Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

Looks like typical MG font style of the last few records so it's very possible. 

I'm not a big fan of No Liars.  It has a sort of catchiness and the middle of it has a part I like but there's something I don't like about it.  And I think the first Kid Down The Well is better.

Looks like typical MG font style of the last few records so it's very possible. 

I'm not a big fan of No Liars.  It has a sort of catchiness and the middle of it has a part I like but there's something I don't like about it.  And I think the first Kid Down The Well is better.

That might be why Matt took it down so quickly, it has potential but isn't where it needs to be, yet...

it's probably not may 15. mg still hasn't gone in to record yet.

Agreed, it's not enough time, but great to know the new album is coming soon.

There was this picture too.

attachicon.gifstatic.squarespace.com.jpg

That's right, I wonder who created these images?

Edited by Cartmanx

That might be why Matt took it down so quickly, it has potential but isn't where it needs to be, yet...

Agreed, it's not enough time, but great to know the new album is coming soon.

That's right, I wonder who created these images?

I think I remember that image on the website and he had said they came from someone he knew, a family member or friend maybe? For some reason that sounds familiar.

ETA:

Ah here, "painting by Trudy Good"

http://www.matthewgood.org/news/2015/1/3/missed-one-demo-up

Edited by mackie1023

Question, earlier in this thread I saw comments regarding 'The Lounge" where you could find live clips and all of these demos. There was a link however when I click it, it says that i dont have permission to view the forum. Is there a restriction?

Guest Idioteque

Oh for FUCK sakes lol.

Someone replied to me on Matthew Good's facebook page under "Good Matt" and I thought it was some fan page, god dammit. 

Question, earlier in this thread I saw comments regarding 'The Lounge" where you could find live clips and all of these demos. There was a link however when I click it, it says that i dont have permission to view the forum. Is there a restriction?

Need a certain amount of posts. 50, I think.

That new version of We Have Done This Before is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the first one, but this is far better. Especially with Warne producing it would sound mighty.

To me it still sounds like trying to recreate LOES just with more "traditional" instruments. Fine by be, though.That album had plenty to dig into sonically and this already does as well in demo form.

You know, with regards to a few of the demos, especially We Have Done This Before, I feel the same thing- sonically it's very much in LOES territory.

Whether or not that's a good thing is up for debate though. On a personal level, when it came to the album versions of certain songs- especially something like Non Populas- I was actually disappointed in the lack force the drums and guitar were recorded with at the end. It felt like something was missing that was only found when the song was translated live- mainly strong rhythm guitar and much heavier drums. That's not to say NP isn't a great song, but the live version feels like the proper version for some reason to me. With WHDTB, during the bridge in the second version (which I have to state again is fucking fantastic), it seemed like it was going to build towards a really interesting and proper climax, but then it just kind of jogs towards the end in a fairly mediocre fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the quiet and subtle demos Matt has created for the album so far (Los Almos and Cold Water being top among them), so I'm not saying everything needs to be Explosions in the Sky rock out loud. I also understand the drive to avoid what Matt once dubbed "Metallica power chord distortion", and try builds in a different fashion, but in songs where there are builds or 90 degree turns it's somewhat off putting to hear them not really get to a proper climax. Shallow's Low is another example of that for me on LOES. Great melody and build, but the drums never really hit full steam and instead of using some heavy guitar in the rhythm and background near thend, he relies very strongly on horns and piano, and unfortuantely it feels like the song falls short of what it intended to do. Same with with the title track- lots of synth and piano, but compared to the live version, the song feel somewhat like it's missing its guts.

I'm hoping when he goes into record WHDTB it is recorded the way it would be played live. I realize studio and live preformances are completely different animals because when you go into the studio you generally haven't preformed the song live yet, but some reworking of the 3rd section, or at least much louder and powerful guitar/drum work would be preferable, imo, to recording in the same vien that the above mentioned tracks of LOES were.

Edited by daniel_v

The live version of Lights of Endangered Species was amazing. I love how the rhythm guitar really crushed it at the end, where on the album, it might have been a little anemic. I think he was just finding a way to translate the songs live though, and the guitar HAD to carry what they couldn't replicate on tour.

Army Of Lions

Go on now come alive
nothing in here is true
nothing but the hole they’ve measured out for you
if you’ve tried to sing along but never known the tune
in your heart come realize you’ve got an army of lions
and all the claws they bring
got an army of lions to ruin everything 

Go on now come to life
got nothing left to lose
nothing but the hole punched clear and ever through
that never sings along, that’s never been in tune
in your heart come realize you’ve got an army of lions
and all the claws they bring
got an army of lions to rule everything

Song selection for this album has been difficult. While we don’t start pre-production until next week, we’ve had to take a hard look at what we’re going to do as we have to cut two songs. 

