zebrahead

I met Sam Roberts today

I came to Portland today to see the Sam Roberts show. I got to meet the band. Sam was a really nice guy and we talked about Canadian music, his tour with The Hip among other things. He and the band were very appreciative to see that people in the States do listen to Canadian artists. I can't wait to see the show tonight. He is headlining at a smaller club and the show only costs 8 dollars. A lot less than what I paid to see him at The Commodore. I don't think it will be a large turnout tonight after Sam jokingly said that he would be doing a private show for me.

Hopefully with the re-release of his cd on a different label as well as the increased exposure from his tour with The Hip he will get the recognition he deserves in the States.

Sam headlined the show, the opener was a local Portland act that remeinded me of an accoustic Sister Hazel sound. Sam was awesome. There was only about 35-50 people at the club but he played like he was entertaining a stadium crowd. Some people showed up that didn't even know Sam's music. I made a new friend that came because of a review he read in one of the weekly entertainment papers. All the non-Sam fans were soon converted. The band did not disappoint.

Sam's brother drove with Sam from Seattle to see the show. Sam pulled his embarrassed brother up on stage to play the bongos I think for Brother Down. After the show the band talked with fans and I had them sign my vinyl. I got pictures and I hope they turned out. It was an amazing night.