mrjason

Looks Like Vinyl Releases Of Back Catalog Are Coming

Guest Idioteque

The husband's name is Dean Ambrose who I may or may not be a fan of. WRASTLIN!  :whistle: 

How is Omissions of The Omen not on Ghetto? It's the 2nd shortest album out of the bunch, it's 52 minutes, Hospital Music is 62 minutes. Does every other album have all their songs? It deserved to have been labelled "Track 11" after all these years in the shadows lol. 

I'm going to be able to tell if they are remastered when I hook up my record player to my laptop & MP3 each album, so I get a nice crispy vinyl pop version. I do that with all my albums, but if it's going to be the exact same version as my CD (or worse) then I might just frame them. Bummer too because these are advertised as "Newly Remastered". Oh well I won't know until I open them. 

$40 is a gut punch when you want the entire collection. The HMV I went to, Matt had the most expensive albums there with
 everything from Jack White to Sun Kill Moon just hovering around the $20-$30 mark. If I didn't know Matt's music I'd probably be intimidated by the $40 tag. That's a price I'd usually see for coloured vinyl or from indie bands trying to kickstart their own label/album or an older band like The Tea Party doing a rare limited reissue for the fans, not something coming out of Warner Music Canada. It's on 150g black vinyl, not even 180g. 

Example: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tea-party-eot20

I understand that it's probably a safety net for Warner Music to see how well they sell & if that convinces them to reissuing the rest of his catalogue, but at the cost of Matt inevitably having an extremely expensive discography once everything is released & out of the price range for most casual vinyl buyers/collectors, fan or not. Makes perfect sense if they are limited to 5,000, just not if they are always in supply.

MG/MGB really should have just been 2 separate boxsets. it's alot easier justifying a $200 price & labelling it with "Remastered" & "Collectors Edition" when it's bundled. Pearl Jam has done some great things for their anniversaries, Soundgarden also. Eminem has a 10LP boxset at HMV for $350 & his albums go as long as 60-70 minutes. I know economics play a huge part in getting these albums on the shelves let alone what it probably took behind the scenes. But this all feels so rushed & could have been amazing if there was some sort of creative marketing idea behind what should have been the celebration of MGB & his solo work. 

If you ever want to hear really good MGB mixes then pick up a copy of the USA version of Beautiful Midnight, there's some Underdog tracks on there that have been remastered as well as Load Me Up & Hello Time Bomb. sounds great. 

Good points ^

Living in NYC I actually had the US version of Beautiful Midnight first. I didn't know it wasn't the actual original tracklist for a while. When I heard the Canadian versions of some of the tracks I could tell they were mixed differently. Specifically:

Deep Six, Everything is Automatic, Hello Time Bomb, Load Me Up, Strange Days

Also I just think its funny I'm gonna end up with the reissued vinyls BEFORE the Chaotic Neutral vinyl arrives.

Edited by Gomo

Guest Idioteque

Wow I honestly keep forgetting that I'm still waiting on that. I ordered another album off MapleMusic a few weeks ago & everything worked out fine so I guess Chaotic Neutral is stuck somewhere in a chaotic pressing factory. 

Damn, no Omissions! I got my BM and Underdogs today. They look pretty awesome. Will listen and report back later.

Also, I got a mystery email from Canada Post today saying a package shipped from Maple Music that is due to arrive tomorrow. Perhaps Chaotic Neutral is on its way????!!!!!!

Wow I honestly keep forgetting that I'm still waiting on that. I ordered another album off MapleMusic a few weeks ago & everything worked out fine so I guess Chaotic Neutral is stuck somewhere in a chaotic pressing factory.

I lol'd at "in a chaotic pressing factory"

*womp womp wommmmmmmp* daaad jokes

Also I just realized that HMV was said. And the fact that they can be purchased at HMV which means no shipping! Yes!

Also I just called HMV and they said they can still order me a Chaotic Neutral vinyl. But how can that be when you can't further order one from Matt's store? #confused

Edited by emmit643

Guest Idioteque

HMV probably has a certain amount of CN preordered to put on their shelves.

I just got an email saying something from MapleMusic is at my post office, Woo! Could this be it?

Edited by Idioteque

No Omissions of the Omen?! Fuck.

That's a glaring omission.

I listened to a bit of the Ghetto Astronauts and Underdog LP's.

These really do not sounds that great, in my opinion.  Very flat with little dynamics.  Really seems like they just took the CD masters and put them on vinyl, which I guess is ok if you are not charging $40 per album.

Do you listen to a lot of vinyl?  It's known that vinyl has less dynamic range than CD's.  On a record you're just not going to get the high and low end that a CD is capable of producing.

I think the cost has to do with the fact that these are 2 records, with the exception of Raygun which is a single and priced accordingly, at least around where I am. I wonder if they opted not to a box set since not all Matt's records are available yet. The complete solo set and complete MGB set would be ideal in my mind.

