AnOceanPearl

Arrows Of Desire Tour Thread

Well.

Forgot that I lost my driver's licence a few weeks back and haven't had it replaced. Realized this, of course - three hours from when the doors open.

So no show at all for me tonight.

Can anyone tell me what the merch is like? Any cool hoodies or something so my girlfriend can pick me up something maybe?

Turns out.. I made it in anyways. Made it right up to the stage - this is an unzoomed photo.

zJwOyX.jpg

Girlfriend also managed to bumrush the stage and grab a little something.

2hVGQX.jpg

All in all - flat out amazing show guys. The energy Matt had was nuts.

Edited by PixelatedRetronaut

October 21, Brockville

Arrows Of Desire / Load Me Up / Alert Status Red / So Close / Mutineering / Non Populus / Born Losers / Had It Coming / We're Long Gone / Weapon / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Letters In Wartime / Encore / Apparitions / Garden Of Knives / Guns Of Carolina

October 21, Brockville

Arrows Of Desire / Load Me Up / Alert Status Red / So Close / Mutineering / Non Populus / Born Losers / Had It Coming / We're Long Gone / Weapon / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Letters In Wartime / Encore / Apparitions / Garden Of Knives / Guns Of Carolina

Please don't let this be the set list for Nov 1st in Toronto... I would gladly trade Load Me Up for The Future is X Rated, Alert Status Red for Last Parade, While We Were Hunting Rabbits for Champions of Nothing, and any of them for Hey Hell Heaven.

While I like Matthew Good's music, including the new album, I have noticed that there has not been much variety in songs at the last six shows he has played so

far on the Arrows Of Desire tour (he has played most of his new album at all of the shows, with a few additional songs, however, it seems as though only the

order of the songs changes, and not so much the setlist itself). Does anyone think that the setlists will change at all through out the tour, or will he continue

to play similar setlists?

While I like Matthew Good's music, including the new album, I have noticed that there has not been much variety in songs at the last six shows he has played so

far on the Arrows Of Desire tour (he has played most of his new album at all of the shows, with a few additional songs, however, it seems as though only the

order of the songs changes, and not so much the setlist itself). Does anyone think that the setlists will change at all through out the tour, or will he continue

Setlist is almost certainly going to be similar throughout the tour since he pays the band to rehearse and they can only learn so many songs in a short period of time.

Comparing it to the LOES tour:

From the first 6 shows:

AOD: 20 different songs

LOES: 22 different songs

AOD songs played per show (average): Around 8

LOES songs per show: Around 5-6

So he's playing a slightly less diverse show, but playing 2 or 3 extra album songs. I am ok with that.

After 6 shows (non-album songs highlighted):

AOD:

Garden Of Knives

Arrows Of Desire

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Born Losers

Non Populus

Had It Coming

Weapon

Letters In Wartime

Apparitions

Load Me Up

Guns Of Carolina

Mutineering

So Close

Via Dolorosa

We're Long Gone

Hey Hell Heaven

Alert Status Red

Last Parade

The Future Is X-Rated

Hello Timebomb

LOES:

Shallow's Low

What if I Can't See the Stars, Mildred?

Zero Orchestra

Non Populus

Set Me on Fire

Born Losers

Weapon

Load Me Up

Apparitions

The Future is X-Rated

Lights of Endangered Species

Giant

Hornets

The Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Timebomb

How it Goes

Last Parade

A Silent Army in the Trees

Great Whales of the Sea

Alert Status Red

It's Been a While Since I was your Man

So 10 non-album songs vs 15 non-album songs.

However (a BIG however), he's also playing 2-3 more songs per show. Obviously that's because the AOD songs tend to be shorter on average that the LOES songs, but I'd rather have 16 or 17 shorter songs than 13 longer ones. That's just, though.

Oct 22 Peterborough, ON:

Letters In Wartime

Hello Time Bomb

Arrows of Desire

So Close

Hey Hell Heaven

Born Losers

Non Populus

Had It Coming

We're Long Gone

Weapon

Via Dolorosa

The Future Is X-Rated

Encore:

Garden of Knives

Apparitions

Guns of Carolina

what went on in brockville?

From Milos' facebook:

Just to clear some air regarding yesterday's tweet regarding Brockville, I quote: "Waking up in Brockville, ON. Wondering what the suicide rate is in this beauty".... Well, it turns out it's VERY high. We were parked behind the Dominion Grocery Store in what looked like Detroit. It was 9 am, I was tired, missing my family... It's not easy being in a travelling circus and waking up in a different town every morning. Sometimes you have to make dark and insensitive jokes, just to amuse yourself. Well, I made one on Twitter. And it hit too close to home for some. I didn't really think my association with Matthew Good would even put this stupid joke on a discussion forum of your daily lives. It was more of a social commentary, then a joke.

When I say: "I'm sorry" I'm talking directly to those fighting to reduce this serious issue and those heartbroken by a loss of a loved one.

Again, to those I offended, I'm really sorry.

Milos Angelov

And from mg dot org

I want to address the controversy started by a tweet made by my bass player yesterday.

First, let me say that Milos is a man of significant character, an amazing father, and also a person that grew up in Serbia during the war. His exposure to horrible realities that 99% of us will never experience is significant and has certainly impacted his perspective with regards to the plight of others, especially the darkness that many youths endure in the face of significant hardships, as he was a youth at that time.

That said, there is no excusing the comment that he made. But unlike those that are willing to throw a person under the bus because of a single tweet, including demands that I remove him from my employ, I won’t entertain such rashness.

Milos has worked with me for longer than any other musician in my career, has been a sounding board for me during difficult times, and is a close family friend. He is also, without question, a person that possesses an extremely macabre sense of humour. His tweet represented just that, and was something that he should not have posted. Again, there is no excusing the comment that he made, but as someone that knows him as well as I do, I know that it was just that, a reflection of his macabre sense of humour and not a direct attack on a particular place.

Trust me, for those of you looking for a pound of flesh, Milos is extremely upset about this. Having said that, one thing that I will not do is treat him as a liability rather than my friend. I will not entertain the idiocy of those calling for his removal because I am not that sort of man. I’ll not abandon a friend because of a case of poor judgement. Because the reality is that everyone out there that is angered by this is also guilty of the same thing at some point in their lives - and to claim otherwise would be a lie.

For those that are now attacking me directly, it’s important to remember that I am an advocate for the Canadian Mental Health Association and take the issue of suicide due to mental illness very, very seriously. In this regard I do not have to defend my record. My openness with regards to talking directly about such issues is well documented and, with regards to my own struggles with mental illness, is something that I have never been ashamed of or attempted to hide. I have and continue to speak about my own struggles and mental health issues in general on national television, in national print media, and on radio across the country.

While Milos’ tweet was uncalled for, it certainly did touch a nerve, one that some in Brockville perhaps need to take greater interest in. It is one thing to admonish him, to call for his resignation, or to demand that he donate his pay to local initiatives regarding teen suicide. But the question that ultimately has to be asked is – if you’re a resident of Brockville, how much consideration do you give the subject? It is, after all, your community. Having spoken at length last night with local city councillor Leigh Bursey, I know that he is very dedicated to the issue and has worked with troubled youths. The passion regarding the issue that he demonstrated to me certainly reflects the positivity that he brings to local government. That said, if you are among those attacking Milos, I would ask what you are doing to combat the issue, as it is one thing to attack him for an ill conceived tweet and entirely another if such attacks are coming from those that play no part in dealing with the issue in their community.

Having lived in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside for years, which is Canada’s poorest urban neighbourhood and one overly populated by those that the mental health establishment has utterly failed, I have spoken with hundreds of people on the streets about their lives, their situations, and how they ended up sleeping in alleys addicted to drugs in an attempt to combat those demons in their heads that they cannot subdue. I have seen some of them disappear entirely - there one day and gone the next - the ambulance almost permanently parked on lower Hastings making another run to the city morgue. While many might claim that my struggles are not equatable to theirs, I can assure you that the face of everyone that I spent time with in that neighbourhood is etched in my memory and on my soul. And so, given the opportunities that I am presented given my access to the media, I speak out on their behalf, and all those that struggle with mental illness. Because we have all, at some point, found ourselves alone in the dark, and it is there that either a kind hand comes to pull us from beneath the waves or falters because of the fear and stigma that surrounds those slowly slipping into perpetual midnight.

The question, though it has ultimately been presented in the worst possible way, is wether or not your hand is one willing to be thrust into those waters to save a complete stranger, or if, as is commonly the case, the issue itself is one better ignored than confronted given the unease it presents. Human beings make mistakes, that much is certain. Correcting them, that is what ultimately makes us human. And that said, it’s time all of us took that aspect of this affair to heart.

I can't but feel that these set lists could be longer and more diverse, and I think most others feel the same. With 16-17 songs per night I can't help but think the longer sets of the old days are a thing of the past, which is sad (think Live at Massey Hall.. which had 20 songs). I know Matt addressed these recent complaints on Facebook (which i think is now deleted) but I recall he said that the set list is basically set according to ticket price. Sure he could do longer sets but he'd essentially have to charge more. There's also the complex matter of training his new bands on back catalogue material which takes time and is expensive, but I'm sure if he polled the majority of the MG community most would NOT complain about higher ticket prices if it meant longer set lists and more material. At this point in his career, Matt SHOULD charge more and can justify it.

I can't help but look at Pearl Jam's recent setlists and think about how much incredible value and diversity they give to their fans in their shows. The sets are diverse, long, have a mix of old and new, and completely over deliver. Sure people are always left wanting more, but at least they are left satisfied. The last few MG shows I've been to I can't help but feel short-changed. Unfortunately I've come to expect no more than the bare minimum from Matt these days. IMO I don't see a point in posting set lists unless there's going to be some diversity in them -- that's the whole fun of looking at set lists from city to city -- to see which songs got played in your city and which didn't in others.

I've probably seen Matt play close to 20 times since 1998. With his back catalogue he could easily throw in a few more songs without breaking a sweat. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff he's doing with fan engagement online these days and I think the Live recordings are a great idea -- but I think the emphasis should on blowing people away in the live shows. That's the stuff that keeps people coming back.

• Upvote 1