and so in motions of all distortions I pull for my life

This cold water is weighing us down

oh how I wish I was with you and nowhere else

Late this morning I came by Hampstead in a Devon scow

that found me drifting just off of Rame Head near Plymouth Sound

In the room that we let I found your hairbrush broke on the ground

and so in motion, like stone in potion, I just laid down

http://www.matthewgo...demo-cold-water

e: mg have you picked a title that you can share yet?

Guest Idioteque

Probably the most chilled/relaxed song I've ever heard from Matthew, more than anything off of Lights Of Endangered Species.

I like it, doesn't grab you like any of the other demos he's released so far but I think that's the beauty of it.

I can imagine him playing this song with a smoke dangling from his lips and wearing a torn up suit in a dimly lit room.

/ Bob Dylan style.

To quote Matt:

"When I started working on this track, my remembrance of that sound didn
Edited by Idioteque

Guest Idioteque

Sexy.

Is pre-ordering off Amazon usually when Matt signs the first 100 cds or something, what he did with previous albums?

May be something completely different.

Edited by Idioteque

I like the musical arrangements for the last few demos, but I'm not a huge fan of the vocal style he's been using on some of them. Kind of this long drawn out raspy whispering. Hoping he starts belting out a little bit more. I know that may very well change once it hits the studio. Could just be conserving his voice on the demos because why overdo it for a sample.

Overall looking forward to a new album.

Edited by Gomo

I like the musical arrangements for the last few demos, but I'm not a huge fan of the vocal style he's been using on some of them. Kind of this long drawn out raspy whispering. Hoping he starts belting out a little bit more. I know that may very well change once it hits the studio. Could just be conserving his voice on the demos because why overdo it for a sample.

Overall looking forward to a new album.

I've noticed that too. More of a meandering, lazy sound (not lazy as in not trying, more like a lazy river). His earlier stuff was obviously of a frantic quality, and over time it's mellowed out a bit and developed kind of a twang, and now he seems to be doing this. I prefer the singing style from the early 2000s more (think Avalanche), but it's just a matter of personal taste. And it could just be for the demos, but I'd noticed it on Arrows of Desire too, on the slower tracks.

Edited by RileyLewis

I think LOES maybe had too much of this vocal style Gomo and that's part of what could be better with that album for me, more vocal variation. I like this style depending on the music and lyrics but it can get tiring if used too much. It's used in the new demo and Los Alamos for sure but I kind of enjoy it in the case of these two songs.

I'm liking the vibe of Cold Water and the mysterious aspect I'm getting from some of the lyrics to the new demos.

Guest Idioteque

The pain/sadness in his voice compliments these songs so far. Telling a story in a way, like he's a broken man.

Im sure he will give it more of a punch in the studio.

Guest Idioteque

I know right?

I was hoping for a heavy "Arrows of Desire/White Light Rock & Roll Review" Rock album but with these demos it seems like it is becoming an album he's yet to make in his career.

I know im excited, I hope he looks back into some of the songs he's scrapped though and try to re-work them.

Edited by Idioteque

Thanks Matt, for clearing all that up. I love the sound that you're getting, and it feels very raw and haunting. If something stayed the same for decades, it would be beyond stale. I like that you can change musical styles and tones and keep making incredible music

That mix of Waits and Hollis would be something else!!

I also apologize for starting the whole preorder thing!! I thought it was odd/early to have it as a May release

Edited by hoogie

Guest Idioteque

Thanks for the update Matt.

It's the same topic I try defending singers like Billy Corgan or Eddie Vedder, they will never sound like they did in their 20's when they're in their 40's, some people can't comprehend change.

I hope you let loose with your vocals on this album, I hear your voice as its own instrument just like a guitarist would decipher a solo, it always amazes me how you're always different & trying new things on each album.

Thanks for the update Matt.

It's the same topic I try defending singers like Billy Corgan or Eddie Vedder, they will never sound like they did in their 20's when they're in their 40's, some people can't comprehend change.

I hope you let loose with your vocals on this album, I hear your voice as its own instrument just like a guitarist would decipher a solo, it always amazes me how you're always different & trying new things on each album.

I'm a big Billy Corgan fan, and he is a good example of the way an artist's voice changes over time. I've heard him through every phase of his career. He's much less aggressive now, which is fine. He doesn't have to be. As such, the kinds of songs he's writing have changed overall. My original comments about the vocal style weren't to suggest that Matthew Good should "sound like he did in his 20's." It's not about not comprehending change or anything like that. Everybody's just got preferences, that's all.

That being said, who am I to argue with the artist's vision? If that's what he's looking for in the track then all the more power to em. I was curious to know if he was holding back just because it's a demo, but if that's the intent then go for it. I like moody music as much as the next fellow. I have no doubts Matt Good will churn out some epic stuff.

Guest Idioteque

Just to clarify my comment wasn't hounding at you Gomo it was towards the general youtube comments or facebook comments I see asking why Matt doesn't "growl" more like his MGB days and won't take into consideration the years of wear & tear/surgeries/smoking that catches up to any singer over time, unrelated to anything I've seen from all you great people on the forum.

I 100% agree with your comment made earlier, I'm excited to see Matt go all the way.

Cheers. :)

Fourth - the vocal style. No one on earth sings the same way for 20 years. Like any other part of your body, your voice also undergoes changes. There are notes that I can’t hit anymore. There are songs I can’t sing in their recorded form. I haven’t performed Apparitions in its actual key for years, and two years ago brought it down a whole step because I always sing it at the end of shows and it was just too hard.

Matt may have 20 years of wear on his voice but still puts out songs with really strong vocals. There's that one particular verse in Letters In Wartime that gives me chills, and makes it my favourite song off the album:

This is the time I’ve waited for you

Bordered a line I can’t ignore

Taken a life I’ve waited to come again

Edited by IamNick