AnOceanPearl

Solo Acoustic Shows - Calgary/vancouver

Guest Idioteque

Sounds interesting. :)

Hopefully I get to hear it soon.

(If somebody wants to take a chance at winning tickets for tomorrow)

"CFOX: At Stanley Park Brewery's launch party for their winter ale; Ice Breaker.

Warm up with one at London Public House with us and win Matthew Good solo acoustic tickets."

Edited by Idioteque

Damn awesome setlist, some real hardcore rarities in there, I've been hoping to hear a Boy and His Machine Gun since I went to my first show back in '08. Huge thanks to Girl for recording that one! I had hoped Matt might Live Road these shows, but he hasn't mentioned it, and he seems dissapointed in this show anyways, although listening to this recording through the first few numbers it seems pretty good so far! Anyways I can't wait for Thursday now!

Edited by adam_777

That was a fantastic show, I can see where casual fans might have gotten lost as there is almost no hits played. There was some technical issues and a few occasions where Matt got stuck on lyrics, but that's going to happen when he plays relatively unrehearsed songs with a lot of deep cut tracks. Unfortunately it sounded like Matt had to leave right after the show to make it back for the Vancouver show, so no autographs. I would definitely say that this was typical acoustic show in that there were lots of banter, lots of less commonly played tracks, and a lot more communication with the audience. Overall it's a great show and you guys in Vancouver are going to probably have a much smoother set based on the fact that he was able to play through a couple tracks in Calgary to get them right.

I didn't recognize omissions of the omen when he played in the encore, awesome to hear that and a boy and his machine gun.

Edited by finboy

Fuck that guy who said that was the worst show he's been to.

Yeah, that was so rude, in front of so many people too. I couldn't see him from where I was standing.

Edited by girl

That is a pretty fucking awesome setlist. I hope he'll keep playing Boy & His Machine Gun because I would definitely love to hear that...

Also happy to see Silent Army return.

I'm listening to the recording that girl uploaded. Shame so many people are talking during the show.

The version of Omissions of the Omen he played at the end was fucking awesome. I think better than the one I saw live a couple years ago.

Guest Idioteque

I'd love to get anything off of Vancouver.

I became a fan right after that tour, so I never got to hear half the songs off it.

Silent Army is a favourite of mine.

Matt has some really rowdy fans.

-A guy yelling out that its the worst show he's ever been to. (Did Matt say anything back?)

-"WOOT!!" & "EEEEKK!!" Throughout every song.

I remember a bunch of fans and I had to have a shushing war with guys at the bar in The Vogue because they would not stop screaming how drunk they are.

yeah I dunno what the deal is with the fans sometimes, I was at a show in Seattle a couple years back and the crowd was so rude and not into the show at all, most of them had their back to the stage and talked loudly throughout the entire set. Matt even mentioned it the next night in Portland how rude the crowd was in Seattle, but how awesome the crowd was in Portland, so he played I think 25-30 mins longer in Portland to thank the fans for giving a shit.

Matt has some really rowdy fans.

-A guy yelling out that its the worst show he's ever been to. (Did Matt say anything back?)

That's the part of the show where the guy said he was a long-time fan who bought all of his albums, but this was the worst Matt Good concert he has been to, or something along those lines. Matt then said something along the lines of, "Oh, it sucks that bad?". He said good on him for being honest about the show and he said "bless you". He was giving him props for telling it like it is. In a word, he was very polite to the guy.

Ive seen you over twenty times. Which is probably nothing compared to many here. Ive seen acoustic, full band and festival shows. Ive seen some where things were clearly clicking, somewhere the sound sucked and the mix was too low on some instruments. I can honestly say though ive never left a Matt Good show disappointed or feeling like there was something else I would have rather done with my night. A big part of that is I feel there is a spontaneous quality at your shows that I dont see often. You opened a show with a song being played live for a second time only followed by another song not played for fifteen years and never acoustically. All this at the first acoustic show you've played in awhile. That shit takes balls. I love that no matter how many shows ive been to or how many setlust ive seen alot of the time I have no idea what the hell is about to happen. Maybe your about to play the best version of a favourite song of mine. Maybe your about to pull a girl outta the crowd to hold lyrics for Running From Home so you dont fuck them up. Only to find there's a typo in the printed lyrics. Maybe your about to finally answer a guy screaming for weapon all night and show why it doesn't work acoustically while we attempt to sing along. I think its interesting your laying out what is essentially and explanation and apology. But you'll never owe me one. As long as you show up and try to do what you do ill be entertained. So keep on keeping on. See ya tonight!