While it’s a favourite with some, Night Orders won’t be recorded. It was fun to demo, but for me the song doesn’t really progress. The other is We Have Done This Before, We Will Do It Again, which is ironic because that’s precisely why we chose to cut it - because I’ve done that sort of thing to death somewhat. Avalanche, Champions, Empty’s, Non Populous, etc.

This album, more than any other, will differ very much sonically, and maybe even idealistically,  from the demos. Warne is producing this album, and by that I mean that I’m not sticking my nose into things. I’m the artist and I’m very much up for embracing proposed dramatic changes in sonics, etc.

Looking forward to the new album, how much production time do you have Matt?

That such a thing exists was a good read, I've missed your insightful commentaries.

Edited by Cartmanx

Not gonna lie, losing Night Orders is quite the blow.  I loved that you belted it out a little more in that song, something you hardly do anymore.  I'm also sort of disappointed about the other song, but at least Los Alamos and Cold Water are (hopefully) staying.  Thankfully we have the demos so thank you MG and I'm looking forward to hearing what you're talking about.

Guest Idioteque

Dang, "Night Orders" would have been a fantastic song on the new record, I loved how strong you sang, it was one of my favourites next to "Moment". 

Edited by Idioteque

Song selection for this album has been difficult. While we don’t start pre-production until next week, we’ve had to take a hard look at what we’re going to do as we have to cut two songs. 

While it’s a favourite with some, Night Orders won’t be recorded. It was fun to demo, but for me the song doesn’t really progress. The other is We Have Done This Before, We Will Do It Again, which is ironic because that’s precisely why we chose to cut it - because I’ve done that sort of thing to death somewhat. Avalanche, Champions, Empty’s, Non Populous, etc.

This album, more than any other, will differ very much sonically, and maybe even idealistically,  from the demos. Warne is producing this album, and by that I mean that I’m not sticking my nose into things. I’m the artist and I’m very much up for embracing proposed dramatic changes in sonics, etc.

Wow....just...wow.

That is mind boggling. Just goes to show you the difference between what the artist/creator hears and wants, and what some listeners/fans hear and want. 

Really appreciate that you're willing to share stuff like that with us though Matt, and it's your album so obviously you can do whatever you want, but I have to agree with most of the posts- losing Night Orders is a huge blow. Same with We Have Done This Before (would have loved to have heard that one live). 

To me there are "far" weaker demos you've done before sonically as well (Tiger, while different sonically from anything you've done before goes pretty much nowhere, and Girls in Black and Army are almost entirely built on straight bass lines which you have done to death in previous songs before too such as Giant, Great Whales, and Fought to Fight it). 

But again, your album. We're all just spectators so I respect that your opinion is the one that matters in the end. Plus I get that it's unfair to judge the unfinished product based on demos so who knows.

Either way best of luck with the recording process! 

Edited by daniel_v

I disagree. I think he ditched the right songs.

That's cool, everyone is free to have their opinions. I need to stop bitching all the time anyways and just be content. There are still some fantastic demos in there anyways including Cold Water, Los Almos, No Liars, and Kid Down the Well. Really looking forwards to hearing those and even if I don't like the finished product we still have the lo-fi demos Matt was nice enough to share. It's all good. 

Edited by daniel_v

officially retitled to "We Have Done This Before, We WON'T Do This Again"

Good call on giving them the chop, though. If I were to think aloud on here, I would even cut another 1 or 2 and keep it nice and tight. The songs seem so dense already (just add Warne in there and it's another world) that it seems like just an overwhelming amount of stuff to absorb sonically for anything more that 45 minutes. But of course stuff gets minimized or chopped up in production so it's a whole new ballgame. Less is more they say. I still wish Hospital Music was paired down to 10 songs. it has it's "sound" and it's great but with as much of it as there was I felt it lost the sparse attitude that worked so well on most of it.

I do love the hypothetical banter, though! Either way the songs making the cut are all good so it will be a fun one no matter what. Always cool to hear about it here first, though. I want to know who is going to be on it...although it seems like most of it's all figured out plus with Warne taking production control I imagine it will be Matt playing most of it with Pat on drums because he is an absolute drumming monster with his shiny bald head.

This is good news to me, as I really didn't enjoy your self-produced sound on the last record.  Warne really gives your music a nice kick.

This is good news to me, as I really didn't enjoy your self-produced sound on the last record.  Warne really gives your music a nice kick.

I hope that means you will be buying his music.

(y)  (y)  :wand:  (8)