Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

Ha ha yes that's new! I just threw it up there because I thought it was funny. I have a bit of a naughty sense of humour. It doesn't have a story behind it and I just came up with it myself. Not from a TV show or anything that I know of. I try to be an optimistic and hopeful person but the joke is that it's not always easy or accessible.

As for a moderator doing it, I found the option in profile settings. Looks like it's a member title that we have the opportunity to customise. Once I saw that was available, I thought it would be fun to change it from time to time.

On a completely unrelated note, I finally found something worthwhile to watch on CBC. The Nature of Things is awesome as long as David Suzuki doesn't talk too much. He irritates me for no particular reason but I just saw the most amazing documentary on a spirit bear family.

I like it. It fits. You seem like an optimistic person. I didn't know members could change their title. I don't know who changed mine. It's a mystery.

I like watching the Nature Of Things episodes, when he has his daughter on with him and they go to different places, for example when they visited the Haida people. I will have to check out that documentary. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in the same boat so I'll follow your lead when you get a response back. This is a different kind of stress compared to the days of waiting for A&B Sound or HMV to open, searching the aisles for the box containing the CD and getting out as quick as possible.

Got a response today from Maple Music.

The digital download card is included with the physical vinyl.

So we will have to wait until the end of October for the vinyl to arrive to download all of the digital files.

Bummer.

Reminds me of when I ordered LOES. I had to wait like an extra month or more because there was a postal strike in Canada or something! It was brutal.

Edited by Gomo

Everyone's titles change every time they reach a certain number of posts. That is, unless you change it yourself.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Guest Idioteque

So has everyone received their signed preorder CD from Maple Music?
I haven't but with my luck they probably mailed it to the wrong address & I'll get stuck with an unsigned copy. 

I received my signed CD in the mail yesterday. If you bought vinyl at the same time, my guess is that they'll be shipping the CD and vinyl together on October 22 or 25. I saw this on Matt's facebook:

Oct. 22nd or 25th is when I believe Maple Music is shipping them out

Yep. That's the same thing that happened with Arrows. I ordered the CD and the vinyl and shipment didn't go out the vinyl was ready. You only paid for one shipping charge so no way they would send them seperately. They still sent the signed cd though so they must have a pretty good system.

Edited by mackie1023

Good question. I know people like to get stuff signed at shows, but I would imagine it would be much easier to carry in a cd than a vinyl.

Wish I could make a show this time around. The one time I got to meet him all I had with me for him to sign was the ticket stub hahaa.

ETA: I wonder if the cd sales projection is larger than the vinyl. Perhaps they assume that the vinyl won't be a huge seller? I mean, of course diehard collectors will want one but how many of us are out there really? Vinyl is making it's comeback but it might still be risky from a business standpoint.

Edited by mackie1023

Guest Idioteque

Well I asked Matt if he will be doing any autograph signings or photos for this tour and he said no, including VIP (which I think I should mention in his tour thread) so it's going to take awhile to get the vinyl signed lol, oh well though the man's health comes first. 

It all depends on the demand, that's why his vinyl is rare, each album only gets pressed 500-2000 times.
But since he is reissuing all his albums it kind of shows the demand, by pressing only 200-600 an album & see how fast they sell on this tour I'm sure they'll get a ball park on how many to press for store purposes. 

I wonder why Matt never bothered doing a "First 200 signed vinyl", that would be awesome. 

Probably just logistics.  I didn't get the signed CD of Chaotic Neutral from MM, but, in past years, he just signed 200 booklets.  If I'm not mistaken, for at least one album, MM sent a sealed (unsigned) copy of the album plus a signed booklet - they didn't assemble a "signed" copy.  Doing it that way is a negligable cost for him and/or MM. 

Vinyl would be way more of an effort, especially with the existing delays - pressing plants are maxed out right now.  (Pearl Jam has apparently had some of their live vinyl releases made in eastern Europe, since there were some plants available.  Who knows where Matt's are being pressed.)  I think the best we could hope for would be a signed insert.