BM, HM, Underdogs and Raygun are set to arrive within a few days for me, will have to find the time to have a listening party. it would be cool to listen to all the records chronologically. But, that's 9 records!

Here's to hoping everyone finally receives CN sometime in the very near future...

ETA: ah crap! Just realized one of the shipping notices is via maple music so it must be CN! So still waiting on shipping info for underdogs and Raygun which were a gift.

Edited by mackie1023

I'm not interested in the individual vinyls. I was hoping for a Matthew Good/MGB box set. Box sets looks prettier on a book shelf and the vinyls are more interesting to look at, all together in a box. I previously owned Avalanche and Arrows of Desire vinyls, but I could never find a good place to store them. They ended up being hidden in my closet collecting dust.

Edited by girl

I'm not interested in the individual vinyls. I was hoping for a Matthew Good/MGB box set. Box sets looks prettier on a book shelf and the vinyls are more interesting to look at, all together in a box. I previously owned Avalanche and Arrows of Desire vinyls, but I could never find a good place to store them. They ended up being hidden in my closet collecting dust.

We have one of those giant ikea shelves that have all the cubes. I have all my MG vinyl standing up in one of them so you can see the spine. The dog is really good, gets the job done. But I agree a box set would be what I would prefer as well.

Edited by mackie1023

Cool idea. I would have never thought of that. I bet they look really nice on your shelf. Do you have a pic of your MG vinyl collection on the ikea shelf?

Do you listen to a lot of vinyl? It's known that vinyl has less dynamic range than CD's. On a record you're just not going to get the high and low end that a CD is capable of producing.

You are not correct about this. CD's are generally compressed where as a well pressed and mastered vinyl is not.

I'm not interested in the individual vinyls. I was hoping for a Matthew Good/MGB box set. Box sets looks prettier on a book shelf and the vinyls are more interesting to look at, all together in a box. I previously owned Avalanche and Arrows of Desire vinyls, but I could never find a good place to store them. They ended up being hidden in my closet collecting dust.

They also sell frames for records. I think Urban Outfitters has them for 10$. Then you can mount them on the wall.

Guest Idioteque

I'm sure none of us here would have bought the records if we weren't happy to finally get Matt on vinyl.

We are just sharing our thoughts on what we bought.

I got my Chaotic Neutral today! Haven't had a chance to listen yet...but it came with a free CD. I thought it was just supposed to be a download code, but hey, now I have two CDs!

Must have been a "we're sorry" gift for the vinyl being so late.

Received my 3 re-issues today. Still waiting on Chaotic Neutral but that's OK. I'm pretty disappointed that Omissions of the Omen was left off LOTGA though, particularly since the entire back of the second disc is just blank. I suppose they couldn't fit it on the front and then some kind of money-saving issue came into play where they said "well if we put the one song on the back of this disc it'll cost X whereas if we leave it off you save X." And they probably decided to leave it off. That's just my guess though.

Edited by Gomo

Must have been a "we're sorry" gift for the vinyl being so late.

Received my 3 re-issues today. Still waiting on Chaotic Neutral but that's OK. I'm pretty disappointed that Omissions of the Omen was left off LOTGA though, particularly since the entire back of the second disc is just blank. I suppose they couldn't fit it on the front and then some kind of money-saving issue came into play where they said "well if we put the one song on the back of this disc it'll cost X whereas if we leave it off you save X." And they probably decided to leave it off. That's just my guess though.

Yes, true.

Methinks you're right about omitting Omissions. For the sake of manufacturing, they likely had to make a cost saving decision like that. Still, though, it would have been fantastic to hear that beautiful song in all the high fidelity glory!

Cool idea. I would have never thought of that. I bet they look really nice on your shelf. Do you have a pic of your MG vinyl collection on the ikea shelf?

I currently have most of my mg stuff in one cube but when the new records arrive I have to start a second.

Here is a photo of the whole shelf and one of the mg cube.

Hopefully they've attached ok,my home PC is not the greatest.

post-5265-0-06133900-1453500927_thumb.jpg

post-5265-0-18532200-1453500945_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

Great collection Mackie! I'll post mine when I get CN. 

I guess it's fine if it was left off due to budget reasons but having another side left completely empty? I've honestly never had a missing track on any of the records I own let alone an empty side that didn't have a design on it or some sort of effort to make up for it. If that's the case though & this happens again for another MG LP that would be pretty upsetting. 

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts is 52 minutes (minus Omissions & it's 48 minutes long)

White Light Rock & Roll Review is 48:43 long.

So if something like "Hopeless" gets cut out & we are given another 1 sided LP that would absolutely suck. If they are reissuing In A Coma I can only pray they'll fit Omissions (possibly Hopeless if that's also left out) onto one of the LP's because it's not great buying incomplete albums at full price.