mrjason

Looks Like Vinyl Releases Of Back Catalog Are Coming

These mistakes make me think they were rushed for time. They forgot to QC and check their work. This gives me a glimmer of hope that proper, fixed versions will come in a box set in the future.   (y)

Edited by girl

These mistakes make me think they were rushed for time. They forgot to QC and check their work. This gives me a glimmer of hope that proper, fixed versions will come in a box set in the future.   (y)

Good thing I already bought these  :sparq:

I would seriously doublecheck lyrics/liner notes for typos for free.

Yup. If I were them, I would hire you. It would be a done deal. You did a great job last time gathering up the lyrics when MG made a post about it here.

I mean in all honesty I don't read or pay attention to liner notes. I might look at them once. But I'm mostly concerned with the functionality of the record.

Still, I suppose it's a bit embarrassing on the label's part. I know I'm responsible for a newsletter that goes out to 10k people for my job, and when there's a typo it pisses me off to no end when I don't catch it.

I'm still excited to have the record. However I think this is a sign that Matt might need to raise a little hell just for the sake of it.

Guest Idioteque

We must tap into this untouched market, the demand for 1 sided LP's & messed up liner notes!

Lol To add to the conversation I read this on Reddit yesterday "I'm glad they left the typo in the credits for "I'm a Window" on the new vinyl release" but I don't see any. I don't have my CD of Hospital Music near me so I can't check to see if this is true but the lyrics look correct.

LUW8qlb.jpg

Can anyone spot a mistake?

Hey Matt, I remember once reading in an interview you said you own the masters for Underdogs, I've always wondered if you meant the mastered analog tape from the recording session or you meant you own the rights to Underdogs? Stupid question I know I'll try to find the interview, I might be confusing Underdogs with another album.  

We must tap into this untouched market, the demand for 1 sided LP's & messed up liner notes!

Lol To add to the conversation I read this on Reddit yesterday "I'm glad they left the typo in the credits for "I'm a Window" on the new vinyl release" but I don't see any. I don't have my CD of Hospital Music near me so I can't check to see if this is true but the lyrics look correct.

LUW8qlb.jpg

Can anyone spot a mistake?

Hey Matt, I remember once reading in an interview you said you own the masters for Underdogs, I've always wondered if you meant the mastered analog tape from the recording session or you meant you own the rights to Underdogs? Stupid question I know I'll try to find the interview, I might be confusing Underdogs with another album.

Is it the line, "down there something's got to match", where it should be "something down there's got to match"

It's the same in the cd liner, but still incorrect, so makes sense how they said "glad they kept the typo in"

Also, Raygun plays as a 45 which I was not expecting. I put it on it at 33 not even thinking of it and, whoa. Don't make my mistake.

Sounds stellar though!

And BM. Damn. Running for home, amazing. That vocal. So good.

Edited by mackie1023

Could you speculate at all as to why Omissions was left off of LOTGA? I hope they didn't just like....not realize it was on there to begin with   :whistle:

That is actually entirely possible.  It wasn't an uncommon problem in the 90s with the advent of hidden CD tracks, especially when the sequenced master was on analog tape.  Whenever there was extended silence after the "last track", some mastering engineers would just honestly assume that the album was over.

For example, Nirvana's Nevermind has a hidden bonus track after "Something in the Way" called "Endless, Nameless".  (If you're over 35, you probably have a traumatic memory of the day you discovered that bonus track - when you left the room, the album "ended", and ten minutes later, this cacophony came blaring out of your speakers.)  When their label first pressed the CDs, they didn't realize the track was there, and left it off.  The band caught it, and their label fixed it in the next pressing.  However, after Kurt died, they did another pressing of Nevermind, and again forgot it was there.  Out of the ten million or so copies of Nevermind that were pressed in the US, only like two million have "Endless, Nameless", and all of them were supposed to.  (I can't speak for Universal Canada's pressings - hopefully, they got it right.)

Whoever handled the LOTGA master together may have hit the same problem - especially since "Omissions" isn't listed on the actual artwork.

Oh - earlier there was a mention about "compression".  There's actually two different types of compression - there's "file" compression, like converting a CD to an MP3, and sound compression, where the volume is lowered on loud parts so that the volume is more consistent throughout the song.  The latter is the key here.

Vinyl actually creates its own compression - when they press the music into the vinyl, the peak volume points get rounded off a little.  Generally, they try to use less sound compression on vinyl masters, as they know the pressing will create its own.  The problem when CDs first came out - and why they generally sounded bland compared to vinyl - was that CDs had no natural compression, so it was an exact match for what was on the master reel.  Vinyl's compression tended to round off the highs and midranges, so the CD had more highs and midranges and sounded dead.  They had to invent ways to process the music so that it sounded like the vinyl.  Unfortunately, once they invented those tools, they realized they could (ab)use them to make CDs as loud as physically possible.

