fast. Before you know it you’ve spent $20,000 dollars before the tour’s even started. Prior to this tour we rehearsed for only 6 days, because that’s what was budgeted. So I had to choose what was going to be in the rotation beforehand so everyone could be prepared. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve actually flirted with moving to Toronto, but it’s way too massive a life change – new schools, grandparents on the other side of the country, all of that.

No one hates it more than I do, trust me.

As for the vocals and stuff on Rabbits. It could have been because I was under the weather, it could just have been because I was having trouble pitching on that particular stage. We’ve taken a new approach on this tour with vocal mics to stop massive bleed through it. My amps are now muted (there’s foam in front of them) because they’re way too loud off stage (they’re Vox’s which means you have two knobs and gain is controlled by volume, so). Those two aspects have changed the dynamics of what I hear, and it changes in every venue. In the smaller clubs we’ve played I just have Blake’s symbals crashing through my mic when it’s open at 120DB. It can be hard to find pitch it the bass isn’t absolutely present. There is also the fact that the low vocals might be a bit muffed because the whole song’s been dropped an entire step from the recording.

We tried the timpani samples, but they sound like samples, which is lame. And yes, it was timpani on the album. Those are sort of hard to replace live. Blake and I discussed it and we would rather the groove be established that focus on those hits.

Question for everyone. Say I did an acoustic tour in the spring in some smaller venues and recorded each show, but instead of select song released every show in its entirety? Thoughts?

Hey Matt. First thanks for the LiveRoad stuff. It has been a nice treat, and some small consolation for the US tour getting nixed (I was so looking forward to the New York show as I always do). Knowing Born to Kill is being considered for an upcoming show is awesome, and it being included in LiveRoad would be even more amazing if you guys threw that together, but I didn't need to tell you that.

Second, thanks for explaining the mic situation. Very interesting.

Third, in regards to acoustic shows being released, I remember the Smashing Pumpkins recorded every single show on their anniversary tour in 2008. The shows were available for free download for those that attended these shows (I saw them in NY, so the night I went that download was free), but the other performances were available for purchase for those that did not attend those shows. I forget how they tracked this. The audio quality was pretty good, I would say similar to your LiveRoad stuff, but a few notches below your Live at Massey Hall album. Anyway, I have about 4 of those performances downloaded and I'm happy to have them. I think it definitely adds a great element to a tour, if it can be pulled off. Being someone that listens to bootlegs on occasion, and not minding the quality usually, I would be very excited to get some acoustic shows released in their entire form. Even if every single show wasn't released, I'm sure some fans would be satisfied with one. Hah, don't let me ruin it for everyone.

Edited by Gomo

I would definitely attend another acoustic show, and I think I speak for everyone who enjoys your music in saying that live recordings are fantastic to have. You want to know the #1 song I listen to of yours?

Symbolistic White Walls, performed in 2003. Judging from the views, it's also the one everyone else loves from that show, too! Your albums are great, but some songs just translate so well to live performances. And if bootleg recordings like the above video are so loved, and viewed tens of thousands of times, then official well-recorded tracks will be appreciated even more.

• Upvote 2

I'm all for entire live shows being released, especially an acoustic show. I attended the Nothing to Hide tour in 2007 and I loved the Massey Hall show, absolutely loved it. I adore the stripped down and raw, organic sound that the acoustic guitar brings, especially to re-interpretations/acoustic versions of album tracks such as the songs you did on the In A Coma CD. A full acoustic album would be fantastic as would a live concert DVD. Have you ever thought about recording a live DVD?

Acoustic tour + live recordings = bliss

Matt, I don't think you'd get any responses from users on here who wouldn't be excited about an acoustic tour. I was lucky enough to attend your acoustic tour in 2007, and as much as I've loved the other live shows of yours that I've attended, that acoustic show has by far been my favourite concert I've ever attended of any band. Especially considering the smaller venue, the level of intimacy just adds to the energy of show. And to couple that with recordings of each show? I'd gladly pay for those recordings if that's the road you choose to go down.

Trust me, I’d LOVE to have 70 songs in the bag to choose from. I’d play tons off that record – Man Of Action, Tripoli, Under The Influence, Rat, etc. We’re currently trying to get Born To Kill together, and hopefully we can for at least one show.

(...)

Question for everyone. Say I did an acoustic tour in the spring in some smaller venues and recorded each show, but instead of select song released every show in its entirety? Thoughts?

I think you guys have done especially well changing the order and variety of the setlists lately, averaging around 16 songs from a pool of 25. I think the new album is getting some great live exposure that it deserves and some of the older classics are still avoiding saturation. For example, you've just recently reintroduced Everything is Automatic for the first time this tour and we're around 20 shows in. Load Me Up is a staple, but The Future is X-Rated and Hello Time Bomb have only been added sparingly. I was curious what would happen with the short rehearsal time and I don't think you're disappointing. I was out in Ontario for one show and I thought the performance you put on rocked pretty hard and the band was excellent. I was going to start singling certain instruments out, but I can't because everyone is playing so well. Even changing the openers, closers, and adding in the occasional surprise when you have the time to rehearse in soundcheck is working well. If you pulled out Born to Kill at any of the three remaining shows I'm attending, my mind would probably explode.

