mrjason

Looks Like Vinyl Releases Of Back Catalog Are Coming

This is something I never actually thought would come to fruition, just kind of a pipe dream previously.  I guess it confirms Hospital Music and Beautiful Midnight.  I know Matt wanted to release the entire back catalog is that still the plan? And will everything become available at once, or staggered.  Pretty excited to hear more on this! 

This is something I never actually thought would come to fruition, just kind of a pipe dream previously.  I guess it confirms Hospital Music and Beautiful Midnight.  I know Matt wanted to release the entire back catalog is that still the plan? And will everything become available at once, or staggered.  Pretty excited to hear more on this! 

That's my thought too. I would almost rather wait an extra amount of time to be able to get the whole set at once. Or it would be cool to do a set of the solo stuff and a set of MGB, though I'm not sure if the latter is a possibility? 

I would honestly say no it doesn't make the difference, unless you're buying a high end system with a good set of speakers.

I bought myself a Crosley a few months ago and gave the records I had been stockpiling a try. It's decent, but not great. Certainly something I don't want to get myself invested in because once I start something, I stick with it. So yeah, it's an expensive hobby. I like the idea of collecting vinyl and the concept of enjoy an album from start to finish, but I can get the same enjoyment from buying cd which I still do.

Also, in the wrong environment,your vinyl cn really depreciate in quality if you don't take care if them properly.

I wouldn't recommend a Crosley for your vinyl. I have a music hall 2.2 and it plays beautifully. It really factors in how much you spend on a turntable and preamp and what kind. It can be quite expensive but worth it in the end. You can also get great bookshelf speakers for a reasonable price.

Edited by Konez
  • Upvote 1

My turntable setup is nothing spectacular, but I do enjoy listening to records. We have a rotation we usually put on when we are entertaining, Christmas albums for that time of year, decorating the tree, etc., Jazz albums for carnival season. 

I don't get to do it very often with the kiddo running around, but every now and then - maybe once a year or so - when I get the house to myself, I have a little listening party, turn it up real loud, mostly all my MG stuff, some Buckley and a few others I've collected along the way.

Guest Idioteque

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!!!

Man. At the risk of having my rare priceless Matthew Good vinyl collection reduced to quarter of the price they are worth right now...

Briiiiiiiiiiing on the reissues!

I may have to sell one of my signed & sealed O.G Avalanche records just to fund this massive purchase though :(.

Guest Idioteque

Most likely so it's an easier process to make them & ship. He does imply it's every album though. What's probably going to happen is they are going to make 500 to 5000 copies of each album & slowly release them. See which albums have the most demand.

Hey Matt,

Matt, Cassettes? Hmm? Am I the only one that listens to them anymore?

The craving I have for the pop & crackle on vinyl I love the isolation & bass you get from a cassette.

There's actually a small boom in the industry for them now (thank you hipsters) and look what they did for vinyl, brought that shit back from the dead!

But I'd understand if he didn't because cassettes do suck, even I can admit they are the worst choice to listen to music.

But they look pretty next to eachother.

Most likely so it's an easier process to make them & ship. He does imply it's every album though. What's probably going to happen is they are going to make 500 to 5000 copies of each album & slowly release them. See which albums have the most demand.

Hey Matt,

Matt, Cassettes? Hmm? Am I the only one that listens to them anymore?

The craving I have for the pop & crackle on vinyl I love the isolation & bass you get from a cassette.

There's actually a small boom in the industry for them now (thank you hipsters) and look what they did for vinyl, brought that shit back from the dead!

But I'd understand if he didn't because cassettes do suck, even I can admit they are the worst choice to listen to music.

But they look pretty next to eachother.

There's a big section of people that listen to cassettes:  prisoners.  Alan Cross did a thing on his Geeks & Beats podcast about it.  Apparently sales are still decent for them because of inmates in prisons.  It's the only media that they're allowed to have, as CDs can be broken and made into weapons.  So record labels still put out releases on tape.  It's pretty funny. 

I remember quite fondly making mix tapes, and trying to get that one song you really liked on the radio down on tape.  Good times. 

No WLRRR? Disappointing as that's the album that has an a real vinyl-era sound.

We already had warnings about Audio of Being not being in the mix. Surprised they didn't go for Loser Anthems or Lo-Fi, but maybe there's plan for a second wave should this go well.

I was really stoked about the whole catalogue coming out, but I am only gonna get BM/HM this go around, and the only other one I'll probably get is AoB whenever that happens. Have all the solo stuff that's been released, and I don't feel the need to be a completionist like I may have felt a few years ago, so I'm just gonna pick my faves out of the line up.