That sounds like an amazing setlist, despite any imperfections or technical difficulties throughout the performance.

I love the newer songs off more recent albums, but to me nothing can compare to the nostalgia and emotional attachment I have to certain older songs, which when preformed live evoke emotions I honestly can't even describe.

I'm thankful that Matt chooses to play these songs that mean a lot to some of his long-term fans.

Setlist post from my phone.

Strange Days

Tripoli

Born Losers

A Boy and His Machine Gun

99% of Us is Failure

Truffle Pigs

Symbolistic White Walls

Prime Time Deliverance

So Long Mrs Smith

Metal Airplanes

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Omissions of the Omen

Load Me Up

Apparitions

Alert Status Red

A Silent Army in the Trees

Empty Road

Hopeless

Sort of a Protest Song

True Live Will Find You in the End

Guest Idioteque

^^^^

Pretty sure you were in front of me in line.

I was able to get second row in front of Matt.

Also...

I MET MATT AFTER THE SHOW! :b: :cd: :b: :cd:

I was the only one there which surprised me.

He came out (with his own marker, what a guy)

And told me about how he ALMOST played "Moment"

That would have been beautiful.

First acoustic show, 10/10.

Cannot wait for his tour next year.

(Signed stuff photo over in the "Matthew Good Encounters" Forum)

post-5240-0-51426600-1417167347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Idioteque

Yeah, he changed Omissions of the Omen. He was using a capo and strumming chords. It was cool.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the new takes on different songs and full props to Matt for trying something different.

However, I have to admit, when it comes to a song like Omissions, I really wish he wouldn't do that. One of things I always thought made Omissions such an impactful and classic song was that it was picked, not strummed. When I caught the version he played with Jay back in September I remember thinking to myself: "WTF?" The fact of the matter is that most people who play can strum. Scroll down a list of MG cover videos and it's just people strumming along MG songs. Each to their own but I find it horribly fucking plain and boring. When it comes to a song like Omissions, just strumming it removes the beauty and haunting effect it originally carried and replaces it with a flat, drawl progression anyone could have come up with.

But then again maybe that's just me. To me, the genius of Matt's work comes in his ability to combine melody with various other instruments and progressions, so I've never really been a fan of his acoustic stuff unless it is something like Rooms where he accompanied it with other instrumentation. What'd I'd love to see one day is an acoustic show where he's backed up by a few other musicians (maybe Anthony on piano and Jimmy on guitar) or even a full band acoustic similar to what OLP did back in 2000 for their I and I back at Much Music.

But again, just a personal opinion. Not bitching because, like I said, I give full props to Matt for being willing to switch things up and try new things in the first place.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the new takes on different songs and full props to Matt for trying something different.

However, I have to admit, when it comes to a song like Omissions, I really wish he wouldn't do that. One of things I always thought made Omissions such an impactful and classic song was that it was picked, not strummed. When I caught the version he played with Jay back in September I remember thinking to myself: "WTF?" The fact of the matter is that most people who play can strum. Scroll down a list of MG cover videos and it's just people strumming along MG songs. Each to their own but I find it horribly fucking plain and boring. When it comes to a song like Omissions, just strumming it removes the beauty and haunting effect it originally carried and replaces it with a flat, drawl progression anyone could have come up with.

But then again maybe that's just me. To me, the genius of Matt's work comes in his ability to combine melody with various other instruments and progressions, so I've never really been a fan of his acoustic stuff unless it is something like Rooms where he accompanied it with other instrumentation. What'd I'd love to see one day is an acoustic show where he's backed up by a few other musicians (maybe Anthony on piano and Jimmy on guitar) or even a full band acoustic similar to what OLP did back in 2000 for their I and I back at Much Music.