Furthermore, I'd be up for any acoustic show. I made it down to Seattle last year and it ended up being one of the best nights of my life. If it's feasible, you should release the entire tour you're currently on. I'm not sure how you could make it happen, but everything has sounded great so far, and you're clearly not afraid to release unaltered live recordings. If you charged a nominal fee for a full show, we'd be ecstatic - any tour, I'm sure. What a great memento!

Matt I think we're all pretty sold to you playing live wether acoustically or not. So you can be damn sure that if you release whole shows it's a yay! ;)

One thing I do this is great is your setlist still changes regardless of the limited number of songs you can play with a band.

An acoustic tour would be great. To be honest, I'd buy tickets to any show you put on. The acoustic shows I've seen are amazing. Hearing some of the less common songs in that setting would be awesome.

As long as you're coming to London... :)

Matt,

I think the idea of releasing full shows is perfect for all of your fans. However I may differ from everyone else. I have to ask if this is something possible for your current tour? I have loved everything on Live road and on youtube and honestly think you have never sounded better. The band is on fire, the new songs are amazing and I would love to hear some full shows released with full band. I wouldnt even mind quality, I have a ton of your 2000,2001 shows that aren't the best qualiy but I love hearing them because it's literally all thats available. Acoustic shows would be great to hear and Id even donate $ to see i happen, but for some reason and maybe it's just due to acoustics it seems like more of your acoustic shows have been recorded and released when compared to full band material.

Whatever you decide to do will be great and I applaud you for staying with your family. Family is the number one thing.

1. I've been to quite a few of your shows since my first in 2008 (15 or so both acoustic and full band) and because you play so heavily on the new albums the setlist from one tour to the next is such a durastic change. I mean what 50% of this tours songs were not played last tour? how many other bands can say that? Yeah I'd love to hear some other stuff mixed in and we do get treated to that sometimes, last tour for two dates we got Running For Home which was something really special for me, just because I never ever thought I'd get to hear it live. Now this year Born to Kill is an option, and one that for fans could be released in good quality through Live Road is unbelievably exciting to me! After so many shows I there is still the element of surprise to your concerts and I love that.

2. I'm a huge fan of your acoustic shows, there is a spontaneity to them and a crowd interaction that make them something very unique. The Media Club secret show from a few years ago is one of my favourite shows I've ever seen from an artist and I've seen bands like The Who, Neil Young and Zeppelin. So an acoustic tour of Canada would be fantastic, I'd be at every show I could make it too in BC.

3. Recording those shows would be amazing, on your last acoustic US tour we went to the secret show in Vancouver, Seattle and Portland. And each show was a totally different experience, not just setlist or preformance was but also in how it was with the crowd, to be able to have entire shows available from such a tour would be amazing! Bands like The Who and Pearl Jam have done this for years and I've always bought some of my favourite shows from each year. But with you shows Matts, I'd be tempted to buy the whole set, just because of the differences between the shows and the fantastic amount of emotion and energy you put into each one.

Awesome ideas!

I've seen you perform countless times, and they're always great. Sure, when you go to as many shows as we've probably been to, the setlists can get a little tiresome, but that's ok. We're used to it. We know there are certain songs that will always remain staples in the set. It doesn't matter that much, especially for these last 2 tours, because it finally seems that you have a consistent band that thrives off each other. The energy is always up (I'm from Toronto so I'm lucky enough to go to the Toronto shows where it's considered a homecoming show for most of the guys) and that's what keeps me coming back. And I enjoy those staple songs as much as the next guy, with the exception of Apparitions because it ALWAYS gets played. It just doesn't have the same effect on me as it probably does for people hearing it the first time. But like I said, I get it. They've got to be there.

The acoustic shows are awesome, Matt. It gives the more seasoned fans a chance to hear the stuff that's better appreciated by them and probably for yourself. I'm all for the idea of releasing those shows. Hell, I'm still waiting for the rest of that acoustic Massey Hall recording to surface one of these days. The LiveRoad stuff is great as well. I'm surprised you'd even have to ask us if we'd want those acoustic shows to be recorded. It's a collective "YES!"

One last thing. Thanks for killing it in Toronto on this tour. Seriously, one of the best shows I've ever been to. The new record translates so well with your live band.

I think the LiveRoad version of While We Were Hunting Rabbits is fantastic, love the guitar work there.

As for the idea of recording entire acoustic shows, I like the idea. I know personally I'll probably listen to them and chop out my favourite versions of songs.

Hahaha, to be honest I was waiting until all the liveroad tracks were all out and then listening to it all as a pseudo live album so yeah whole live shows would be great just for the banter alone, like on the Live At Massey Hall recording you cut out a hilarious comment about the front row of empty seats being leaf's season ticket holders. That's gold!