Btw - is it ironic that "Omissions" was omitted?

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

"Loudness war" Thanks for the tinnitus.

I told my friend about this thread because he's been involved with the making of a few records & he said that it's very possible someone overlooked the last bit of the album but it's uncommon.

There can be more than a dozen employees working on a remaster/reissue. There's alot of planning especially for big record companies like Warner & Universal.

"Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts" must have been listened to & edited by alot of people before it got the O.K so for any one of them to not fully listen to every second of that album front to back is a pretty big mistake considering that's part of their job. Also for no one to even google the album & check the information seems unlikely.

My friend & I think it can be as simple as someone making an executive decision to not press the 4th side to save time/money. They seemed sure enough to brand the album basically saying "There is NOTHING on side 4, The last track is The War Is Over".

That's just our thoughts though.

Vinyl is never perfect, that's the best part of all this. I wouldn't pay a penny less for any one of my copies. As a MG fan & vinyl fan I'm happy & satisfied, missing song & all.

Most of the things being discussed here are minor problems that I'm sure the majority of casual vinyl buyers/listeners wouldn't even notice or care about. Beautiful Midnight is #1 in the vinyl charts with the other albums most likely close behind. I hope something good comes out of all this & maybe more people from around the world get to hear about MG/MGB, the buzz from fans/websites & even celebrities have been pretty positive. Now there's even more hype for the second batch of reissues coming like Audio of Being & Massey Hall.

I hope Matt knows he inevitably doomed himself by giving thousands of fans a dozen reasons to get his autograph now lol. VIP's are going to sell like hot potatoes.

Love the reissues, so happy that this finally happened!!! I honestly can't even remember the last time I bought a cd, I've been on strictly vinyl for the last 6 years or so so this is just swell  :D

But has anyone else run into this problem, or just me? I've replayed the song numerous times but cannot seem to fix it. It just gets stuck there  <_<

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBBVIHvj-IL/ 

Very disappointed as this was the record I wanted the most. Still have one side of Beautiful Midnight to listen to and all of Raygun, but that is the only issue I've had so far.. suuuuuucks. 

Gonna be trying to do an exchange.

Guest Idioteque

Have you tried cleaning your needle or finding that specific spot on the album & giving it a clean/look? It may not be the album that's the problem here. Or the groove could be too high for your needle to jump over. 

I normally just punch the side of my record player for it to continue into the song but I would highly recommend not doing that for albums you care about. 

I just listened to mine & it's fine. So maybe do a once-over on your setup to see if everything is working correctly. 

Edited by Idioteque

I don't even own a record player, but I want these just to have as a fan.  I feel like if I don't get them now, I take the chance of them going out of stock.  Decisions...

Same, and considering they all came in Top 10 on the Vinyl charts, they might go out of stock quicker than you anticipate. I picked up at least Hospital Music and Beautiful Midnight, I think I'm gonna go grab the other 3 today before they're gone.

I had no clue Omissions was not on there. Now I'm pissed.

Christ, that's a big time miss by whoever was project managing the pressing.

I know in the past labels have replaced LP's for fuck ups like this, you may want to bend some ears to see if you can get them to fix it on their dime. It's a bit of a pain for the consumer, as you usually have to file a claim and wait for the new disc to ship, which can take months, but it's better than being stuck with an incomplete representation of your work.

Didn't open my copy of LOTGA yet and will have to consider sending it back to Amazon now that I know they botched that aspect. Will wait to hear if you get any answers.

The thing with the LOTGA release is that it really should have been a double 10-inch - it's too short to be a full double album.  (But a double 10-inch would probably have seemed confusing, especially from a marketing standpoint - it would have looked visually like a lesser release.)

If they'd released LOTGA on vinyl in 1995, it would have been one platter - "Omissions" would have been cut off as a bonus track and at least one of the album tracks would have gotten the axe as well.  Vinyl was a weird beast once albums were being recorded with CD lengths in mind - one of the many reasons that labels tried to kill vinyl in the 90s.  (It's not uncommon on early 90s releases to see "* CD-only bonus track" on the track listing.)

I would actually argue that there might not have that many staff working on these releases.  Lately, the typical re-release/remaster is an expanded re-issue.  (Example: The Hip's recent re-issue of Fully Completely.)  That stuff takes a lot of extra work, especially since they often come with expanded booklets/artwork as well.

LOTGA is also a bit of an oddball in that it's not clear who actually owns the masters and where they are.  It's not out of the question that the tapes would have been transferred to digital in one location and delivered in digital form to whoever did the mastering.  (Having said that, I'm assuming Universal would have still had the master reels in their possession as part of the distribution deal covering Darktown releases.)

Edited by uglyredhonda