But again, just a personal opinion. Not bitching because, like I said, I give full props to Matt for being willing to switch things up and try new things in the first place.

When I listened to the bootleg I was happy that Machine Gun was similar to the original (even though he said he changed a few things, it still sounded true to the original to me anyway), but i was also happy that he changed up Omissions. I felt like the strumming version he did on previous tours didn't translate as well live. The version I heard from Calgary seemed to be a bit better for some reason.

Overall another great setlist and glad to see he's mixing it up a bit.

Edited by Gomo

The problem with doing Omissions like the recorded version is that it was recorded using a Roland Space echo that was being moved in free time while I was playing. The picking is dead simple, and would be empty without a delay on it. When I first started doing the song again on the US acoustic tour a few years ago, we tried to use a delay pedal - but that poses a problem, where do you set the tempo? When you play acoustically, one of the BIG factors in a performance is being able to nuance songs, that means slowing down, speeding up, playing softer and harder, all to bring out a song's possibilities in that format and MOST OF ALL, to place emphasis on the lyrical content (in my case anyway). So using a delay pedal that can be foot-tapped for time would also be pointless as the ability to nuance the song would mean changing the tempo constantly, and I'm not into dancing on a pedal during a song like that.

Omissions is 1110% all about the lyrics. Even though I wrote it over 20 years ago, it remains one of the best lyrical numbers I have. It was also originally recorded with a drop-tuning capo that they used to make back in the 90's, which is what I also used on Fearless. they don't make them anymore. So, in truth, actually doing the true note pattern is impossible unless a guitar is singled out for that song, split gauge strings are used, and it's set up for a specific tuning and that's it.

Why the guitar works on the recording is because it is utterly drowned in space echo. the second and third notes of each note are echoes, not played.

Matt, if you look into the strymon el capistan, it can simulate the space echo beautifully and accepts expression on any assigned parameter, meaning you could change the delay time in real time with your foot during the song. Per capo, the spider capo might be worth looking at, it specializes for alternate tuning...

http://www.spidercapo.com

Either way, I think your version was great, and I really hope you will consider another acoustic tour.

Edited by finboy

Guest Idioteque

Finboy, Matt said during his show that he's doing an acoustic tour next year.

Album out in March, acoustic tour starts in April if I heard him correctly.

Hopefully that helps. :)

2015 is going to be awesome.

:sparq:

I'm listening to the recording that girl uploaded. Shame so many people are talking during the show.

yeah I dunno what the deal is with the fans sometimes, I was at a show in Seattle a couple years back and the crowd was so rude and not into the show at all, most of them had their back to the stage and talked loudly throughout the entire set. Matt even mentioned it the next night in Portland how rude the crowd was in Seattle, but how awesome the crowd was in Portland, so he played I think 25-30 mins longer in Portland to thank the fans for giving a shit.

Yeah, it has been this way the last two Matt Good concerts I have been to, especially this last one. Crowd yelling during a song is distracting and it is hard to enjoy the actual music.There is no safe zone away from the chatty people either, unless maybe if you are front row centre.

In a perfect world, the audience would make loud noise before and after a song only. I guess one only can only dream. Take Jeff Buckley's live performance of Lilac Wine for example, in the video below. The audience was so well behaved. The crowd was quiet like this during Lilac Wine on his 2007 live album So Real: Songs from Jeff Buckley as well. It is amazing. It is easy to get lost in the music without all of the distractions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yo3M2Z0tD0

I remember at Matt's acoustic performance at the Jack Singer Hall, the crowd was exceptionally quiet during a few ballads. You could hear a pin drop. I loved it, but that didn't last for long. The crowd yelling during songs continued as usual.

Edited by girl

Really? How could he have an album out or have an idea for a March release when he just re-started the demoing stage? Then there's all that goes with recording and promotion. Seems highly unlikely at best, but it would be amazing. Has me pretty anxious for an earlier than expected release nonetheless.