But since he is reissuing all his albums it kind of shows the demand, by pressing only 200-600 an album & see how fast they sell on this tour I'm sure they'll get a ball park on how many to press for store purposes. 

This is the part that bums me out the most, there is no way I will be able to get one unless they don't sell out on tour and go up in the online store. 

Edited by mackie1023

This is the part that bums me out the most, there is no way I will be able to get one unless they don't sell out on tour and go up in the online store. 

I take it you're not going to a show, because you live in the States? I'm going to a show on November 21st.  My VIP ticket allows for crowd free shopping at the Merch booth. This likely happens before doors open, about 3.5 hours earlier. VIP members get early entrance to the venue. If you want vinyl and you don't own anything by then, do you want me to pick you up something? I'm not buying any vinyl. I may buy a lyrics book though. I'm not sure yet.

I get the feeling that these vinyls will be first come, first serve, depending on quantities available. Maybe they will run out of certain vinyl albums during the tour. You never know.

Guest Idioteque

I'm probably going to the Victoria show (first date of the tour) just so I can stockpile on merchandise, can't risk missing out lol.

I really love this album, I like how it is somewhat "chaotic", it shows all sides of Matt's music and I like that.  I can honestly say I really like every track on the album, I love Kid Down the Well and Cold Water though, and I think those will join the ranks of my favourite MG songs.  I'm happy Matt brought in Warne on this one, I just think the ones Warne are involved with sound better (not an audio expert so I can't get technical).  No knock to Matt's producing ability, I find that to be true with a lot of artists, it just doesn't sound as good when it's self-produced.  I'm thinking right now this is probably my favourite MG solo album, we'll see what I think in a year or so though.

I missed most of the demos, only heard a few and didn't save the ones I heard so I have no memory of how they sounded.  I'm glad that's what happened now, because now I don't have any demoitis.  I think it's a good idea for Matt to stop posting demos, I don't think it's a common practice anyway for other artists?  I think it's interesting that this thread is largely just people comparing the album versions of songs to demo versions.  Admittedly, I would probably be doing the same if I was familiar with the demos.  Prior to the release of Vancouver, I had fallen in love with the demo version of On Nights Like Tonight, it took me a while to ween myself off it and onto the album version.  Although, now I really love the album version (and that's the version I listen to).

It's interesting to hear Matt say he didn't determine the track order on this album.  Now that I look, it is mostly front-loaded with stuff that would be more palatable to the masses.  There is no question the idea of an album is dead, and I find that sad as well.  I'm part of the problem, I got an Rdio subscription in 2011 and haven't looked back since, it's how I consume all my music now.  Sometimes I just buy albums from my favourite artists on iTunes as more of a donation than anything.  I remember the excitement of returning home with a new CD and putting it in the stereo, then slowly falling in love with that over the coming days and weeks as an album.  With streaming, I've developed what I call "music ADD" now and find it hard to muster the patience to consume full albums anymore (with the exception of my very favourite artists).  I keep saying I'm going to get a turntable and start buying vinyl, and then force myself to listen to full albums that way.

Thx for posting this, Matt. Always great to hear it from your perspective. I purposely don't listen to the demos, in fact I try not to listen to the songs released days in advance of the full album release just so I can have that "Christmas morning" feeling on release day. Years ago I worked at a radio station and I remember when the singles (in addition to the actual singles on CD) used to be streamed via satellite feed to radio stations, and that's how I first heard Hello Time Bomb....and I thought THAT was really cool to have HTB on cassette before anyone else :)

Keep doing what you're doing - I've been buying your music, merchandise and concert tickets for 17 years and I can't see myself stopping anytime soon. In fact, I purchased a turntable today - so that I can collect and experience your music in a different format.

Looking forward to seeing your show in Calgary!

Guest Idioteque

It's special that we can see the progress of a song & hopefully Matt doesn't stop sharing them.
I don't think it's bad that people can enjoy a demo version more than a studio version, it's whatever that was captured in that moment in time we enjoy,
like rawness with the vocals or a certain arrangement. I don't see that being any different than enjoying a live version of a song more than a studio version, some of my favourite songs are from live shows.