mrjason

Looks Like Vinyl Releases Of Back Catalog Are Coming

Same, and considering they all came in Top 10 on the Vinyl charts, they might go out of stock quicker than you anticipate. I picked up at least Hospital Music and Beautiful Midnight, I think I'm gonna go grab the other 3 today before they're gone.

Yeah, good point about them being in the top charts.  Okay, so I think I should get them.  Where is the HMV in Ottawa you got yours from?  And, did they have a lot left?  I'm in NY but only about an hour from Ottawa, so I could easily get them in person to save from shipping costs to the US. 

Edited by Krista

I received my Chaotic Neutral vinyl today, nearly 4 months after the release of the album and 5 months after first pre-ordering it. lolz The saga is over.

You should win an award for patience. That's a very long time to wait for something in the mail. I thought waiting 6 weeks for something coming by "DHL" shipping was bad. That's how long it took for me to receive a Matthew Good black mug from a scam company called teechip. They sent me a maroon mug instead. They can't even get the colors right.

Edited by girl

Yeah, good point about them being in the top charts. Okay, so I think I should get them. Where is the HMV in Ottawa you got yours from? And, did they have a lot left? I'm in NY but only about an hour from Ottawa, so I could easily get them in person to save from shipping costs to the US.

HMV at the St Laurent Shopping Centre. They don't sell vinyl at the downtown Rideau location. Apparently they had some copies at Bayshore Shopping Centre and at Place D'Orleans but I was there so I don't know. At St Laurent last week they only had 1 LOTGA left, 2 Underdogs and 2 Raygun. I bought HM and BM I don't remember seeing another of those. You can call ahead and ask them to set one aside for you though.

You should win an award for patience. That's a very long time to wait for something in the mail. I thought waiting 6 weeks for something coming by "DHL" shipping was bad. That's how long it took for me to receive a Matthew Good black mug from a scam company called teechip. They sent me a maroon mug instead. They can't even get the colors right.

Well the shipping was actually relatively quick! It was just the whole pressing of the vinyl issue that caused the delay. It only shipped out like a week and a half ago. Coming from another country I'll take that.

HMV at the St Laurent Shopping Centre. They don't sell vinyl at the downtown Rideau location. Apparently they had some copies at Bayshore Shopping Centre and at Place D'Orleans but I was there so I don't know. At St Laurent last week they only had 1 LOTGA left, 2 Underdogs and 2 Raygun. I bought HM and BM I don't remember seeing another of those. You can call ahead and ask them to set one aside for you though.

Good to know about the Rideau.  And I will definitely call first to check on the stock.  Thank you!

So far I've only had time to sample a few tracks off of each album but initial thoughts:

-they all sound great but some sound better than others. Ie Chaotic Neutral doesn't stand out as much. That being said - the quieter/lusher songs like Tiger By the Tail and Los Alamos sound beautiful on vinyl...almost haunting...

-LOTGA and Raygun sound "fuller"....especially Geoff Lloyd's bass playing. It drives every single one of those songs. Miss him....

-Underdogs and Hospital Music are decent....but Beautiful Midnight is absolutely top notch - like it was meant to be on vinyl all the years. I think it's my fave.

Love the reissues, so happy that this finally happened!!! I honestly can't even remember the last time I bought a cd, I've been on strictly vinyl for the last 6 years or so so this is just swell  :D

But has anyone else run into this problem, or just me? I've replayed the song numerous times but cannot seem to fix it. It just gets stuck there  <_<

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBBVIHvj-IL/ 

Very disappointed as this was the record I wanted the most. Still have one side of Beautiful Midnight to listen to and all of Raygun, but that is the only issue I've had so far.. suuuuuucks. 

Gonna be trying to do an exchange.

So I had this issue with my order from Amazon. Exact same part of the song. Had them ship me a replacement, same issue! They won't send another so I'm sending both back - at this point I don't know how to guarantee a working copy of this record... I can't seem to find a discussion of this anywhere - this is a major manufacturing error!! anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

So I had this issue with my order from Amazon. Exact same part of the song. Had them ship me a replacement, same issue! They won't send another so I'm sending both back - at this point I don't know how to guarantee a working copy of this record... I can't seem to find a discussion of this anywhere - this is a major manufacturing error!! anyone have any advice on how I should proceedAlthuogh

Although I don't have the same issue as what you're getting, I've been getting lots of unwanted white noise in "99% of us is Failure" and nowhere else on the lp. I'm going to have to return it and see if another pressing is better. Anyone else experiencing issues with quality on Hospital Music or other pressings? 

Guest Idioteque

In "99% of us is Failure" there's already altered vinyl static within the song to make it sound like it's being played on a record player. So when it's actually played as an LP there's x2 white noise added, so you're getting twice the crackle & pop shovelled into your ears.