Rehearsing a shit-ton of songs is no easy feat unless it's a band that's been playing the same massive amounts of songs since day one. Making up for it by showcasing the most recent album is a solid alternative to hearing as many different songs live as possible, albeit over different tours, haha.

...Imagine having all the live shows recorded over X amount of years then releasing an official live album done with a killer mix of the individual performances from shows which get the most popular...over the top, I know, but no one I can think of has ever done a "best of live renditions" album!

As an added point, I wouldn't disregard the appeal of a tour not focused on any album, but deliberately done to play some deep cuts even if it's only the same cycle of 8-10 oddities with the usual live staples. If you made it known as such, perhaps did something fun with the fans to pick which songs get chosen it could be as much promo as a new album is for you, considering how hard it seems to be to promote your new albums, at least on radio.

I shit you not, if you called it the "Suburbia full band version tour 2014" you'd get people going nuts hahaha.

Cool insight into the live set up, too. That stuff is fun to hear about as well.

Hey Matt, I live in Ottawa so had to travel to see your new tour. Went to Brockville on Oct. 21 and then again to Kingston on Oct 24 (VIP Tickets to that one). The shows were excellent, especially in Kingston. To be able to listen to the two Live Road songs from those shows (We're Long Gone & Guns of Carolina) is wonderful, it brings you back to the show every time.

I was at your acoustic show at the Ottawa Folk Festival in 2012. I would love to be able to listen to all those songs again directly recorded from that show. So yeah I think it' a great idea...

I should add that from a business point of view I would be very happy to pay for this kind of content. When you go to sporting events you can buy programs etc. Why not allow fans to buy a permanent record, literally, of what they experienced.

One of the many things I love about Live Road is the ability to put together the actually set list from the concerts I attended. Another is listening to recordings of songs that were not played at the concerts I attended. So from my perspective I would like to buy the entire recording from the concerts I attended, acoustic or full band, plus have the ability to buy other concerts and/or individual songs from the other concerts.

I' sure that extra revenue wouldn't hurt, as an Canadian Indie you deserve/need extra revenue opportunities and this would be great for your fans.

My 5 cents

Trust me, I’d LOVE to have 70 songs in the bag to choose from. I’d play tons off that record – Man Of Action, Tripoli, Under The Influence, Rat, etc. We’re currently trying to get Born To Kill together, and hopefully we can for at least one show. The problem is, and as I have explained in the past, I’m a solo artist. That means, because my players live in Toronto, I have to go there to rehearse, which means playing them for rehearsing, the space itself, hotel costs, food, travel, all of it. It adds up fast. Before you know it you’ve spent $20,000 dollars before the tour’s even started. Prior to this tour we rehearsed for only 6 days, because that’s what was budgeted. So I had to choose what was going to be in the rotation beforehand so everyone could be prepared. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve actually flirted with moving to Toronto, but it’s way too massive a life change – new schools, grandparents on the other side of the country, all of that.

No one hates it more than I do, trust me.

As for the vocals and stuff on Rabbits. It could have been because I was under the weather, it could just have been because I was having trouble pitching on that particular stage. We’ve taken a new approach on this tour with vocal mics to stop massive bleed through it. My amps are now muted (there’s foam in front of them) because they’re way too loud off stage (they’re Vox’s which means you have two knobs and gain is controlled by volume, so). Those two aspects have changed the dynamics of what I hear, and it changes in every venue. In the smaller clubs we’ve played I just have Blake’s symbals crashing through my mic when it’s open at 120DB. It can be hard to find pitch it the bass isn’t absolutely present. There is also the fact that the low vocals might be a bit muffed because the whole song’s been dropped an entire step from the recording.

We tried the timpani samples, but they sound like samples, which is lame. And yes, it was timpani on the album. Those are sort of hard to replace live. Blake and I discussed it and we would rather the groove be established that focus on those hits.

I LOVE your acoustic shows, the banter is something I really miss from the full band shows (assholes keep yelling "play music!"), I think we have a few shows from the nothing to hide tour, including rarities like hopeless, can't get shot in the back, sort of a protest some, etc. I think it would even be cool for your efforts to do a pay service for access, not like M+ where people complained you didn't do enough for them, but just to access a series of live official "bootlegs" complete with all the banter, mistakes, conversation, etc. that super fans nerd out over. If you could put born to born to kill on live road for this version it would be amazing.

Any chance you can give some more info on the new strat you have this tour?

I'm sure everyone here would love every show released in full for your next tour. I'd figure it would be easier for you too since you wouldn't need to review every song but just upload it all.

Personally, one concern for solo acoustic shows is that recordings likely wouldn't sound quite as good if recorded from the soundboard compared to recording from an external mic (like in quality bootleg likes this) because the soundboard usually misses the natural acoustics and reverb added to your voice/guitar that comes from indoor venues. Outdoor venues probably wouldn't be affected much, but IMO your solo acoustic shows sound much better indoors anyways for those reasons. But if faced with soundboard vs nothing, obviously I'd still love it if you released the soundboard for full shows.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham