AnOceanPearl

Arrows Of Desire Tour Thread

November 14, Edmonton

Garden Of Knives / Last Parade / Arrows Of Desire / Load Me Up / Born Losers / Non Populus / While We Were Hunting Rabbits / Mutineering / So Close / Alert Status Red / Via Dolorosa / Had It Coming / Weapon / Letters In Wartime / Encore / Giant / Apparitions / Shallow's Low

I was at the Edmonton show, and that made #27 I've seen MG/B perform. It's hard to compare shows after a while unless it was one of a kind (ie: Pepsi Taste Tour in '99, first solo acoustic tour in '06) but last night was a solid performance with a high energy level from the band and determination to rock.

The concert was at a sit down venue, which always poses issues for crowd engagement but has the plus of great acoustics. After a few songs Matt encouraged everyone to stand up and most people did for the remainder. The classics (Load Me Up, Apparitions) received the biggest reaction but from start to finish the band didn't give up and there was a nice mix of Arrows of Desire and past works thrown in.

The banter level was at a minimum, Matt commented at one time he had nothing, and this lack of banter lead to a quicker transition from one song to the next. With this Matt mentioned he wasn't as young as he used to be and took the opportunity to let the band noodle around or play intermission music. One thing that will never amaze me is that even after Matt explains that the Inner Ear Monitors prevent hearing the audience people will still continue to shout to the stage...it makes no sense.

As we've seen from past reviews the new material sounds great live and I felt like the audience was in to it as well. As you can see above, the show had a few gems put in to the set, would have loved Future is X-Rated in there but the night wasn't without some personal highlights like:

• Non Populus - This song was my favorite from last tour and continues to be a favorite now. If a show can't get Near Fantastica then Non Populus fits the bill. Great guitar work, it's straight up awesome.
  • Via Dolorosa, So Close and Garden of Knives - These were all excellent live and I hope a few of them stick around in future tours.
  • Rabbits - How can you complain about this being performed?
  • Alert Status Red - Always great live and sandwiched between So Close and Via Dolorosa it was a nice combo.

I did record the show and will work through it today. I will try and have the full show available this weekend. It's too bad there hasn't been the usual amount of shows being recorded. The guys out east, Pintowax or 5ilent Narcotic, were always good for a few but things happen, people move on or they just can't make it out to record as much as they used to. Live Road is a nice addition and scratches that itch to hear how the material sounds.

• Upvote 1

The set list posted for November 14 is slightly incorrect, it goes: Mutineering > So Close > While We Were Hunting Rabbits instead of While We Were Hunting Rabbits > Mutineering > So Close.

Anyway, here is Via Dolorosa from the Edmonton show put on a Dropbox link, hopefully everyone can access it...enjoy! https://www.dropbox....%20Dolorosa.mp3

• Upvote 1

Great show in Calgary tonight. Matt and the band never disappoint. I sure felt like a VIP tonight with the cool commemorative laminate. It looked like there were three times more people at the Meet and Greet than last year. That's awesome to see. Matt was a super nice guy like last year. He called me Dear again. :) Purchasing the Fan Experience VIP ticket package was well worth it. What I took away from this year's Meet and Greet is that Matt is really, really appreciative of the fans who come out to his shows. He played all of my favorite songs tonight: Garden of Knives (the opening to this song was awesome), Guns of Carolina, and Letters in Wartime. Looking forward to tomorrow's show!

Edited by girl

Calgary was a good show, I wasn't big on the opening band but others seemed to enjoy them. Matt was having a good time, played 6 songs in a row right off the bat, had an asthma attack between a couple, had his guitar strap fall off, all kinds of fun stuff. Apparently matt got a new strat, looks like a 70's body but a standard small headstock so maybe a different neck?

Some people tried to float to the front of the stage, security moved them away after people nicely asked them to move on, one girl was PISSED that they wouldn't let her stand at the front and argued with the security guard for a while. as we were coming out she was ranting and talking about wanting to throw things at people who complained about her. Some people...

Meet and greet was awesome, I gave matt some johnny cash, the who, and lindi ortega on vinyl, apparently he was getting the band watch Brazil recently.

Pics...

it4v.jpg

My buddy mike in the picture as well...

a07b.jpg

Great show in Calgary tonight. Matt and the band never disappoint. I sure felt like a VIP tonight with the cool commemorative laminate. It looked like there were three times more people at the Meet and Greet than last year. That's awesome to see. Matt was a super nice guy like last year. He called me Dear again. :) Purchasing the Fan Experience VIP ticket package was well worth it. What I took away from this year's Meet and Greet is that Matt is really, really appreciative of the fans who come out to his shows. He played all of my favorite songs tonight: Garden of Knives (the opening to this song was awesome), Guns of Carolina, and Letters in Wartime. Looking forward to tomorrow's show!

There were a LOT of people going for VIP, good to see people are willing to shell out some extra cash for The experience, should help counter that cancelled show

Edited by finboy

Matthew Good 28/11/13 - Orpheum Theatre

Garden of Knives

Last Parade

Load Me Up

Arrows Of Desire

Non Populus

Born Losers

So Close

Everything Is Automatic

Shallow's Low

Rabbits

(Walk Hard?)

Had It Coming

We're Long Gone

Weapon

Alert Status Red

Via Dolorosa

Letters In Wartime

---------------------------

Giant

Time Bomb

Apparitions

Champions of Nothing

Solid show. Highlights for me were Rabbits, Letters In Wartime, and the entire encore was awesome. Hopefully Matt will do a solo acoustic tour sooner than later.

Thanks for sharing this!

Regards,

Juanpe

The set list posted for November 14 is slightly incorrect, it goes: Mutineering > So Close > While We Were Hunting Rabbits instead of While We Were Hunting Rabbits > Mutineering > So Close.

Anyway, here is Via Dolorosa from the Edmonton show put on a Dropbox link, hopefully everyone can access it...enjoy! https://www.dropbox....%20Dolorosa.mp3