2:10 as an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiK-ry9blS8

So I had this issue with my order from Amazon. Exact same part of the song. Had them ship me a replacement, same issue! They won't send another so I'm sending both back - at this point I don't know how to guarantee a working copy of this record... I can't seem to find a discussion of this anywhere - this is a major manufacturing error!! anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

oh my god... I just got my replacement in the mail from Amazon... skips at the EXACT SAME spot again... FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK hduiyfblweiqyfvlqeiywvflwyvchewvqjchvbdhwchjlvbdhjvbchdiwqveuyvufiewvhdbvhjcbvdjlhasbdhjbceiubchdbvhdjbcdhkbkas;nejkwbcvjdkbsuvewqbvbdf;qwvjbw

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of my vinyl yet but this made me nervous...so I checked 99% and it was fine. Phew! I'd say check/replace your stylus but the fact it happens in the same spot on 2 records makes it sounds like a pressing issue. Unless it's such a tiny defect that your stylus somehow picks it up?? Each turntable has its own uniqueness to it...for example, I've heard some have trouble playing the heavier weight 180g vinyl vs standard vinyl.

In "99% of us is Failure" there's already altered vinyl static within the song to make it sound like it's being played on a record player. So when it's actually played as an LP there's x2 white noise added, so you're getting twice the crackle & pop shovelled into your ears.

2:10 as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiK-ry9blS8

Wow, I completely forgot about the static added into the song. I'm going to have to go back and listen again, although I feel like I heard it in some other songs as well.

As for getting twice the crackle and pop, you shouldn't get any more than what's already in the song as long as the record is clean, has had the static removed, and isn't scratched. Records, in theory, should be one of the best sounding formats if you have a good setup and prepare the vinyl properly. 

oh my god... I just got my replacement in the mail from Amazon... skips at the EXACT SAME spot again... FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK hduiyfblweiqyfvlqeiywvflwyvchewvqjchvbdhwchjlvbdhjvbchdiwqveuyvufiewvhdbvhjcbvdjlhasbdhjbceiubchdbvhdjbcdhkbkas;nejkwbcvjdkbsuvewqbvbdf;qwvjbw

This thread reminds me of things I used to hear when I was a kid, when vinyl was still a thing.  :)

People used to tape pennies to the top of the cartridge (where the needle is) to put more weight on it when skips like this happened.  (This is a bad thing to do - it'll cause the record to wear out faster.)

You may just need to make adjustments to your turntable.  Depending on the model, you should check the counterweight setting on the tone arm to make sure there's enough weight on the needle.  (Google the model to see how to do that if it's not in your instructions.)  A slight alteration might get it over that spot.

Btw - if anyone else has this problem with BM, don't bother returning it unless you just don't want it.  If it's in the same spot, it means the pressing is affected.  The only reason to exchange it would be if it was a one-off scratch in a different location.

I'm just not buying this has affected the entire pressing. I can see a noticeable scratch running around the entire record during 99%. I have a Project Debut Carbon tuned exactly right that plays hundreds of records with no issues at all. There is definitely an issue here, maybe just with a batch that was shipped to Amazon... I am picking up a copy from local record store this week and opening it there to determine if the scratch persists. Both amazon copies are heading back soon after.

I'm just not buying this has affected the entire pressing. I can see a noticeable scratch running around the entire record during 99%. I have a Project Debut Carbon tuned exactly right that plays hundreds of records with no issues at all. There is definitely an issue here, maybe just with a batch that was shipped to Amazon... I am picking up a copy from local record store this week and opening it there to determine if the scratch persists. Both amazon copies are heading back soon after.

I've not been able to notice a scratch on mine but then again I have not looked all that hard... I have a Rega P1 turntable that also been tuned just right, I've even tried readjusting the tonearm to play this and its just a no can do type situation. I am also under the impression that its an issue with the batch shipped to amazon (hopefully) and will too be picking one up at a local store this week... looking forward to hearing what happens with your newly purchased copy...

Well I'll be damned. I'm having an issue in the same spot. Mine skipped over two words and continues to play. I adjusted the antiskate all the way up and it did play the whole line through but with a bit of crackle where the skip would have been.

And for what it's worth, I ordered from Matt's online store.

So after another listen to Hospital Music, I was wrong about the static, but am also experiencing the skip issue described by other posters. I played through Beautiful Midnight last night as well and noticed that on side D the music is only playing through one channel. When I flip the record to side C (or play any other record) I have no issues and it plays through both channels great. Anyone else experiencing this?

It looks I'll be exchanging, at least, two LPs through Amazon. 

Underdogs sounded great and I'm going to play Raygun and LOTGA soon. 

If anyone is wondering if it's my setup, I can 99% guarantee it's not. My record player (Thorens TD 125 MKII), my amp (Radford HD 250), and speakers (Radford M180) are all in great working order and have been professionally tuned up within the past year.