AnOceanPearl

Arrows Of Desire Tour Thread

So yeah, let's talk about the tour here. Matt is being awesome regarding setlists:

"Day one, town one, venue one, set list one. I don’t think I’ve had a more difficult time putting together a setlist in my career. That being the case, I think this tour deserves a dedicated set list page where the lists from each show are posted. I’ll launch that page later tonight after the show or tomorrow morning."

October 14, Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Garden Of Knives / Arrows Of Desire / So Close / Via Dolorosa / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Born Losers / Non Populus / Had It Coming / We're Long Gone / Mutineering / Weapon / Letters In Wartime / Encore / Apparitions / Load Me Up / Guns Of Carolina

The only song they didn't play from the new album was Hey Hell Heaven, which is my favorite, but I definitely like the fact that Matt focused a lot of attention on his new material. It's a welcome departure from some of the summer open air shows crammed with setlist staples, which seems inevitable in those environments.

Edited by NonPopulus

This setlist excites me. The new album is so rocking that I'm wanting to hear these songs live. Awesome stuff. I hope this keeps up until the Toronto show, because I have absolutely no issue with that set.

October 14, Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Garden Of Knives / Arrows Of Desire / So Close / Via Dolorosa / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Born Losers / Non Populus / Had It Coming / We're Long Gone / Mutineering / Weapon / Letters In Wartime / Encore / Apparitions / Load Me Up / Guns Of Carolina

The only song they didn't play from the new album was Hey Hell Heaven, which is my favorite, but I definitely like the fact that Matt focused a lot of attention on his new material. It's a welcome departure from some of the summer open air shows crammed with setlist staples, which seems inevitable in those environments.

WOW! I never would have guessed "Hey Hell Heaven" being the only omission on a live set list, especially considering it's huge crowd pleasing sing along qualities. Does this mean we have a new member of the "I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that song... I hate playing it." club? ( joining Rico and Indestructible).

I don't know that I've heard him diss any of his solo work. Well, just a few tracks on Avalanche because he thought it was too long. Most of the stuff he dislikes is from the early days of MGB, which ironically is some of my favorite stuff. LOTGA is probably my favorite MGB album.

I don't think Hey Hell Heaven was passed over on this setlist because he hates it. It was just the unfortunate song that didn't receive a debut yet. He said he was aiming for 7 Arrows of Desire songs per night, which he hit and exceeded. I expect to see the number of Arrows songs fluctuate. We'll see as the tour progresses. I'm glad he started off with a bold statement that he doesn't need to play all of the hits to appease casual fans.

Too early to draw too many insights from the set list. The band will mix different songs in throughout the tour and likely add a few old ones into the rotation once they have more off days to work through additional songs.

October 16, Moncton

Mutineering / Hey Hell Heaven / Load Me Up / Arrows Of Desire / Letters In Wartime / Born Losers / Non Populus / Had It Coming / We're Long Gone / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Alert Status Red / Weapon / Garden Of Knives / Encore / Apparitions / Via Dolorosa / Guns Of Carolina

Hey Hell Heaven gets its live debut tonight. So Close gets a seat in the press box. Nice to see the order changed and again, nice to see Matt and the band loving the new material.

Edited by NonPopulus

October 17, Saint John

Letters In Wartime / Last Parade / The Future Is X-Rated / So Close / Hey Hell Heaven / Had It Coming / Weapon / Born Losers / Non Populus / Arrows Of Desire / Mutineering / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Apparitions / Encore / Garden Of Knives / Load Me Up / Guns Of Carolina

Fun! Letters in Wartime seems like a pretty cool opener - pretty long, but I think it has a journeyesque quality to it. We also lose Via Dolorosa and We're Long Gone for a couple older tracks. I don't mind the absence of Alert Status Red, the old standard he injected last night.

I think closing with Guns of Carolina would be as effective as closing with Set Me On Fire. At first, I thought Guns was kind of anticlimactic in the sense that it wasn't as dynamic as Set Me On Fire, but after listening closely on good speakers under stained glass lighting, I can really see it.

I love Matt closing with guns because he's "done what you paid him for" and now he can leave. See it has a double meaning!

I love Matt closing with guns because he's "done what you paid him for" and now he can leave. See it has a double meaning!

• Upvote 1

Here's the set list from tonight, according to setlist.fm:

Garden of knives

last parade

hello time bomb (followed by a rant on Rico when an audience member yelled it out)

so close

mutineering

born losers

non populus

arrows of desire

via dolorosa

alert status red

weapon

letters in wartime

while we were hunting rabbits.

Encore:

Apparitions

Load me up

Had it coming

Guns of caroline

Edited by RileyLewis

October 18, Halifax

Garden Of Knives / Last Parade / Hello Time Bomb / So Close / Mutineering / Born Losers / Non Populus / Arrows Of Desire / Via Dolorosa / Alert Status Red / Weapon / Letters In Wartime / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Encore / Apparitions / Load Me Up / Had It Coming / Guns Of Carolina

I would like to see a Arrows of Desire / Garden of Knives beginning to a set. Popped up when I had the album on shuffle accidentally the other day and it works well.

I'm on graveyard shift tonight so I'm totally going to do this.

Haha. I did this tonight too, actually. I made separate sheets for main set openers and closers, and encore openers and closers. Setlist.fm will automatically generate an average setlist, but the songs aren't always in the correct order.

I do it so that it organizes by % likelihood to be played. However, MG seems to always play more "mainstream" shows in Regina compared to say, Vancouver or Toronto. So we tend to get Hello Time Bomb, Everything is Automatic, etc, rather than say, Rabbits or Blue Skies. On his last tour we were one of only a few locations to not get a few deeper cuts, and instead got the radio hits. :\

Not his fault, I guess he feels Regina has more mainstream fans compared to long-time fans, or something. Must think it's a different crowd.