Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

Definitely love this app... came home from work tonight surprised by it. I love what he did with Harridan and TBTT, if I had to pick a few favs.

I always say I'll hold off and not listen to anything until it comes out, but that never seems to work for me. It's always awesome to hear the progression of the demos to the final cuts, though. I think it's great to be able to hear the whole process, but I know everyone has different views on that, which is great.

In any event, the man continues to make truly incredible, beautiful records.

Loving Kid Down the Well, beautiful track!

So I may be in the minority but I have a Windows phone (which I love) however, the new MG app is only for Android and iPhone, so I have to wait and also miss out on future content!

Aw that stinks. Maybe they will do an update to the app to include Windows at some point, hopefully soon!

Did anyone notice Army of Lions was removed from the album stream/Soundcloud widget on the app? If it's just me, maybe I have to delete and redownload it, but since last night the song has been missing. It was there when I originally downloaded the app, but not long after, it was gone.

Edited by jackwork

I'm really liking the album. When all the demos were released I recorded them with my phone so I could keep listening to them, but I missed Harridan and Cloudbusting. Everything is sounding amazing. The finalized versions of everything gives me chills.

Really, really loving Harridan, Los Alamos and Moment. (Kid Down the Well is a favourite, I even already learned my own cover version of it. But the other songs are newer and shinier right now since KDTW is already out with the other iTunes prereleases)

I managed to get it to work at my work, and I've listening to everything. I love everything, but I think Cold Water lost something when recorded in the studio. I don't know what it is, but it had something raw or unrefined in the demo that was smoothed over. But overall I love the album.

EDIT - Wait, did Army of Lions not making the album!?!

I managed to get it to work at my work, and I've listening to everything. I love everything, but I think Cold Water lost something when recorded in the studio. I don't know what it is, but it had something raw or unrefined in the demo that was smoothed over. But overall I love the album.

EDIT - Wait, did Army of Lions not making the album!?!

No it did. If you go look on iTunes, Army of Lions is still listed. Maybe they had an issue with the file on soundcloud.

So I've listened to all the studio tracks (aside from Army of Lions) on the app and I think this is a really solid album; all the recordings turned out well and I don't feel like there is any filler. It'll take a few listens and some time but this might be ranked pretty highly compared to Matt's other albums, personally speaking.

edit: My reasoning is that (1.) some of his albums didn't click for me right away and this one has, and (2.) I was apprehensive about the demos but the studio recordings seem to have turned out a lot better.

Edited by IamNick

Guest Idioteque

Yeah I'm the same, but I think I'm really digging this album more than his other ones because this is the first time I actually listened to demos before the finished product and saw the progress of each song evolve. 

The overall sound of this album is just so rich. It's kind of like a super matured mix of all the other stuff. Warne really did a bang up job, and there are a lot of vocal nuances in there that give it an extra layer of depth and emotion for me.

"Rich" is also the word I'd use to describe the completed songs and the production. I understand the raw, stripped down appeal of the demos and how easy it is getting attached to them (I think partly because it's our first time hearing them). But for me, in this particular case anyway, the deeper, fuller, more ambitious sounds of the finished tracks win out. Especially on songs like Harridan and Girls in Black. The instrumentation on those is unreal!

And you're right........Warne definitely deserves his fair share of the credit for that. When he announced the production duties, I think Matt tweeted something to the effect of, "he's better at sounds than I am." That doesn't mean albums like HM, Van or Arrows are inferior in any way. I love those albums. It's just nice to have a guy working the boards who can add another dimension to what are already brilliant songs, especially coming off a great, but fairly straight ahead rocker like Arrows.

How's the cover of Cloud busting?

It sounds great and definitely honours Ms. Bush and the original version. I thought Matt might have just used Holly to sing back-up, but it really is more of a duet. In fact, to my ears, her voice seems a little louder when they're both singing.

I want to maintain some element of surprise too. I already listened to Girls in Black, No Liars, and All You Sons and Daughters.

I will hold off listening to Kid Down The Well and the rest of the album, until my CD arrives in the mail. There's no better feeling than listening to a new album on my CD player for the very first time and looking at the liner notes. That's my favorite time.

Next time, I probably won't listen to demos or pre-order songs. I never did that before. Unfortunately, I ruined the surprise this time around. Lesson learned. I like being surprised and blown away when I hear new music.

I know what you mean. That was always the way I approached it as well. But this time I decided to switch things up and embrace the process as it went along. No right or wrong way; both build anticipation in their own ways. But you're definitely right about that initial listen on release day. So enjoy it for those songs you've managed to resist listening to!

Army of Lions is up on the app now. Very very different from the demo, probably the most different of all the songs. I like it though. Much more of a modern rock sound (steady driving beat). Different than his usual sound, but cool.

I think after a bunch of listens that Kid Down the Well is my favourite. Not a huge fan of any of the singles, but I like the rest of the album a lot. I agree that rich would be the word to describe the mixing.

Not a huge fan of Cold Water.

Army Of Lions blew me out of the water, can't wait to hear that one live.

I preferred the Cold Water demo, I don't know why. And yeah Army of Lions is cool. I enjoy Harridan a lot too, though I wish it was a bit longer like the demo. But it's got a good punch to it, and I love the bridge.

Not a huge fan of Cold Water.

Army Of Lions blew me out of the water, can't wait to hear that one live.

Did you like the demo of Cold Water?  Los Alamos and Cold Water are my favourites of the demos and possibly up there on his best songs ever so it's concerning to see criticisms of CW.

Guest Idioteque

I like the demo & the finished track by itself. But it has a bit of the "speed bump" effect while listening to the album from start to finish which is why I got turned off.